Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2017, 05:12 PM   #9381

Yesterday I smelled propane outside my R-Pod 171. Smell was strongest by the tank so I turned off the valve.

Today I got out soapy water and a brush, turned the propane back on, and discovered that the Cavagna Group 524AS propane regulator was leaking.

Turned the gas back off, removed the regulator, tied plastic bags over open lines.

Went up to "local" RV dealer (78 miles round trip) and ordered a new regulator, which is supposed to arrive tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I can get it installed before the weather turns cold again.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:12 PM   #9382

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
Yesterday I smelled propane outside my R-Pod 171. Smell was strongest by the tank so I turned off the valve.

Today I got out soapy water and a brush, turned the propane back on, and discovered that the Cavagna Group 524AS propane regulator was leaking.

Turned the gas back off, removed the regulator, tied plastic bags over open lines.

Went up to "local" RV dealer (78 miles round trip) and ordered a new regulator, which is supposed to arrive tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I can get it installed before the weather turns cold again.
78 miles!! That's what Amazon is for.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:17 PM   #9383

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
78 miles!! That's what Amazon is for.
First, I screwed up the mileage. It's 48, not 78.

Second, dealer will have part to me tomorrow, and landed price is below that on internet.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #9384

Quote:
First, I screwed up the mileage. It's 48, not 78.

Second, dealer will have part to me tomorrow, and landed price is below that on internet.
That works.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:41 PM   #9385

I had to inflate 2 tires on the Windjammer. They were almost flat when I checked it at the storage lot. The china bombs just will not hold air. I have new tires ready to go, I guess I need to make time and get it done. I was in hopes of making till spring but that project needs to be put up front. I also did some measuring to install a small recliner in additional to the factory seating. It looks like it will fit and not be in the way. It will be light enough to be placed on the dinette or couch while moving with the slides in. The idea is not to loose any sleeping area for the grand kids ie; the dinette and the couch.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:05 PM   #9386

Quote:
I don't use antifreeze in potable water lines. I disconnect the pump and run it to clear it of water.

As installed by Forest River, there's little clearance to remove strainer bowl to check for debris.
For the life of me I cannot understand why they install the strainer in such a bad spot. I have to dismount my pump to remove the strainer.... horrible location. It's getting relocated this winter.

You have little clearance... I have none.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:13 PM   #9387

Got my new battery box built and tomorrow I have to go pick up another battery at Menards, Menards is gaving a 15% off everything sale that you can fit in the supplied (in the newspaper) bag.

I can get the battery, 4 gallons of Rotella 5-40 some crimp on battery lugs and 4 or 5 bags of dog treats in that bag.

Gonna be super heavy but it will fit...(or I'll make it fit.....)

As an aside, Menards has the lowest everyday price on 5-40 Rotella Synthetic...
Old 01-03-2017, 08:16 PM   #9388

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
For the life of me I cannot understand why they install the strainer in such a bad spot. I have to dismount my pump to remove the strainer.... horrible location. It's getting relocated this winter.

You have little clearance... I have none.
I'm relocating my pump as part of a project to install a water pressure tank. I plan to shim the pump up 1 1/2 to 2 inches above the floor to provide better maintenance access and reduce operating noise (I'm planning to shim with pressure treated wood and some closed cell foam).
Old 01-03-2017, 08:40 PM   #9389

Quote:
I'm relocating my pump as part of a project to install a water pressure tank. I plan to shim the pump up 1 1/2 to 2 inches above the floor to provide better maintenance access and reduce operating noise (I'm planning to shim with pressure treated wood and some closed cell foam).
Mine is pretty quiet and I added a Camco pressure tank (the little one) in the cold water line under the sink (which is the first distribution point). I used black rubber washers I got at Lowes in the plumbing department under the pump mounts.

My strainer is sitting hard on the floor, no room for removal at all. When I saw that I was a little peeved. What good is a debris strainer you cannot clean?
Old 01-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #9390

Quote:
Menards is gaving a 15% off everything sale that you can fit in the supplied (in the newspaper) bag.
Think I can get one of the 2 gallon Water Worker pressure tanks in the bag? I want to put one in my trailer.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:17 AM   #9391

It is a full sized paper shopping bag so maybe. Can stick out the top according to Menards.

I'm gonna load one up today sometime.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #9392

Quote:
It is a full sized paper shopping bag so maybe. Can stick out the top according to Menards.

I'm gonna load one up today sometime.
Flip,plcs please! Youroo! !
Old 01-04-2017, 09:43 AM   #9393

Not a picture person. It came with the newspaper this weekend in the ad section. We actually got 2 because we get more than one paper. One came in the Toledo Blade, the other came in the Adrian Telegram.

Brown paper shopping bag. I do, do better than 15% off. My plastic gives me another 2% so I'm getting 17% actually. Factoring in Lucas County sales tax (7%), it really works out to 10% off, but Menards is pretty low priced anyway.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #9394

Due to leak in propane regulator having vented a bunch of propane, went to get tank filled, first at a hardware store, where it refused to accept propane, then at Pete's RV, where the same thing happened. They swapped tanks for no fee, I paid $16 for propane cost in the supposedly full tank, which turned out to be 75% full, but it was still a bargain, a new tank would have been thirty bucks.

Replaced the regulator and tested everything.

Mounted my new water pressure tank - still need to reinstall water pump in its new location and do piping work. At least I can now have heat when I'm working.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #9395
Mod free 5er

Had a minor problem yesterday when we tried to retract the LR slide. The new TorkLift Glowsteps frame work has a 3/16" thk 1"x1" angle on the back that just clears the manual tube for the slide. Problem was the cross pin in the tube hit the angle and stopped the motor. Got out the trusty Dremel and cut a little off both ends of the pin and everything worked great. We love the new steps, they are very solid with no give, bounce, squeaks or nothing. One of the best mods I've made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame installed with spacers.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	127543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dusty checking the carpet tile out.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	127544  
Old 01-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #9396

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Had a minor problem yesterday when we tried to retract the LR slide. The new TorkLift Glowsteps frame work has a 3/16" thk 1"x1" angle on the back that just clears the manual tube for the slide. Problem was the cross pin in the tube hit the angle and stopped the motor. Got out the trusty Dremel and cut a little off both ends of the pin and everything worked great. We love the new steps, they are very solid with no give, bounce, squeaks or nothing. One of the best mods I've made.
Nice pup.......
Old 01-04-2017, 09:24 PM   #9397

Winterized.
Having a bit of cold weather coming in and don't need busted pipes.
But heading south to the Gulf in February!!!
2020 is a BUST!
ejknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #9398

Quote:
Not a picture person. It came with the newspaper this weekend in the ad section. We actually got 2 because we get more than one paper. One came in the Toledo Blade, the other came in the Adrian Telegram.

Brown paper shopping bag. I do, do better than 15% off. My plastic gives me another 2% so I'm getting 17% actually. Factoring in Lucas County sales tax (7%), it really works out to 10% off, but Menards is pretty low priced anyway.
Filled the bag up this afternoon to the tune of 200 bucks. 2 new deep cycle batteries (Exide) 4 gallons of Rotella T5 and 10 bags of dog treats. I have another bag for later in the week....
Old 01-04-2017, 09:33 PM   #9399

Quote:
Due to leak in propane regulator having vented a bunch of propane, went to get tank filled, first at a hardware store, where it refused to accept propane, then at Pete's RV, where the same thing happened. They swapped tanks for no fee, I paid $16 for propane cost in the supposedly full tank, which turned out to be 75% full, but it was still a bargain, a new tank would have been thirty bucks.

Replaced the regulator and tested everything.

Mounted my new water pressure tank - still need to reinstall water pump in its new location and do piping work. At least I can now have heat when I'm working.
I drive part time for the local propane distributor delivering residential propane and they gill small bottles (including mine). They fill them on a scale, selling product by weight, not volume. a 20 pounder weighs so much full (which works out to 80% of total volume).... At 75 you were very close to full.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:43 PM   #9400

Quote:
There is a Tractor Supply Store near me that only charges for the amount of propane added to a tank. I had a couple of partially filled tanks and they only charged to top them off.
Store was just off US-23 at North Territorial Road north of Ann Arbor MI.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper