RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #14621
NH Maple Maker
 
russhd1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Loudon, New Hampshire
Posts: 395
I stored our patio furniture in the TT for the winter. I did the final cleaning and moved it to it's winter parking spot. It's sad that the camping season is over but I'm glad that I'm not camping on this cold and windy day.
__________________
Russ

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:58 PM   #14622
Senior Member
 
kennyairport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Monroe N.C.
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
How was your trip? Did you get any fishing in the mountains? Beautiful area and close to you. Have any problem winging it?
No fishing forgot poles. (Little guy was not with us.) We got a walk up site next morning site 39 was very private and roomy. Great park lots of trails. We took a drive down the Heintooga Round Bottom Road which is one way and gravel, you get it off the Blue Ridge Pkwy. cool drive.
__________________
See you down the road. ;

Ken and Denise new SOB Imagine 2850mk 2017 Ram 2500 ctd.
previous 2015 shamrock23s,2015 Ram Eco diesel
previous 1997 coleman highlander pup,1994 35rb Vectra,diesel,2007 Fleetwood arcadia pup.2005 ram
kennyairport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:59 PM   #14623
Jayhawker
 
Jayhawker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Suburbs Kansas City
Posts: 238
Insulated pass thru overhead with foil faced Rmax rigid foam insulation board.
Cleaned roof.
Washed and waxed trailer.
Installed Reflectix on interior wall of slide out where cushions were getting damp from condensation during some cold weather camping last week.
Installed wall mount and TV in bedroom.
Winterized.
Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:25 AM   #14624
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 559
Thanks to everyone that provided comments regarding propane tank recertification.
pbandrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #14625
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,944
Yesterday I tried adding gorilla tape to hold up my lube plate onto my king pin. The HVAC duct tape (the shiny silver stuff) didn't work out, it just kept tearing. I should just replace it, but you know... it's literally 5 months old and that seems pointless.

I lubed the king pin with white lithium grease.

I trimmed out the beds that we converted in the garage to make the appearance a little more sightly.

And hung some extra child lock pieces that we use to keep a couple of IKEA cabinet doors closed for travel - the extras are behind it so that you can tuck the lock out of the way when setup for camp.

Today I need to top of the air in my camper tires since it got cold and I really need to grease the wet bolts for the shackles. I'll also probably throw some pads onto the dining table legs to make sliding it around easier on the floor.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #14626
Senior Member
 
DouglasReid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 3,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Yesterday I tried adding gorilla tape to hold up my lube plate onto my king pin. The HVAC duct tape (the shiny silver stuff) didn't work out, it just kept tearing. I should just replace it, but you know... it's literally 5 months old and that seems pointless.
Try getting the pin closer to the height of the Fifth Wheel receiver before backing the two together. When the height is too disproportionate the force required to push them together pushes the lube plate back damaging the little plastic fingers holding it in place and it gets loose.

I have a lube plate that lasted for about 4 years by doing this method. Some of that WL grease on top of the receiver helps as well.
__________________
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL, Gladiator Qr35 ST235/85R16 Load rating G, TST 507 TPMS w/ Flow-thru Sensors & Repeater, Reese Sidewinder 16K Pin Box, PI EMS HW50C
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Turbo Brake activated, 39 gal Aux Tank W/ Fuel Pump transfer, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 air bags.
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:49 AM   #14627
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Try getting the pin closer to the height of the Fifth Wheel receiver before backing the two together. When the height is too disproportionate the force required to push them together pushes the lube plate back damaging the little plastic fingers holding it in place and it gets loose.

I have a lube plate that lasted for about 4 years by doing this method. Some of that WL grease on top of the receiver helps as well.
Appreciate that. My first lube plate on the old camper and the B&W Companion lasted for 5 or 6 years. This new lube plate on the new camper and with the Trailer Saver TS3 hitch barely lasted 4 months.

It popped off when we had unhitching issues once and I think that buggered the teeth up. I'm just too cheap to buy another so I keep taping it into place.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #14628
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 13,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Appreciate that. My first lube plate on the old camper and the B&W Companion lasted for 5 or 6 years. This new lube plate on the new camper and with the Trailer Saver TS3 hitch barely lasted 4 months.

It popped off when we had unhitching issues once and I think that buggered the teeth up. I'm just too cheap to buy another so I keep taping it into place.
An old Indian trick... (as my dad used to say)

Take a screwdriver or punch and gently 'stake' the plastic/teflon around the area of the plate where the pin comes through. It will 'swell' the plate and make the pin hole smaller to where it stays on the pin.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:57 PM   #14629
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7
Water pump won't turn. Has this happened to anyone else
sherylej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:27 PM   #14630
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Central New York
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Yesterday I tried adding gorilla tape to hold up my lube plate onto my king pin. The HVAC duct tape (the shiny silver stuff) didn't work out, it just kept tearing. I should just replace it, but you know... it's literally 5 months old and that seems pointless.

Ö
Use an o-ring to hold the lube plate.

This is not my idea. I found this on an Amazon feedback section a while back. Look for the update with 2 pictures in post by JEBar.

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-83004-F...ews/B00ET5UIEU
__________________
2017 Riverstone 38FB Legacy
2018 F450
LegacyFB38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #14631
Senior Member
 
A2pfunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 355
Today I did my absolute least favorite thing with my camper. I performed the task which makes me want to sell the camper which I otherwise absolutely love. I did the job which seems to take me more time and physical energy than any other job I ever have to do. The job that makes me sweat and usually involves some type of muscle sprain or head injury.

I made the bunk beds.

It's the absolute worst.

Our Catalina 273 TBS has three tight bunks stacked in the back corner. It works out great for storing my two kids at night, leaving one bunk open to store clothes and stuff. Occasionally, they bring a guest who sleeps in the bottom bunk, but we feel bad putting any one in what we call the "coffin bunk" because it is literally on the floor, has no window, and is quite small.

But today, while winterizing and cleaning there camper for the end of the season, I had to make the two kids' bunks. I'm not sure how this is supposed to be done, but I certainly haven't found a way that is easy or graceful. First of all, the opening for each bunk is so tiny and the height is so low for each bunk that I have to crawl in head first. Then I'm stuck in there. There is no way an adult can get in there and turn around. If I actually had to sleep in there, I don't know how I'd actually get into the bed without having my head stuckin the closed end of the bunk. And I certainly don't know how I would ever get out of the bunk if I had to get up in the middle of the night. Every time I climb back out I end up kicking and flailing and falling all over the camper.

I've actually gotten pretty good at making a twin size bed while laying headfirst in a cave on top of a twin-size bed. However every time I finish I'm usually sweaty and have banged my head more times than I have swear words to use. I make the beds a couple times per season, and I make them so tight that the kids usually can't get under the covers! This saves me having to do it again for a while.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE our camper. It's the perfect fit for our family. We spent 31 nights in 2 different countries on 8 different trips this summer. But making the beds... Makes me want to trade this in for something with no bunks... The kids can sleep in a tent.

But alas, the job is done. Beds are made up to my OCD standards. The camper has been thoroughly cleaned and winterized. I'm super bummed to put it into storage Saturday. Click image for larger version

Name:	20181022_231931.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	189830Click image for larger version

Name:	20181022_231816.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	189831
__________________
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273TBS pulled by a 2019 F150 Platinum.
A2pfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #14632
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
Today I did my absolute least favorite thing with my camper. I performed the task which makes me want to sell the camper which I otherwise absolutely love. I did the job which seems to take me more time and physical energy than any other job I ever have to do. The job that makes me sweat and usually involves some type of muscle sprain or head injury.

I made the bunk beds.

It's the absolute worst.

Our Catalina 273 TBS has three tight bunks stacked in the back corner. It works out great for storing my two kids at night, leaving one bunk open to store clothes and stuff. Occasionally, they bring a guest who sleeps in the bottom bunk, but we feel bad putting any one in what we call the "coffin bunk" because it is literally on the floor, has no window, and is quite small.

But today, while winterizing and cleaning there camper for the end of the season, I had to make the two kids' bunks. I'm not sure how this is supposed to be done, but I certainly haven't found a way that is easy or graceful. First of all, the opening for each bunk is so tiny and the height is so low for each bunk that I have to crawl in head first. Then I'm stuck in there. There is no way an adult can get in there and turn around. If I actually had to sleep in there, I don't know how I'd actually get into the bed without having my head stuckin the closed end of the bunk. And I certainly don't know how I would ever get out of the bunk if I had to get up in the middle of the night. Every time I climb back out I end up kicking and flailing and falling all over the camper.

I've actually gotten pretty good at making a twin size bed while laying headfirst in a cave on top of a twin-size bed. However every time I finish I'm usually sweaty and have banged my head more times than I have swear words to use. I make the beds a couple times per season, and I make them so tight that the kids usually can't get under the covers! This saves me having to do it again for a while.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE our camper. It's the perfect fit for our family. We spent 31 nights in 2 different countries on 8 different trips this summer. But making the beds... Makes me want to trade this in for something with no bunks... The kids can sleep in a tent.

But alas, the job is done. Beds are made up to my OCD standards. The camper has been thoroughly cleaned and winterized. I'm super bummed to put it into storage Saturday. Attachment 189830Attachment 189831


Wow that would be tough and as you describe. Not sure if this would work for you but we do this for our top bunks, we take mattresses out and lay them on the floor then make them with tucked corners the slide them back in place, while pushing them back in place it keeps linens tucked in. For yours you might need to fold mattress like a slice of Pizza. Also one of those long reach grabbers used for top shelf kitchen Items might come in handy. I call it the lazy stick
pbandrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:50 AM   #14633
Senior Member
 
Chief T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 806
I cleaned/waxed the front of the TT. I couldn't reach the top/center portion with the ladder I had, so I need to go back this weekend to finish the job with the big ladder.

The oxidation on the top portion is absolutely horrible. Even after waxing, it still looks like crap. The rest came back to a nice shiny luster, but not the top.

Safe and happy travels.
__________________
2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z71 6.2l aka "Luci"
2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE aka "Desi"
Past: 2017 Prime Time Tracer Air 206
Days camped 2018: 15
Days camped 2019: 17
Days camped 2020: 18
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #14634
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
It
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
Today I did my absolute least favorite thing with my camper. I performed the task which makes me want to sell the camper which I otherwise absolutely love. I did the job which seems to take me more time and physical energy than any other job I ever have to do. The job that makes me sweat and usually involves some type of muscle sprain or head injury.

I made the bunk beds.

It's the absolute worst.

Our Catalina 273 TBS has three tight bunks stacked in the back corner. It works out great for storing my two kids at night, leaving one bunk open to store clothes and stuff. Occasionally, they bring a guest who sleeps in the bottom bunk, but we feel bad putting any one in what we call the "coffin bunk" because it is literally on the floor, has no window, and is quite small.

But today, while winterizing and cleaning there camper for the end of the season, I had to make the two kids' bunks. I'm not sure how this is supposed to be done, but I certainly haven't found a way that is easy or graceful. First of all, the opening for each bunk is so tiny and the height is so low for each bunk that I have to crawl in head first. Then I'm stuck in there. There is no way an adult can get in there and turn around. If I actually had to sleep in there, I don't know how I'd actually get into the bed without having my head stuckin the closed end of the bunk. And I certainly don't know how I would ever get out of the bunk if I had to get up in the middle of the night. Every time I climb back out I end up kicking and flailing and falling all over the camper.

I've actually gotten pretty good at making a twin size bed while laying headfirst in a cave on top of a twin-size bed. However every time I finish I'm usually sweaty and have banged my head more times than I have swear words to use. I make the beds a couple times per season, and I make them so tight that the kids usually can't get under the covers! This saves me having to do it again for a while.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE our camper. It's the perfect fit for our family. We spent 31 nights in 2 different countries on 8 different trips this summer. But making the beds... Makes me want to trade this in for something with no bunks... The kids can sleep in a tent.

But alas, the job is done. Beds are made up to my OCD standards. The camper has been thoroughly cleaned and winterized. I'm super bummed to put it into storage Saturday. Attachment 189830Attachment 189831
There IS an easier way to do it. You simply say, "Kids, make your beds, or no supper!".
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #14635
Senior Member
 
GalsofEscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Catonsville Maryland
Posts: 1,663
Why even make the beds to only store the camper??? I would strip the beds, wash sheets and store them in the house. In fact I take all the linens and towels out for the winter. Then next spring, the kids can make their own beds. I am particular and the mess would drive me nuts, but have gotten very good at closing the curtain and ignoring what is behind it - just not worth it.
__________________
HTT: "EscapeII" 2016 Shamrock 23WS (current)
PUP: "Escape" 2010 Rockwood HW 277 (gone)
TV: "Bruce" 2011 Dodge Durango V8 Hemi Crew
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #14636
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
Today I did my absolute least favorite thing with my camper. I performed the task which makes me want to sell the camper which I otherwise absolutely love. I did the job which seems to take me more time and physical energy than any other job I ever have to do. The job that makes me sweat and usually involves some type of muscle sprain or head injury.

I made the bunk beds.

