RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-14-2017, 05:45 PM   #11521

For the longest time I was hesitant to modify my rig, but the poor cooling ability of my fiver caused me to reconsider, and this year I've gone hog wild and have done plenty.

I have a 30A rig whose cooling power on hot days was underwhelming. All the features I wanted in the rig are there, but just not placed according to our lifestyle, and I added residential features that I'd never thought of before.

1. Added a 20A circuit to my rig to allow a running portable 12,500 BTU heat pump in addition to the rig A/C
2. Moved the table to the rear of the rig from the super slide
3. Removed one of the recliners, and moved the other to the super slide - I can now watch TV!
4. Added a 4" x 8" residential display shelf right next to my recliner for my wine glass
5. Moved the counter extension that was in the way to another side-I can now make the couch bed.
6. My A/C never worked properly - did a complete re-do and now it is icy cold
7. Replaced the awful Coleman Mach slide thermostat with a Honeywell digital residential unit
8. Added a magnetic door stop to the front door - no more plastic T latch
9. Added 12V LED strip lighting to the underside of the cabinets
10. Replaced the 120v outlets with residential units containing USB charge ports
11. Replaced two plain ceiling vents with remote control Fantastic Vents
12. Replaced all cell shades with residential drapes - now cooler and way easier to open and close
13. Installed a Furrion Observation System so I can now back up that long fiver without help
14. Replaced the old TV with a Roku TV so I can stream my Amazon Prime video
15. Added a Chromecast dongle to be able to stream my DirectTv subscription
16. Replaced all the incandescent bulbs with LED
17. Replaced the ceiling fan with a residential LED

It is a good think I just retired ;-)
2012 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins
owgpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:52 PM   #11522

Wow what a list
6 years weekend camping Class C
2017 camping 20 days and counting
Brand2328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:02 PM   #11523

Quote:
Originally Posted by owgpz View Post
For the longest time I was hesitant to modify my rig, but the poor cooling ability of my fiver caused me to reconsider, and this year I've gone hog wild and have done plenty.

I have a 30A rig whose cooling power on hot days was underwhelming. All the features I wanted in the rig are there, but just not placed according to our lifestyle, and I added residential features that I'd never thought of before.

1. Added a 20A circuit to my rig to allow a running portable 12,500 BTU heat pump in addition to the rig A/C
3. Removed one of the recliners, and moved the other to the super slide - I can now watch TV!
4. Added a 4" x 8" residential display shelf right next to my recliner for my wine glass
5. Moved the counter extension that was in the way to another side-I can now make the couch bed.
7. Replaced the awful Coleman Mach slide thermostat with a Honeywell digital residential unit
10. Replaced the 120v outlets with residential units containing USB charge ports
12. Replaced all cell shades with residential drapes - now cooler and way easier to open and close
13. Installed a Furrion Observation System so I can now back up that long fiver without help

Wow, you were in high gear. Good job. Maybe some pics would be nice.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:08 PM   #11524
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:

Wow, nicely done! Do you have more details on what you did to the A/C?

And, do you happen to have a link or picture of the magnet door stop for the front door?
Old 09-14-2017, 07:11 PM   #11525
Fulltime family RVer

For me, added a bluetooth dongle to my battery monitor. I can now see the state of charge and details from my phone.

Bought them the other day but just picked up from the camp office- two 10 Year Sealed Battery Carbon Monoxide Alarms for when we're running on the generator. The sealed/10 year battery ones were what we were required to put into our house when it was a rental. These will hopefully keep us safer during generator use.

I also saw smoke detectors that were linked together. I'm fairly certain that I'm going to get a 6 pack and put them around the house. One in each bedroom, one in each bathroom, one in the basement, and one as close to the rear of the fridge as possible.

I still need to get better fire extinguishers. When I tried traveling with the tire rubbing, I grabbed the fire extinguisher and put it into the truck to have it handy in case it was needed. I sure would like a truck dedicated one as well as better/more for the camper itself.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:27 PM   #11526
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
... I sure would like a truck dedicated one as well as better/more for the camper itself.
I've always mounted an ABC extinguisher just inside the tailgate in the corner of all of my trucks.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:35 PM   #11527

Washed and waxed the TT and Truck.

