RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-29-2016, 03:54 AM   #9081
Crusin81

Inside Water Leaks

Click image for larger version

Name:	Toilet leak-1a.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	124100

Name:	Toilet leak-2a.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	124101

Name:	Toilet leak-3a.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	124102Never Ends,

Just as soon as I figure out one issue another pops up.

So I am in the bathroom and something shiny catches my eye. so I bend down to take a look and see a stainless coffee cup. I go to grab it outa there and realize there is water in it. I feel the water connection to the toilet and it was wet. then I look at the wall and notice the paneling starting to peel back, so I help it along and notice a real problem, the moisture has started growing mold. luckily it appears that it is just surface mold but never the less mold just the same.

OK, I tighten the fitting, then check for leaking a few times until it was no longer leaving wet marks on my finger after I had wiped it off. ( seriously afraid to brake the plastic fitting) flushed it a few times to get the water flowing and it appeared to be tight now. so now my problem is the mold....

I hear that a 50-50 solution of bleach and water will kill the mold. the only thing I don't want to ruin the color of the floor or paneling. does anybody have another idea? I was going to spray this mixture on it several times thru out the week then let it fully dry for a week, then scrape off all I can and then cover it all back up with the panel that is now half off.

If anyone knows a better way to get rid of it please let me know.

I attached a few photos.

O' Ya, talked to the wife about the coffee cup, she forgot to let me know.
2014 sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:31 AM   #9082

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014 sierra View Post
Attachment 124100

Attachment 124101

Attachment 124102Never Ends,

So I am in the bathroom and something shiny catches my eye. so I bend down to take a look and see a stainless coffee cup. I go to grab it outa there and realize there is water in it. I feel the water connection to the toilet and it was wet. then I look at the wall and notice the paneling starting to peel back, so I help it along and notice a real problem, the moisture has started growing mold. luckily it appears that it is just surface mold but never the less mold just the same.

OK, I tighten the fitting, then check for leaking a few times until it was no longer leaving wet marks on my finger after I had wiped it off. ( seriously afraid to brake the plastic fitting) flushed it a few times to get the water flowing and it appeared to be tight now. so now my problem is the mold....

I hear that a 50-50 solution of bleach and water will kill the mold. the only thing I don't want to ruin the color of the floor or paneling. does anybody have another idea? I was going to spray this mixture on it several times thru out the week then let it fully dry for a week, then scrape off all I can and then cover it all back up with the panel that is now half off.

I attached a few photos.

2014 Sierra,you have a Host of Issues,some self Inflected some by F/R! The Coffee Cup is "Self Inflected" the Window is F/R,But as others on the Forum lately have Discovered you can use a I phone "Left Handed and turn Pictures "Upside/Down" try that for the Window repair! For the Mold use "Clorox" strait! Youroo!! PS,your Dealer should reverse the Window for N/C!
Old 10-29-2016, 06:34 AM   #9083

Do not use bleach on the mold. They sell stuff just for that. My neighbor works for a company that fixes things like that. Even said it on the news during the NC flooding.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #9084

Quote:
Attachment 124098

Attachment 124099

my neighbor and figured it out, the manufacture (Forest River) had installed the window upside down. couldn't believe it till I looked at the other side and compared. I guess the drain holes would actually work if they were at the bottom of the window, not the top of the window.

I attached a couple pictures so you can get your laugh for the day. LOL
I think you lucked out, so to speak. That should be a "relatively" easy fix.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:57 AM   #9085

Turned the around bathroom cabinet around, the way FR installed (opposite of the bottom cabinet) it the door opened toward the shower which made a very tight space to see in the cabinet when the bathroom door was shut, I turned the cabinet over 180* problem fixed bottom pic fR install, top my fix
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0147.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	124145   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0146.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	124146  
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #9086
Crusin81

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
2014 Sierra,you have a Host of Issues,some self Inflected some by F/R! The Coffee Cup is "Self Inflected" the Window is F/R,But as others on the Forum lately have Discovered you can use a I phone "Left Handed and turn Pictures "Upside/Down" try that for the Window repair! For the Mold use "Clorox" strait! Youroo!! PS,your Dealer should reverse the Window for N/C!
technically, the mold was self inflected but the leak was wear and tear. I wish I had an I phone, can I borrow yours? that would be SO MUCH EASIER than doing the work. I guess I will call Forest River on Monday. need to find out if there is a right and left side window? That could be the problem, I might have 2 left side windows. I will NEVER go back to the worthless dealer I bought it at, not only are they about 300 miles away, they simply don't take care of their customers. and their service department is not knowledgeable. I really don't mind doing any and all work on her now, 1) its inconvenient for me to move her everytime I find a little problem. 2) being a full-timer, its uncomfortable to have uninvited strangers in my home. (without me their) yes I have trust issues. 3) It's not hard work, It's something for me to do. seeing on how I am retired. any dealer or shop should be happy not to do warranty work, that's NOT where they make their money. and personally I take great pride in my own equipment.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:05 PM   #9087

New Sturgi-Stay extended stay kit on the propane tank and 30# external propane tank. Now I can hang out in it in the winter.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:18 PM   #9088

Loaded all the patio furniture (from the house) into the TH garage.Winterized last week so now we are ready to move it outback for the winter!Then I will be ready to push snow instead of camp.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:08 PM   #9089
Failure is my business

Busy. Fixed the hitch impingement issue I found. Installed a spare receiver on the ods of the frame to have a spot to store the hitch head when parked. Installed a pair of 30" scissor jacks near the axles to try to remove the bounce. Installed 4square safety struts on the bumper and mounted a 2" receiver back there to hold the new 24" x 60" cargo carrier. Which, amazingly and unexpectedly actually clears the OEM spare tire mount.

Now just waiting for the integrated surge suppressor to arrive.

(This is almost as expensive as farkling my old R12GSA. &#128515
Current vehicle list: 17 RAM 3500 4x4 Cummins Aisin 4.10, 16 Flagstaff 832IKBS, 14 RAM 1500 4x4 Hemi 3.92 Bilstein 5100's Derale oil cooler, 97 F150 4x4 5.4L 278,000 miles, 80 Firebird Esprit Aussie Burnout Car https://youtu.be/v06VjII7HmE, 78 Harley Davidson FX 79,000 miles dad bought new, 71 El Camino ZZ3 TH400 12-Bolt, 37 Ford 3 window 502 Chevy dad built
Days Camped: 2016: 43, 2017: 83, 2018: 44, 2019: 78
2Evil4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:44 AM   #9090

Quote:
Attachment 124100

Attachment 124101

Attachment 124102Never Ends,

I attached a few photos.

CRC makes a mold and mildew remover that is bleachless and will not hurt the floor or wood, that's all I use on mildew now. Bleach will also bleach your wood....

Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:24 AM   #9091
Crusin81

Bathroom water damage fix

Name:	20161030_130225.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	124313

Name:	20161030_152458.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	124314

Name:	20161030_194941.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	124315

So I figured out my fix for the water damage the leaking fitting caused. I want to thank all of you for your good advice.

after looking at this situation a little closer I figured out that it was only the tunnel for the plumbing that got damaged. So I removed it and found the top cover in good condition and only the part that was in contact with the floor was damaged. Then I separated the 2 pieces, trashed the damaged piece and re-used the top. After a little thought I decided to use some of the left-over Faux stacked stone that I had used in the living room and the stairs. knowing it is water, mildew and mold resistant I thought it was the perfect choice. I only had a 12" x 12" piece so I did a little cut and gluing and made the piece I needed. for tonight I just laid it in place to see how it would look and fit. tomorrow I am going to assemble, do some paint touch up, seal the entire piece with some satin clear coat, then install it and call it a day. opinions welcome.....
Old 10-31-2016, 06:58 AM   #9092

Finally got a chance to test the new water heater element and the propane connection to the water heater. Pleased to report that all works well and no leaks anywhere.
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:34 AM   #9093

