RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2020, 02:26 PM   #17061
Senior Member
 
SecretSquirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
My drive humped down to the highway, highway is nicely crowned for drainage (5 lanes), and a heckava dip where drive & road meet. When they added the fifth/turn lane to our high school, taking some of our frontage, that dug the "ditch" meeting area deeper I had much of my driveway hump graded out but it wasn't enough. The black pipe dragging was a constant worry. I replaced the pull handle once already and pull out at as much an angle as I can when leaving. I don't put my WDH bars on until out the road to better allow the TT to tilt up also. I could not use my factory TT rear rack with the spare tire mount welded on it. Using the rack, the spare remains bolted below it. I don't think removing the spare would allow the spare mount and rack not to drag. I seriously considered cutting off the spare mount and finding another place for it.
Now I have to reconfigure my WDH, flipping it to raise it the 4" gained. I need to do the same with one of my basic hitches I keep as a backup & for moving the TT in the yard. Bonus, more Boondocking possibilities.
Just a word of caution, be mindful of the tail gate with your flipped hitch installed. More than one person has dropped the tail gate like normal and put a big hole or dent in it. Yours may not hit, just a FYI.
__________________
_________________________
Crusader 337QBH
2019 F350 6.7L DRW CC LB 4x4 Lariat
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #17062
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 775
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
My drive humped down to the highway, highway is nicely crowned for drainage (5 lanes), and a heckava dip where drive & road meet. When they added the fifth/turn lane to our high school, taking some of our frontage, that dug the "ditch" meeting area deeper I had much of my driveway hump graded out but it wasn't enough. The black pipe dragging was a constant worry. I replaced the pull handle once already and pull out at as much an angle as I can when leaving. I don't put my WDH bars on until out the road to better allow the TT to tilt up also. I could not use my factory TT rear rack with the spare tire mount welded on it. Using the rack, the spare remains bolted below it. I don't think removing the spare would allow the spare mount and rack not to drag. I seriously considered cutting off the spare mount and finding another place for it.
Now I have to reconfigure my WDH, flipping it to raise it the 4" gained. I need to do the same with one of my basic hitches I keep as a backup & for moving the TT in the yard. Bonus, more Boondocking possibilities.
Boondocking would have been my guess, but I didnít see you mention it before. Makes sense with the hump/dip!
Say, if you take rracer5ís advice on the fender skirts, donít forget the curb feelers!
__________________
2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 F 150 Supercrew 6.5 bed 3.5 EB Max Tow
Jfkmk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:43 PM   #17063
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubajt View Post
Took out the table and chairs and installed booths and table Attachment 226311



Attachment 226312


That really looks nice. Very creative.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:56 PM   #17064
Junior Member
 
Scubajt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
That really looks nice. Very creative.
Thank You,the wife really likes it.it made her happy.

John
Scubajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:05 PM   #17065
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Hills of Northwestern PA
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Just a word of caution, be mindful of the tail gate with your flipped hitch installed. More than one person has dropped the tail gate like normal and put a big hole or dent in it. Yours may not hit, just a FYI.
The tailgate previously contacted the tongue jack. I open it real gentle when hooked up, added a tailgate damper already.
__________________
2019 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS flipped axle
2019 Ford F-150 S-Crew 5.5 bed V8 w/tow package, TBC, Tow Mirrors, 3.55, 7000# GVWR, 1990#CC
Husky Centerline TS WDH 400-600# spring bars
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:25 PM   #17066
Senior Member
 
dbledan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: KS
Posts: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
The tailgate previously contacted the tongue jack. I open it real gentle when hooked up, added a tailgate damper already.
I hit the key fob in my pocket getting in once with the trailer attached. Dented the tailgate. After that I turned off the tailgate release button on the key fob through forscan.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:07 AM   #17067
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Hills of Northwestern PA
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I hit the key fob in my pocket getting in once with the trailer attached. Dented the tailgate. After that I turned off the tailgate release button on the key fob through forscan.
My SIL's Dad has that feature on his F150 (XLT or Lariat). It catches on his Tonneau cover anyways
My XL based STX doesn't have that feature. Thinking about making a pad for the top of the jack that the nylon cover could hold in place.
__________________
2019 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS flipped axle
2019 Ford F-150 S-Crew 5.5 bed V8 w/tow package, TBC, Tow Mirrors, 3.55, 7000# GVWR, 1990#CC
Husky Centerline TS WDH 400-600# spring bars
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:20 AM   #17068
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 775
I've read where some have rotated their tongue jack to prevent the tailgate from hitting.
Jfkmk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #17069
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Hills of Northwestern PA
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
It surely did raise it.
Remember your increased height and the center of gravity is now different.
Yes. I'm a pretty focused towing driver with my TT anyways. Not in a rally race to get it anywhere, only go fast on the interstate straightaways. TT with designated "off-road" packages appear similar. I expect RV makers generally try to keep smaller, more expected to be first time owners', TT closest to the ground to lessen that consideration. Now my problem is getting the tools to fit those huge bolts on the WDH to adjust it. I think my SIL or his Dad may have them since they have a farm tractor. Since the WDH was about perfect before, I'm just going to start with flipping the drawbar and raising the ball height by 4". Then check the before & after wheel well heights and TT level over at the high school parking lot on a weekend, best level surface I can find close by.
__________________
2019 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS flipped axle
2019 Ford F-150 S-Crew 5.5 bed V8 w/tow package, TBC, Tow Mirrors, 3.55, 7000# GVWR, 1990#CC
Husky Centerline TS WDH 400-600# spring bars
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #17070
Senior Member
 
RandK-M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
I've read where some have rotated their tongue jack to prevent the tailgate from hitting.
My Ram tailgate which has a curvy shape at the top would hit the plastic cover on the power tongue jack at certain angles. I ended up turning my jack to the side and don't have to worry about it anymore.

On a side note, I did significant damage to my tailgate a couple years ago. I didn't realize the tailgate was down one time when backing the camper into it's parking spot at home. It requires a sharp turn and the top of the tailgate on the right side got squished down a couple inches from hitting what I think was the propane tank. Not my finest back-in moment.

Ray
__________________
2017 Rockwood 2109S
Ram 1500
Me Her And a furry little dog
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #17071
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
My Ram tailgate which has a curvy shape at the top would hit the plastic cover on the power tongue jack at certain angles. I ended up turning my jack to the side and don't have to worry about it anymore.

On a side note, I did significant damage to my tailgate a couple years ago. I didn't realize the tailgate was down one time when backing the camper into it's parking spot at home. It requires a sharp turn and the top of the tailgate on the right side got squished down a couple inches from hitting what I think was the propane tank. Not my finest back-in moment.

Ray
Ouch! We've all had these moments, some worse than others. At least it was only a tailgate (and maybe your pride) that got hurt!
Jfkmk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:07 AM   #17072
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Plainfield, IN
Posts: 58
1. Replacing the CO & LP detector. 2. Moving a furnace run away from the converter fans which are somewhat blocked by it. 3. Replacing a solid door with a furnace grill for better airflow from converter enclosure to basement. BTW I have a 2013 5th wheel. I want to ask about covering the bath skylight with rubberized white paint...how have folks prepped the skylight? I thought denatured alcohol but afraid it might melt the plastic.
davidgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:54 PM   #17073
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Hills of Northwestern PA
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
I've read where some have rotated their tongue jack to prevent the tailgate from hitting.
Unfortunately, it doesn't help in my case. It hit the thinner post manual jack before I replaced it with an electric. Small trailer, shorter A frame. I investigated get a Jack-E-Up jack removable base but at around $100 with shipping, I'm holding back ;( If I ever get the chance to do a lot of trailering, then it would be worth it.
Had to snow last night, put everything on hold ;(
__________________
2019 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS flipped axle
2019 Ford F-150 S-Crew 5.5 bed V8 w/tow package, TBC, Tow Mirrors, 3.55, 7000# GVWR, 1990#CC
Husky Centerline TS WDH 400-600# spring bars
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:10 PM   #17074
Senior Member
 
Tapex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Farmer
Posts: 2,808
Changed out battery Cutoff Switch
Out with the Old
In with the New and when its free from a friend, that even better too! The old one broke after 3yrs.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200410_190310.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	226647Click image for larger version

Name:	20200410_185720.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	226648
__________________
2016 Coachmen Apex 250RLS Ultra Light
'19 Ram Big Horn Sport Longhorn
Tapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:24 AM   #17075
2014 XLR 27HFS
 
dave961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 414
Resurfaced the roof this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04 Before 3.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	393.6 KB
ID:	226728   Click image for larger version

Name:	05 Before 4.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	226729   Click image for larger version

Name:	07 Taped Off.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	500.5 KB
ID:	226730   Click image for larger version

Name:	08 During.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	226731   Click image for larger version

Name:	09 After.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	226732  

Click image for larger version

Name:	10 After.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	226733   Click image for larger version

Name:	12 After.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	226734   Click image for larger version

Name:	01 Dicor.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	382.7 KB
ID:	226735  
__________________
Dave & Audrey
dave961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #17076
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Nevada
Posts: 440
I set up the solar panel and slept in it.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:28 AM   #17077
2014 XLR 27HFS
 
dave961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 414
A few welding jobs (not by me) from a couple months ago. Leaf spring hanger stiffeners and fresh water tank support (factory support bent).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaf Spring Support 1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	226736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Before - Brace to frame.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	226737   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Side.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	226738   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Under.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	226739  
__________________
Dave & Audrey
dave961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:33 AM   #17078
2014 XLR 27HFS
 
dave961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 414
Had to crawl under camper to get to the low point drain plugs and the fresh water drain, so put 90's on them, took them out to the side, and put valves on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh Tank 1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	226740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh Tank 2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	226741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Low Point 1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	226742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Low Point 2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	226743  
__________________
Dave & Audrey
dave961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:38 AM   #17079
2014 XLR 27HFS
 
dave961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 414
It was a pain to dig the power cord and fresh water hose out of the storage bin with everything else I had to put in there, so I mounted some aluminum channels that a board could slide on and put some hooks on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04 - Rails.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	226746   Click image for larger version

Name:	06 - Rail End.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	226747   Click image for larger version

Name:	08 - Open 2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	526.0 KB
ID:	226748   Click image for larger version

Name:	09 - Closed.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	226749  
__________________
Dave & Audrey
dave961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:35 PM   #17080
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Hills of Northwestern PA
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave961 View Post
It was a pain to dig the power cord and fresh water hose out of the storage bin with everything else I had to put in there, so I mounted some aluminum channels that a board could slide on and put some hooks on it.
Excellent idea and use of the space. I recommend cutting out a hand slot at the end of the board for a handle.
All I got accomplished was wood putty in the ripped holes from removing the upper bunk. Prepping for the wallpaper border I'll cover that up with. I want it smooth.
Also reached out to my SIL and turns out he has the oversized sockets and wrenches I need to flip my WDH for the 4" height gain from the axle flip.
__________________
2019 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS flipped axle
2019 Ford F-150 S-Crew 5.5 bed V8 w/tow package, TBC, Tow Mirrors, 3.55, 7000# GVWR, 1990#CC
Husky Centerline TS WDH 400-600# spring bars
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camper

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.