RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2018, 10:27 PM   #14821
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Installed gas struts for the under bed storage. The lid is around 24" so I used struts that were 20" extended and 12" compressed with 40# of force per strut. Used a piece of aluminum plate for reinforcement on the lid and a 2x4 under the lip of the bed frame.



Looks solid, my factory struts are not enough to keep the deck open. Where did you find your struts?
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:44 PM   #14822
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
Looks solid, my factory struts are not enough to keep the deck open. Where did you find your struts?
Amazon.

You can buy a variety of pressures. I found 40# to be perfect. We have the queen bed that came with the camper and a memory foam topper.

You should be able to figure out the pressure you have by whatever the model number of your present strut is.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:57 AM   #14823
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Amazon.

You can buy a variety of pressures. I found 40# to be perfect. We have the queen bed that came with the camper and a memory foam topper.

You should be able to figure out the pressure you have by whatever the model number of your present strut is.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Got it, thanks
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #14824
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Hills of Northwestern PA
Posts: 1,163
Just received 3 padded dish divider sets for all the TT glasswear.
Also three different microfiber towel sets, large towels ~60x30" and a washcloth/hand towel ~25x15". I will find the one I like best and get more. Why? Very quick drying for camping.
Actually I wrapped up the dish protectors and a red towel set For SWMBO and put them under the tree. Hey, WTH, I put my poop pump under there as well
Saw reference to the above items in camping articles and searched Amazon for them.
__________________
2019 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS flipped axle
2019 Ford F-150 S-Crew 5.5 bed V8 w/tow package, TBC, Tow Mirrors, 3.55, 7000# GVWR, 1990#CC
Husky Centerline TS WDH 400-600# spring bars
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #14825
Senior Member
 
Iwannacamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Installed gas struts for the under bed storage. The lid is around 24" so I used struts that were 20" extended and 12" compressed with 40# of force per strut. Used a piece of aluminum plate for reinforcement on the lid and a 2x4 under the lip of the bed frame.



Gotta love the Kreg...
__________________
2017 Puma 297RLSS
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel SMOKER!!
I love puns, irony and tasteless jokes...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:27 PM   #14826
D W
Senior Member
 
D W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 2,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Nice word for the igniter....never heard that one before.
The piezoelectric electric effect is nothing new. It was discovered by the Curie's in the 1880's.
__________________
'07 K3500 Silverado LT Crew Duramax (LBZ)
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #14827
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Gotta love the Kreg...
Yes. Use it all the time!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #14828
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Replaced all the Chinese bearings, races and seals on my little over one year old Dexter tandem axles with USA made Timken(yes they said USA on them).

There was one wheel that had a lot less grease than I was expecting.

I have done this kind of work before many times on the numerous trailers I have owned so didn't take long. I timed my self on the last wheel to jacking up the tire to the final letting it back down and I was in under 35 minutes. This included completely cleaning out the hub of the original grease as I was switching to Mobil 1. I believe the grease was the same base as what comes with the Dexter but didn't want to take a chance.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #14829
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 12,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Replaced all the Chinese bearings, races and seals on my little over one year old Dexter tandem axles with USA made Timken(yes they said USA on them).

There was one wheel that had a lot less grease than I was expecting.

I have done this kind of work before many times on the numerous trailers I have owned so didn't take long. I timed my self on the last wheel to jacking up the tire to the final letting it back down and I was in under 35 minutes. This included completely cleaning out the hub of the original grease as I was switching to Mobil 1. I believe the grease was the same base as what comes with the Dexter but didn't want to take a chance.
Good job.

What was your source for the USA Timkens?
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #14830
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Good job.

What was your source for the USA Timkens?
Amazon
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:10 PM   #14831
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Added the MORryde CRE-3000 system and changed out all bolts to MORryde wet bolts.

babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:34 PM   #14832
Senior Member
 
Fifth Wheelers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 137
Cleaned my air conditioners and find a constant leak. Pressure testing time.
__________________
2016 Champagne EL38
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DWD
Fifth Wheelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:42 PM   #14833
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Hills of Northwestern PA
Posts: 1,163
Still prepping for spring, light coat of snow on everything now.
Ordered in screens for the water heater, people heater and refrigerator vents. Lots available, took a while searching to find the best deals on Amazon.
Also ordered a set of three pairs of replacement 1/2" fittings to cut down potable water hoses to desired lengths.
__________________
2019 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS flipped axle
2019 Ford F-150 S-Crew 5.5 bed V8 w/tow package, TBC, Tow Mirrors, 3.55, 7000# GVWR, 1990#CC
Husky Centerline TS WDH 400-600# spring bars
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:13 PM   #14834
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Rice, WA - Sold the S&B!
Posts: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Installed gas struts for the under bed storage. The lid is around 24" so I used struts that were 20" extended and 12" compressed with 40# of force per strut. Used a piece of aluminum plate for reinforcement on the lid and a 2x4 under the lip of the bed frame.





Looks great! Putting the mod on my to do list.
__________________
As a teacher my signature was, ďIf you think education is expensive, try ignorance.Ē

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:33 PM   #14835
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,839
Finished wiring my water transfer pump so I dont have to pour water in my tank when boondocking.

Assembled all the parts of my generator rain cover. A simple 3'x3' square of heavy duty tarp and some cut down poles from an old picnic table cover tarp set. Covers generator while running on rear bumper carrier. One of the few times my habit of never throwing things away has paid off.

10 days until I head South for the month of January. All boondocking while going, staying, and returning.

Bonus, price of gas is dropping too
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:22 AM   #14836
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 4
Just bought new last week but Iíve swapped out a few things. Inside speakers were junk so I put some better 5 1/4Ē speakers in, will upgrade to JBL 6.5Ē when I swap out the deck and have the time to cut bigger holes. Also plan to upgrade the outside speakers.

This thread is great. Lots of good ideas.
jeradhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:41 PM   #14837
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,932
Finally got around to wiring up my other 3 batteries and wired up the Victron battery monitor. Iím still using the stock converter/charger that is 25í from the batteries but Iíll get that changed eventually. Iíll wire up the inverter at the same time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8537.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	193827

I had to keep myself humble. Stood up and proclaimed to my wife that I was done... only to turn around and see the negative wire for the generator hanging there!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8538.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	193828
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:47 PM   #14838
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Finally got around to wiring up my other 3 batteries and wired up the Victron battery monitor. Iím still using the stock converter/charger that is 25í from the batteries but Iíll get that changed eventually. Iíll wire up the inverter at the same time.

Attachment 193827

I had to keep myself humble. Stood up and proclaimed to my wife that I was done... only to turn around and see the negative wire for the generator hanging there!

Attachment 193828
I am going to require a little tutoring later this year on that install. Unless of course, you are going to be in Texas anytime soon. Looks great
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:55 PM   #14839
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpierce View Post
I am going to require a little tutoring later this year on that install. Unless of course, you are going to be in Texas anytime soon. Looks great

Well, we have no idea where we are going this year except the goal is to spend as little as possible!

This is my diagram from when I first planned this all out on the last camper:

Click image for larger version

Name:	37028550501_ba75212c75_o.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	193829

I used scrap angle aluminum for the framing to hold the batteries in place. Being lithium, I donít have to worry about venting them. I took out the single battery box and put a piece of steel (painted black) into its place and sat the set of batteries in it.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:06 PM   #14840
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Well, we have no idea where we are going this year except the goal is to spend as little as possible!

This is my diagram from when I first planned this all out on the last camper:

Attachment 193829

I used scrap angle aluminum for the framing to hold the batteries in place. Being lithium, I don’t have to worry about venting them. I took out the single battery box and put a piece of steel (painted black) into its place and sat the set of batteries in it.
You don't want a circuit breaker inline with an inverter...too much voltage drop across them. You always want to use a fuse instead.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camper

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.