Quote:
technically, the mold was self inflected but the leak was wear and tear. I wish I had an I phone, can I borrow yours? that would be SO MUCH EASIER than doing the work. I guess I will call Forest River on Monday. need to find out if there is a right and left side window? That could be the problem, I might have 2 left side windows. I will NEVER go back to the worthless dealer I bought it at, not only are they about 300 miles away, they simply don't take care of their customers. and their service department is not knowledgeable. I really don't mind doing any and all work on her now, 1) its inconvenient for me to move her everytime I find a little problem. 2) being a full-timer, its uncomfortable to have uninvited strangers in my home. (without me their) yes I have trust issues. 3) It's not hard work, It's something for me to do. seeing on how I am retired. any dealer or shop should be happy not to do warranty work, that's NOT where they make their money. and personally I take great pride in my own equipment.
Totally with you on all this. While my dealer is fine I will still do all my own work if possible. Most of us on here have taken the time to learn more about our rigs then the sales or service guys will ever know. I am not a full timer (wish I was) but I do believe that if you want it done right learn how to do it and then do it yourself.

Your bathroom fix looks great by the way. Nice job. As for the window I have heard they are pretty easy to pull out and guessing you can do that no problem. Good luck with it.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:52 AM   #9094

Loaded my jet ski into the toy hauler garage and parked them both until at least May. Sad day indeed. Had a great summer for our first time owning an RV.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:34 PM   #9095
Crusin81

DIY RV repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhounds View Post
Totally with you on all this. While my dealer is fine I will still do all my own work if possible. Most of us on here have taken the time to learn more about our rigs then the sales or service guys will ever know. I am not a full timer (wish I was) but I do believe that if you want it done right learn how to do it and then do it yourself.

Your bathroom fix looks great by the way. Nice job. As for the window I have heard they are pretty easy to pull out and guessing you can do that no problem. Good luck with it.
let me start by saying THANK YOU. I plan on finishing up the bathroom tomorrow, have to assemble then let the paint and clear coat dry before the final install. what I had posted was just a dry fit.

right now I am very happy with Forest River, I e-mailed them Sunday with the same pictures that I had posted about the window, they admitted to installing it wrong and there is a right and left side window. I actually just finished sending them another picture (the entire right (passenger) side of the RV) so that there is no mistake in which window I need. looking positive, will keep you posted on the outcome. WHATEVER THE OUTCOME IS at least I am being patient and learning more about my RV. just trying to iron out more wrinkles.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:13 PM   #9096

Flipping a window isn't hard. The inner flange retains the outer. One thing you need to be careful with is you need to take a very sharp razor knife and cut the seal silicone all the way around before removing the inner flange. Then it's a simple matter of flipping it.

Been there did that before (on a Lance TC if all things).
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:17 PM   #9097

I accidently started to back up in my driveway the other day with my power cord still plugged in. It pulled out the screws holding the plug base w/ cover.
I mixed epoxy with wood slivers in the screw holes & rescrewed them back in. I also had to expoxy the locking ring back together that split in half.
I have my routine down when pulling up camp while traveling- I goofed in my own yard! Lesson learned now.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:40 PM   #9098
Crusin81

completed bathroom water damage repair

Name:	Toilet leak damage-1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	124382
before, after finding the water damage

Name:	completed plumbing cover-2.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	124383
after completing the repair

Name:	completed plumbing cover-1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	124384
upside down angle

Got her done. no bad for a couple day project, most of the time was drying time, waiting for water to dry, waiting for mold killing solution to dry, waiting for adhiesive to dry, waiting for paint to dry waiting for silicone sealer to dry and finally waiting for the clear coat to dry. completed and installed. the pictures are before and after.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:15 PM   #9099
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Got her done. no bad for a couple day project, most of the time was drying time, waiting for water to dry, waiting for mold killing solution to dry, waiting for adhiesive to dry, waiting for paint to dry waiting for silicone sealer to dry and finally waiting for the clear coat to dry. completed and installed. the pictures are before and after.
Ya' "done good"....

Good looking repair!

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:53 PM   #9100

Carried Sandpiper to dealer today for warranty issues that needed fixing. Service guy asked me when I needed my unit back! I told him March 1. Had to help him up. He said no problem, he would keep me informed as the work was being done. So far I feel pretty good about taking her in. I am having a little separation anxiety though. LOL
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper