Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2014, 07:50 AM   #1761

Also make sure they order you the high pressure stems for the sensors, it's more important then with the screw on type, they are about 1 and 1/2" long,(the sensor) the bolt in type are the best, I tried with the normal high pressure with the rubber insert and they still showed on the rim where they were hitting with the hex screw otherwise I wouldn't have known. If you add air with them on sometimes it works and sometimes not. Mike at TST told me to take them off and put them back on and bingo they started reading right, He asked if I add air and I said yes. So that's when he told me to do that, so there must be a problem with that. But it won't happen everytime.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #1762

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrieHunde View Post
Added screen protection on both doors. We didn't like the commercial options and actually saved quite a bit.
What is the material used and will it hold up to a dog.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:05 AM   #1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrieHunde View Post
Added screen protection on both doors. We didn't like the commercial options and actually saved quite a bit.
Had the same on my Jayco Eagle and it worked great. The people before me must of had a dog that liked to push against it. How much do you think it would cost FR to add glass like a screen door at home? Probably not much. Plus the insulating value in the colder months.....

Old 09-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #1764
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Put 3/16" Lexan panels in the screen door so we can leave the door open if the ac or heat is on while we're in FL this winter. Fitting the panels in the channels so we don't have any clips to turn, etc.
3/16 Lexan here too. Has withstood our 65 pound German Shorthair for years now.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:34 AM   #1765
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
After giving it much thought and a little nudge from OldCoot I have decided on some new tires for the RV before our trip. Have decided on the Maxxis 8008 D, tomorrow I'll see if direst tire can order them. I also just ordered the TST TPMS with the flow thru sensors. When the TPMS gets here I'll have the new tires mounted with steel valve stems and balanced with the sensors in place. May have to postpone our departure for several days or so, better than being stranded someplace that we don't want to be. That will mean re-torquing wheel lugs every hundred miles or so for awhile untill they are seated.
I ordered mine directly from Home - Discount Tire Direct. Shipped free to my door. I then took 2 tires at a time to a local tire shop to have them mounted and balanced before reinstalling them on the camper.

Just remember to check torque every 25-50 miles or so the first trip out until they stop loosening up.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #1766
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
So to fit the lexan in the channel, it's just wedged in there after being cut slightly larger than the opening? I am trying to avoid more Velcro add that'll attract dirt and my kids curious fingers... Looks great to me
If you look at the inside of the door, you'll see the channels that OC mentions. Just measure and cut to size:
Learn To RV: Screen Door Cover Babyproofing Mod

I added 3m sticky things, but honestly it wasn't needed.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #1767

1. Removed the factory water filter prior to hooking up city water on our new TT, can sleep soundly now.
2. Relocated the breakway switch so I could move the Equal-i-zer trailer brackets to the preferred 32" from the coupler. Dealer had installed them at 28.5" to avoid the switch, rides better now.
3. Wasp guards on HW heater, furnace and fridge.
4. Removed the two awning side wheels and tires to have the cheap FR provided tires removed, GY marathons and metal stems installed. Will do the other side tonight.

So many other mods I want to do but some of the first will be:
1. OC awning brackets mounted, and poles/straps set up.
2. Get rid of the insanely noisy Dometic fridge fan, for a pair of quieter ones.
3. Add another pair of stabilizers near the axle, should they go in front or behind?
4. Outdoor storage compartment organization.
5. Install several 5x5 pvc fence posts for long item storage.

And many more I'm sure.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #1768
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
What is the material used and will it hold up to a dog.
It's a 25 gauge sheet metal material that I found at Lowes. Comes in a 2x3 ft sheet and they have different patterns (clover leafs, triangles) but we chose this one because we didn't want dog claws getting stuck in the metal. The larger holes are the same size as a #8 screw. Very easy to work with.
As far as holding up to the pups...they would knock the screen door open before this stuff gave out.

A more "secure" latch on the screen door is now on my never ending mod list!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #1769
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Smart then you shouldn't have to worry on your trip. Why would you have re-torque them. Your rims should be well seated by now? It would be fine to check every once in awhile but I wouldn't think that every 100 miles would be necessary. I had new tires put on after 6000 miles never re-torque them. Also they took my tires off and put new hubs on, they torque them in Goshen drove back to Va. and they still where set at 110lbs. When checked last week.
Alum wheels once removed should be re-torqued several times to re-seat the lug nuts on the wheel. Alum wheels are much different than steel ones as the material relaxes more when the lug nuts are removed. All alum wheel mfgrs recommend checking torque every 75-100 miles after removing them until there is no movement on the wrench. From my experience, it takes a minimum of 2 checks and a max of 3 to get all 20 lug nuts to re-seat. I will have to re-torque mine after having the steel high pressure stems installed. Will re-torque before we leave for FL and at least 2 or 3 times the first day on the road. That's why I leave the hubcaps off the 1st day. It's a PITA, but definitely necessary to keep from tearing up a wheel or loosing one.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #1770
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Alum wheels once removed should be re-torqued several times to re-seat the lug nuts on the wheel. Alum wheels are much different than steel ones as the material relaxes more when the lug nuts are removed. All alum wheel mfgrs recommend checking torque every 75-100 miles after removing them until there is no movement on the wrench. From my experience, it takes a minimum of 2 checks and a max of 3 to get all 20 lug nuts to re-seat. I will have to re-torque mine after having the steel high pressure stems installed. Will re-torque before we leave for FL and at least 2 or 3 times the first day on the road. That's why I leave the hubcaps off the 1st day. It's a PITA, but definitely necessary to keep from tearing up a wheel or loosing one.
Following OldCoot's advice, I found the same thing. I think it took me 4-5 times but it wasn't awful. Quick potty stop and I hit them all with the torque wrench.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #1771

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I ordered mine directly from Home - Discount Tire Direct. Shipped free to my door. I then took 2 tires at a time to a local tire shop to have them mounted and balanced before reinstalling them on the camper.

Just remember to check torque every 25-50 miles or so the first trip out until they stop loosening up.
How is the tire torque going to loosen up after the rims have been set already? Are you saying that if you have a flat after I torque it to mine at 110 lbs the lugs nut will loosen again? That is just crazy. When you change a tire on a car do you stop every 25 miles to check the lugs? I don't they are set by now. Even better do you think that the person who transported the trailer ever checked the torque, when they where brand new, I don't think so...... Is it wise to check once before a trip Yes, that's it.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #1772
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
I'm envious of you guys who can wash your trailers. With the drought here in Texas, we can only wash our vehicles at a car wash...and no one has a car wash big enough for my 5th wheel!
Oh but they do!

http://squeekycarwash.com/

TURBS

How can I annoy OC today?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #1773

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Love your new signature, just don't hold it back, say what's on your mind......I guess you do..

Old 09-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #1774
Mod free 5er

Quote:
How is the tire torque going to loosen up after the rims have been set already? Are you saying that if you have a flat after I torque it to mine at 110 lbs the lugs nut will loosen again? That is just crazy. When you change a tire on a car do you stop every 25 miles to check the lugs? I don't they are set by now. Even better do you think that the person who transported the trailer ever checked the torque, when they where brand new, I don't think so...... Is it wise to check once before a trip Yes, that's it.
Not checking tire torque, checking the torque on the lug nuts and they do not seat completely on the initial tightening. What the transporters do is of no concern once the trailer is mine. Steel wheels on your car/truck are a completely different animal. They are not aluminum. But, you do what you want. Me, I'll check mine after they've been off as will others that are concerned and have checked them as I have and found them in need of tweaking.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #1775

Quote:
Then lord help all of us ignorant industry pros that don't know anything.

It's a precaution, yes they can and have loosened up, you're probably ready to get out and stretch after a couple of hours driving. Take the minute it takes to put the wrench on the lugs.

The airline industry torques every bolt/nut in pattern, then loosens one bolt/nut at a time and torques it back down to spec. The wrench will turn further than before, that's because the part settles in.

The same thing happens while towing. Everything gets to a settled point and will then take another 1/8-1/4 turn to reach torque.

Even your buddy OC says it takes a few whacks with the torque wrench to reach final torque.

Were they checked during delivery? We don't know. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #1776
NELA

With our V-Lite, we took OC's advice and checked torque about every 200 miles on our way to Pigeon Forge last year. Yep, found them in need of a tweak a couple of times.

Doing the same with our 5er. Sneak checks them before we leave, and if it's a long trip he re-checks, especially with the new tires, occasionally during the run.

I repeat: being OCD is a *good thing* when you're an RVer.

Sneak keeps his torque wrench in the truck door pocket. It only takes a few minutes to be "better safe than sorry".

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #1777

took some clothes out and going to get ready to winterize it
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #1778

X2 F1100Turbo, OldCoot, SKnight and Weezer
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #1779
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Then lord help all of us ignorant industry pros that don't know anything.

It's a precaution, yes they can and have loosened up, you're probably ready to get out and stretch after a couple of hours driving. Take the minute it takes to put the wrench on the lugs.

The airline industry torques every bolt/nut in pattern, then loosens one bolt/nut at a time and torques it back down to spec. The wrench will turn further than before, that's because the part settles in.

The same thing happens while towing. Everything gets to a settled point and will then take another 1/8-1/4 turn to reach torque.

Even your buddy OC says it takes a few whacks with the torque wrench to reach final torque.

Were they checked during delivery? We don't know. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.
Well said SKnight, but for a few folks, it is all for naught! They don't do it, so why would anyone else do it regardless of the logic?
Old 09-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #1780

There is a sticker on every camper I have owned about checking lug nuts in 50 miles after having the tire off. I lost one on a pop up in side the 50 miles.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper