RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-05-2020, 08:23 PM   #17421
Benchdog

Removed the hanger rod and installed shelves.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200728_152009.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	235856

2019 Grey Wolf
20RDSE
2019 Tundra

"Enjoying Family and Life"
benchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #17422

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
What I usually do to compress a brake piston is to open the bleeder valve and force it back in. That way no air gets into the line and you can just re-add whatever brake fluid is lost.
And using a small hose to feed that fluid into a coke bottle will keep from making a mess as it squirts out.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:14 AM   #17423

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
I had considered that when I was first having issues compressing it before finding out about maintenance mode. The thing that kept me from doing that was that I didn't have any extra brake fluid on me at the campsite, and if I did get a bubble in the line, sometimes I burn through a lot of fluid trying to get it out.
The tool described in this thread will bleed the lines completely as you flush the system. Perfect for this. One person can completely flush a brake system in about 30 minutes. This thread completely describes how and what tool is needed,

Most people do not realize that flushing the brake fluid at least every two years is VERY good for the entire system.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs water from the air. This water decreases the boiling point of the fluid, decreasing its effectiveness.

The water also allows algae to grow in the fluid (I bet yours is green, not clear as when it was new) this is why.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/threads...m-flush.40082/
Old 08-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #17424

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
The tool described in this thread will bleed the lines completely as you flush the system. Perfect for this. One person can completely flush a brake system in about 30 minutes. This thread completely describes how and what tool is needed,

Most people do not realize that flushing the brake fluid at least every two years is VERY good for the entire system.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs water from the air. This water decreases the boiling point of the fluid, decreasing its effectiveness.

The water also allows algae to grow in the fluid (I bet yours is green, not clear as when it was new) this is why.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/threads...m-flush.40082/
Thank you for the link. I have a very similar brake bleeding tool that I just don't care for. Maybe it's my technique. Maybe it's a poor imitation of the one you linked. I prefer to do the two-person technique of having someone press in the brake pedal while I bleed (with a tube connected into a coke bottle), close it, let the brake off, repeat. It's always worked well for me. But, I'll read through that thread you linked to see if maybe it's operator error why I'm getting less than stellar results from my brake bleeding kit. The only reason I bought one to begin with was so I could do it myself, which is a major benefit of using the kit.

To be quite honest though, this truck is two years old and is a 36 month lease. Unless I notice a degradation in braking, I won't be bleeding these brakes before turning it in. I'll be upgrading to a diesel F350 and buying rather than leasing on my next one next year. This was the first, and last, vehicle I I will lease. I hate having to watch mileage, and I hate always having a vehicle payment.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #17425

I repacked the wheel bearings yesterday. I did it the old fashion way. Adjusted the brakes while I was in there.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #17426

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchdog View Post
Removed the hanger rod and installed shelves.Attachment 235856
Nice job. What fasteners did you use for the supports especially the side adjacent to the bed?
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:33 PM   #17427
Benchdog

I used 1x1.5 I ripped from a 2x4 then I made a jig 10 inches tall to set them on to keep them square. The one's on the bed side I screwed in from out with black screws so not to notice them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebourn View Post
Nice job. What fasteners did you use for the supports especially the side adjacent to the bed?

2019 Grey Wolf
20RDSE
2019 Tundra

"Enjoying Family and Life"
benchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #17428

Some updates........

After extending my hitch, my chains were too short. So, I extended them....

Reinforced one of the bench seat backs that pulled away from the wall.

Fixed the pooper support that broke off. Just re-drilled a new hole a little further up the strap.

Hard to see, but I added "stops", using VHB and a little piece of metal strapping (the kind used to strap stuff to a pallet). Now I can have the emergency exit window open, but not *all* the way. Added 2 stops at about 1/4 and 2/3 open.

Re-attached / reinforced the *other* bench seat.

Added a catch-all, otherwise known as a hanging file holder..

Replaced the latch my daugher broke (she's 2-1/2):

Made a new heat deflector to extend the life of my grill just a little. Will need to burn off the paint. It's leftover drip edge that's had some vice-work done to it. I use the grill. It can cook a brat in about 8 seconds... haha.

I just realized, all but one of these are *repairs*. Aaaah well, such is the life of a camper owner.
aeblank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:38 AM   #17429

Forum will only let me post 10 pictures, so here is the 11th.........

Got into some Mayflies in the UP. It was like a blizzard (it was at 9pm).
Old 08-11-2020, 01:46 PM   #17430

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Forum will only let me post 10 pictures, so here is the 11th.........

Got into some Mayflies in the UP. It was like a blizzard (it was at 9pm).
Yuck. Could you tell if enough of them got through the grille and onto the radiator core to reduce cooling?
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:52 PM   #17431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarkx View Post
Yuck. Could you tell if enough of them got through the grille and onto the radiator core to reduce cooling?
It seemed like it would have, as there were lots. We drove around the next day empty (in very hard rain for parts of it), and it was fine. Then it was fine on Sunday going home a couple hundred miles. I pressure washed the cooling stack, and they came off great. They're still "in" my paint though. Not sure what to do about it....

Used a can of turtle wax big & tar remover on camper. Won't touch them on the truck...
Old 08-11-2020, 02:51 PM   #17432

Quote:
It seemed like it would have, as there were lots. We drove around the next day empty (in very hard rain for parts of it), and it was fine. Then it was fine on Sunday going home a couple hundred miles. I pressure washed the cooling stack, and they came off great. They're still "in" my paint though. Not sure what to do about it....

Used a can of turtle wax big & tar remover on camper. Won't touch them on the truck...
I've gotten baked-on bugs off the paint by dabbing liquid wax individually on each bug, let it sit for 10-20 minutes (no longer than necessary), then scrape off with a finger nail. Or with a bamboo paint stick sharpened into a chisel (used gently so it doesn't scratch).

Don't dab liquid wax on and forget about it. I did that on some bird poop or similar that would not come easily off of his hood. The wax discolored the paint significantly by the time it had dried fully (hours in the sun).
Old 08-11-2020, 03:07 PM   #17433

Quote:
I've gotten baked-on bugs off the paint by dabbing liquid wax individually on each bug, let it sit for 10-20 minutes (no longer than necessary), then scrape off with a finger nail. Or with a bamboo paint stick sharpened into a chisel (used gently so it doesn't scratch).

Don't dab liquid wax on and forget about it. I did that on some bird poop or similar that would not come easily off of his hood. The wax discolored the paint significantly by the time it had dried fully (hours in the sun).
You mean like hot candle wax?

What about my (plastic) headlights?

I have a huge area to do by scraping fingernails.... Oo, I have an adhesive eraser that goes in my drill.... I wonder about that.
Also heard of clay bar, but don't really even know what that is. Haven't even googled it.

Thanks for the advice. I need to get after it, but life is rather busy these days.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:11 PM   #17434

I’ve used wet dryer sheets to remove bugs and it worked great. Yours, though, would be a challenge for any method!
Old 08-11-2020, 03:33 PM   #17435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
I’ve used wet dryer sheets to remove bugs and it worked great. Yours, though, would be a challenge for any method!
These methods are comical but my butt will be out there trying. Hopefully I'm not getting punked. Haha.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:39 PM   #17436

Quote:
Hopefully I'm not getting punked. Haha.
Not a chance. Google it!
Old 08-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #17437

Dropped my camper off this morning to get the roof replaced, apparently I must have scraped a tree limb somewhere. When I unhooked this morning, I found this for one of my equalizer pins. I have a spare set I carry in case they "walk" while we are camping; however, the odds are highly probable that I will misplace something instead.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200811_100157.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	236401
howellma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:04 PM   #17438

Quote:
You mean like hot candle wax?

What about my (plastic) headlights?

I have a huge area to do by scraping fingernails.... Oo, I have an adhesive eraser that goes in my drill.... I wonder about that.
Also heard of clay bar, but don't really even know what that is. Haven't even googled it.

Thanks for the advice. I need to get after it, but life is rather busy these days.
Oops. No, I meant to say liquid car wax. Synthetic or carnuba or similar. It has a cleaning agent of some kind that will soak into the bug. Some also has a bit of fine abrasive, but what we want is the chemical cleaner and it being thick enough to not run when dabbed onto a bug.

Maybe the adhesive eraser. Seems plausible. Be careful it does not stay in one spot too long and cause heat or wear. Maybe this after a bit of soaking with liquid car wax.

If the bug remover is thick enough to stay in place when dabbed on thickly, it might work as well.

I would think plastic headlights are about as susceptible to damage as paint. Use caution.

A clay bar is for ulta fine last stage cleaning/polishing of large areas of paint. It pulls up very fine particles embedded in the paint, but wouldn't last long going over bugs. It's more like a polishing compound than a cleaner.

I've never found a method that didn't have me sitting on a stool in front of the truck for an hour (or two).

Auto detailers probably have their tricks. They will come to you. $$$$.

Back to the bamboo paint stirrer. Or a softer wood paint stirrer. If you have a grinder or belt sander, you can shape the end into a chisel-point scraper at least as effective as a finger-nail. Still a tedious job.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:31 PM   #17439

Quote:
Oops. No, I meant to say liquid car wax. Synthetic or carnuba or similar. It has a cleaning agent of some kind that will soak into the bug. Some also has a bit of fine abrasive, but what we want is the chemical cleaner and it being thick enough to not run when dabbed onto a bug.

Maybe the adhesive eraser. Seems plausible. Be careful it does not stay in one spot too long and cause heat or wear. Maybe this after a bit of soaking with liquid car wax.

If the bug remover is thick enough to stay in place when dabbed on thickly, it might work as well.

I would think plastic headlights are about as susceptible to damage as paint. Use caution.

A clay bar is for ulta fine last stage cleaning/polishing of large areas of paint. It pulls up very fine particles embedded in the paint, but wouldn't last long going over bugs. It's more like a polishing compound than a cleaner.

I've never found a method that didn't have me sitting on a stool in front of the truck for an hour (or two).

Auto detailers probably have their tricks. They will come to you. $$$$.

Back to the bamboo paint stirrer. Or a softer wood paint stirrer. If you have a grinder or belt sander, you can shape the end into a chisel-point scraper at least as effective as a finger-nail. Still a tedious job.
Thanks.

The wet dryer sheet is working wonders. Will take an hour or two, but it'll be cleaner than it ever has been.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #17440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
THIS!! Holy crap, thank you.
Not super fast, but it works.

Do I need to find the MSDS for dryer sheets?

Tags
camper