It's the absolute worst.

Our Catalina 273 TBS has three tight bunks stacked in the back corner. It works out great for storing my two kids at night, leaving one bunk open to store clothes and stuff. Occasionally, they bring a guest who sleeps in the bottom bunk, but we feel bad putting any one in what we call the "coffin bunk" because it is literally on the floor, has no window, and is quite small.

But today, while winterizing and cleaning there camper for the end of the season, I had to make the two kids' bunks. I'm not sure how this is supposed to be done, but I certainly haven't found a way that is easy or graceful. First of all, the opening for each bunk is so tiny and the height is so low for each bunk that I have to crawl in head first. Then I'm stuck in there. There is no way an adult can get in there and turn around. If I actually had to sleep in there, I don't know how I'd actually get into the bed without having my head stuckin the closed end of the bunk. And I certainly don't know how I would ever get out of the bunk if I had to get up in the middle of the night. Every time I climb back out I end up kicking and flailing and falling all over the camper.

I've actually gotten pretty good at making a twin size bed while laying headfirst in a cave on top of a twin-size bed. However every time I finish I'm usually sweaty and have banged my head more times than I have swear words to use. I make the beds a couple times per season, and I make them so tight that the kids usually can't get under the covers! This saves me having to do it again for a while.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE our camper. It's the perfect fit for our family. We spent 31 nights in 2 different countries on 8 different trips this summer. But making the beds... Makes me want to trade this in for something with no bunks... The kids can sleep in a tent.

But alas, the job is done. Beds are made up to my OCD standards. The camper has been thoroughly cleaned and winterized. I'm super bummed to put it into storage Saturday. Attachment 189830Attachment 189831
I just take the bunks mattresses out, make the beds, then put them back all in one shot. Then, if needed for tidying up the edges, I send the kids in to straighten them up.
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk... unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:38 PM   #14637
Senior Member
 
Rookiewood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 214
we do the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbandrb View Post
Wow that would be tough and as you describe. Not sure if this would work for you but we do this for our top bunks, we take mattresses out and lay them on the floor then make them with tucked corners the slide them back in place, while pushing them back in place it keeps linens tucked in. For yours you might need to fold mattress like a slice of Pizza. Also one of those long reach grabbers used for top shelf kitchen Items might come in handy. I call it the lazy stick
We do the same thing or use the same method on our 8311WS.
__________________
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ Z92
2018 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8311WS
Rookiewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:29 PM   #14638
Senior Member
 
A2pfunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Why even make the beds to only store the camper??? I would strip the beds, wash sheets and store them in the house. In fact I take all the linens and towels out for the winter. Then next spring, the kids can make their own beds. I am particular and the mess would drive me nuts, but have gotten very good at closing the curtain and ignoring what is behind it - just not worth it.
I take all the rest of the linens out, but I like to make the beds in Fall so I don't have to do it in spring. I like to have the beds clean and ready to go.

As for making the mattress outside of the bed, I've thought about that. The tiny opening makes it pretty hard to get even the stock cheesy 2 inch mattress out (I've done it a few times) and I don't think the sheets would still be on it when I was done putting it in. Plus, we've added a couple inches of memory foam now and that would make it very difficult.

And the kids do tidy up their beds on trips. Or they sleep on top of the covers
__________________
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273TBS pulled by a 2019 F150 Platinum.
A2pfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:40 PM   #14639
Senior Member
 
Mch5jdm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: US
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
I take all the rest of the linens out, but I like to make the beds in Fall so I don't have to do it in spring. I like to have the beds clean and ready to go.

As for making the mattress outside of the bed, I've thought about that. The tiny opening makes it pretty hard to get even the stock cheesy 2 inch mattress out (I've done it a few times) and I don't think the sheets would still be on it when I was done putting it in. Plus, we've added a couple inches of memory foam now and that would make it very difficult.

And the kids do tidy up their beds on trips. Or they sleep on top of the covers


Our fix is sleeping bags. Kids love them. Easy to get sand out of. And they are cute.
__________________
Letís go camping!
Mch5jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:16 PM   #14640
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
I made the bunk beds.

It's the absolute worst.

But alas, the job is done. Beds are made up to my OCD standards.
Pretend you're a millionaire and consider Beddy's bedding. They're amazing.

On edit, I see this idea doesn't work for you: I'd likely make them outside of the bunk, would make it, and then would slide it back into the bunks.

They're expensive, but we absolutely love them.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camper

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.