OK, paid someone to do it... It was cloudy so the pic doesn't do it justice but it was about 3-4 months of bugs and grime on it and the truck didn't look blue before it was washed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wash.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	151454  

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:42 PM   #11528
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I've always mounted an ABC extinguisher just inside the tailgate in the corner of all of my trucks.
I like that idea. Keeps it fairly out of the way but accessible.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:44 PM   #11529
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
Washed and waxed the TT and Truck.

OK, paid someone to do it... It was cloudy so the pic doesn't do it justice but it was about 3-4 months of bugs and grime on it and the truck didn't look blue before it was washed.
Heh, that's how mine get washed and waxed. Which also seems like it needs to be done as the neighbor offered me his powerwasher today if I wanted to wash my truck.....
Old 09-14-2017, 10:33 PM   #11530

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Wow, nicely done! Do you have more details on what you did to the A/C?

And, do you happen to have a link or picture of the magnet door stop for the front door?
I want to know too. Wife still not happy with cooling and I am not ready to pay for the second ac.

If your best was good enough today........
It won't be tomorrow.
Feldhege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:58 PM   #11531
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldhege View Post
I want to know too. Wife still not happy with cooling and I am not ready to pay for the second ac.
First things first, open up the shroud below the A/C and then each of the vents. Tape up all of the gaps (and there will be lots). Additionally, the duct work typically runs past the last vent- I like to tape a ramp on that one to force the air down into the room.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #11532

I have come to believe that my problems with the A/C was more than likely shoddy installation, and maybe the wrong A/C unit for the rig - it just looks strange to see a plywood spacer between the A/C and the inside of the ceiling. Heres's a link to my original story and what I did to fix it: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-142015.html

Here's a link to the magnetic door stop - seems like such a small thing, but what a pleasure it is not to need to latch the door! I left the original "T" latch at the bottom of the door just in case of high winds, and mounted this magnetic door stop at the top of the door where you don't even notice it.

The link: Everbilt 3 in. Satin Nickel Magnetic Doorstop with Catch-16096 - The Home Depot
2012 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins
owgpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #11533

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
Started digging a 90' ditch for conduit to feed a 50 A pedestal. In clay, rooted out a grand total of 7'.
I think I'd rent a ditchwitch.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #11534

Quote:

Wow you have been busy
pbandrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:03 PM   #11535

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post
I think I'd rent a ditchwitch.

I think I would just pay the man
Old 09-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #11536

Quote:
I have come to believe that my problems with the A/C was more than likely shoddy installation, and maybe the wrong A/C unit for the rig - it just looks strange to see a plywood spacer between the A/C and the inside of the ceiling. Heres's a link to my original story and what I did to fix it: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-142015.html

Here's a link to the magnetic door stop - seems like such a small thing, but what a pleasure it is not to need to latch the door! I left the original "T" latch at the bottom of the door just in case of high winds, and mounted this magnetic door stop at the top of the door where you don't even notice it.

The link: Everbilt 3 in. Satin Nickel Magnetic Doorstop with Catch-16096 - The Home Depot

magnetic door stop is perfect for our bathroom door that will not stay open when trailer is not perfectly level. I was going to use velcro on door knob but your trick is much better. Thanks for the idea
Old 09-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #11537

Quote:

magnetic door stop is perfect for our bathroom door that will not stay open when trailer is not perfectly level. I was going to use velcro on door knob but your trick is much better. Thanks for the idea
Old 09-15-2017, 04:50 PM   #11538

Continued digging trench, now 37 of 90', 41% done.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:17 PM   #11539

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
Continued digging trench, now 37 of 90', 41% done.
Are you anywhere near Raleigh NC? Got a 50 footer need dug. Broken electrical cable underground that feeds to a radio tower for lights. FAA would like a speedy repair.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:37 PM   #11540

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Are you anywhere near Raleigh NC? Got a 50 footer need dug. Broken electrical cable underground that feeds to a radio tower for lights. FAA would like a speedy repair.
Brevard, say, would be attractive (Davidson River Campground with nearby mountain bike trails like Black Mountain). Raleigh, not so much.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper