RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #15081
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
When I rewired my 12v system and installed an inverter I just bought 25' lengths of #4 welding cable, enough crimp on lugs, and an IWISS crimping tool from Amazon (around $30). Every cable was exactly the right length and a whole lot cheaper than if I'd bought them from an auto parts store or battery store

One suggestion for your "bowl of spaghetti", label both ends of each wire with it's source/destination. Maybe even pair with zip ties where appropriate.

If it works then "fugly" is secondary.
For some reason, I'm really nervous about making my own cables. But I also went crazy overboard on sizing (2/0 and 4/0 in the battery bay).

The only good part to the bowl of spaghetti is it's all in one area.

I think getting some busbars will help clean it up.. if nothing else, it'll help with some of the piles of connections I have different places.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #15082
Senior Member
 
Iwannacamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I didn't think the laundry drained into the black tank.

It might be good to fill the black tank at least 1/3 full and drop let it slosh around as you drive to a site. That may help.

In the future fill the tank 1/4 full when you dump it so it has water to keep that from happening again. You can put some Rid-Ex in it too when it sits to let that bacteria go to work on it.
Not recommending this...but one might consider Thrift drain cleaner. Sposta be safe for all materials and septic systems. Might be worth looking into. YMMV
__________________
2017 Puma 297RLSS
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel SMOKER!!
I love puns, irony and tasteless jokes...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #15083
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I think getting some busbars will help clean it up.. if nothing else, it'll help with some of the piles of connections I have different places.
Yep...busbars are good. Piles of connections are bad. I saw a professional installer put around 8 connections on a shunt once. He didn't understand why that was a bad idea. For example, Marine ABYC standards limit the number of ring terminals to 4 on one terminal post.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #15084
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Yep...busbars are good. Piles of connections are bad. I saw a professional installer put around 8 connections on a shunt once. He didn't understand why that was a bad idea. For example, Marine ABYC standards limit the number of ring terminals to 4 on one terminal post.
8?! Wow!

I'm unhappy that I've hit 3 or 4 for a couple of connections. It's just such a hassle to get it all screwed together. I had one ground connection that I was cursing by the time I got it all back together!
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #15085
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
8?! Wow!

I'm unhappy that I've hit 3 or 4 for a couple of connections. It's just such a hassle to get it all screwed together. I had one ground connection that I was cursing by the time I got it all back together!
yeah...it was Brian Boone who thinks he's the best installer in the world and tries to dominate all the Facebook solar pages.


Get a good crimper, cable cutter and quality lugs and make your own cables. I have bought some lugs on Amazon but they are pretty thin for my liking. I like the ones from genuinedeaz.com the best.


Whatever you do, don't use a hammer crimper and don't use solder. Total rookie move.



Here is a picture of my busbars in my solar install. This is in my pass through. It folds up so you don't see it all.




babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #15086
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
yeah...it was Brian Boone who thinks he's the best installer in the world and tries to dominate all the Facebook solar pages.


Get a good crimper, cable cutter and quality lugs and make your own cables. I have bought some lugs on Amazon but they are pretty thin for my liking. I like the ones from genuinedeaz.com the best.


Whatever you do, don't use a hammer crimper and don't use solder. Total rookie move.



Here is a picture of my busbars in my solar install. This is in my pass through. It folds up so you don't see it all.




Heh, yeah.. Brian Boone is quite the character. I know he's quick to argue and then boot people from his group so he stays right.

I will say, I'm loving your 2 layers of panels that you have things mounted to. I've got a variety of things that I need to install in my battery hatch and was worried I wouldn't have enough wall space for everything that I want to hang.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #15087
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I will say, I'm loving your 2 layers of panels that you have things mounted to. I've got a variety of things that I need to install in my battery hatch and was worried I wouldn't have enough wall space for everything that I want to hang.
I used to have a panel there that all it did was shield the backside of the wall ac outlet. I mounted a piece of birch plywood to just cover that with aluminum angle. Used the same type of plywood to create the fold down piece.


Overall, there was no loss in room since the panel that was originally in there as a shield stuck out further than what I have now.


I also added some 5V fans, after these pictures were taken, that run directly off the solar panels through a buck converter. This keeps air moving since this is such a tight area. When my solar is cranking, there is some heat build up with out them.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #15088
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
This is where the batteries are on the other side of the wall under the bed. VERY close to all the charging components and the inverter.


babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #15089
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Heh, yeah.. Brian Boone is quite the character. I know he's quick to argue and then boot people from his group so he stays right.

I will say, I'm loving your 2 layers of panels that you have things mounted to. I've got a variety of things that I need to install in my battery hatch and was worried I wouldn't have enough wall space for everything that I want to hang.
Have you seen the setup the Ray from has? He has a lot of things mounted on the back wall of the front compartment of his Cougar 5th wheel. I have to admit that I don't know much about solar so it doesn't take much to impress me on that subject. His setup may or may not be great.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox and B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #15090
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Have you seen the setup the Ray from has? He has a lot of things mounted on the back wall of the front compartment of his Cougar 5th wheel. I have to admit that I don't know much about solar so it doesn't take much to impress me on that subject. His setup may or may not be great.
He does a few things that aren't very safe there including no battery switch right after the fuse/batteries and no small breaker after the converter, otherwise pretty good.



It's good he puts the 200A catastrophic fuse right after the batteries. Only problem is that there are unfused wires after that that will fail way before that 200A fuse blows. Would be good to put a breaker leaving his bus bar going to his switch and then going to his house loads right after the bus bar. Even in my install, I violate that somewhat but it's a very short length before it hits the breaker.



It's good he actually ties down his batteries. I see so many installs where the batteries are just sitting there with nothing holding them down. I have seen installs with 10 or more battleborn batteries with not a single tie down.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #15091
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
This is where the batteries are on the other side of the wall under the bed. VERY close to all the charging components and the inverter.



Is this area vented to the outside??
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #15092
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Is this area vented to the outside??
These lithium batteries don't require venting.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:52 PM   #15093
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,278
Lithium batteries don't off gas and contain no liquid. They can be installed inside without ventilation and in any orientation you want.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox and B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:58 PM   #15094
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
I'm looking forward to the pics.
You've got me thinking...
Me too, DW was just asking what we could do to make ours more comfortable.
__________________
"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've seen plenty of them." Casey Stengel

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:04 PM   #15095
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
These lithium batteries don't require venting.

Didn't see the label clearly enough.
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:48 PM   #15096
Senior Member
 
DouglasReid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 3,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Sadly, it does drain to the black tank. I checked with the manufacturer (Spartan/Prime Time) and they confirmed it should be a gray tank.
That situation is unsanitary at worst and actually the potential to be Life Threatening at worst.

I would inform the manufacturer you want it corrected IMMEDIATELY!

That situation cannot be allowed to remain. You have the potential for fecal matter to backup into your washing machine and all the clothing you wash.

NOT GOOD!!
__________________
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL, Gladiator Qr35 ST235/85R16 Load rating G, TST 507 TPMS w/ Flow-thru Sensors & Repeater, Reese Sidewinder 16K Pin Box, PI EMS HW50C
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Turbo Brake activated, 39 gal Aux Tank W/ Fuel Pump transfer, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 air bags.
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:05 PM   #15097
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
That situation is unsanitary at worst and actually the potential to be Life Threatening at worst.

I would inform the manufacturer you want it corrected IMMEDIATELY!

That situation cannot be allowed to remain. You have the potential for fecal matter to backup into your washing machine and all the clothing you wash.

NOT GOOD!!
I believe, as many on this board will confirm, that Ependydad is well versed on the dangers, and is all over the problem.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:07 PM   #15098
Senior Member
 
DouglasReid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 3,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpierce View Post
I believe, as many on this board will confirm, that Ependydad is well versed on the dangers, and is all over the problem.
I would hope so, but I was totally ignorant of that fact. I thought that, in the event he was not, Id try and impress on him the danger.

Would you rather I kept my mouth shut and potentially let someone who may be blissfully ignorant suffer the horrible consequences?

I think not! so your third party, condescending reply was really not necessary, was it?
__________________
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL, Gladiator Qr35 ST235/85R16 Load rating G, TST 507 TPMS w/ Flow-thru Sensors & Repeater, Reese Sidewinder 16K Pin Box, PI EMS HW50C
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Turbo Brake activated, 39 gal Aux Tank W/ Fuel Pump transfer, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 air bags.
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:19 PM   #15099
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I would hope so, but I was totally ignorant of that fact. I thought that, in the event he was not, Id try and impress on him the danger.

Would you rather I kept my mouth shut and potentially let someone who may be blissfully ignorant suffer the horrible consequences?

I think not! so your third party, condescending reply was really not necessary, was it?
I apologize. You are correct. Good advice for those that are not up to speed.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:33 PM   #15100
Senior Member
 
W5CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Carlisle, Arkansas
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougschne View Post
Thanks. This is the final chassis upgrade. We did the better tires, disc brakes, and MoRyde rubber pin box, which made a huge difference. Now the suspension should give us a nice ride and add longevity and safety.
Go ahead and get the MORryde IS suspension, you won't be sorry. it is by far the best suspension you can't under your rig.
__________________
2005 Cedar Creek 30RLBS/TrailAir Hitch/ MORryde 7K IS/Disc Brakes/ PI PT-50 EMS/ RV Flex Armor Roof
2015 RAM 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins 3.42/ Garmin 760RV
40 Gal TransferFlow fuel tank/ TST 507
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camper

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 PM.