Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #14541

Winterized since we're done for the season [emoji20] and washed. Did a test area with wax on an oxidized area. Will wax next weekend. Brought home stink slinky stuff to wash out.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #14542
NH Maple Maker

I removed the anode rod and flushed the WH and then I winterized it. I put clean sheets on the bed and remade it. I'll give the floors a final sweep and close it up for the winter tomorrow. I'm going to mow the lawn one more time then move the TT into it's winter parking spot.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #14543
Old Camping Squid

Winterized it. It's all done, washed about 5 coats of wax and full of anti-freeze and all food removed.
EZgo TXT and ClubCar Precedent golf carts
2009 Forest River Salem 30QBSS
U.S. Navy Veteran
Eagle-751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:02 PM   #14544

Inspected my water pump area before winterizing. Ordered in the bypass valve kit to input RV antifreeze via the water pump. Vacuumed up more construction residue from that area (metal & wood shavings). Bypassed the water heater while in there. Stripped the beds for winter. Ordered a second set of the leveler interlocking Lynx chocks and flat caps for the levelers (the flat even surface is better for the tires IMHO but then I can lock together a single layer of levelers).
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:09 AM   #14545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprise View Post
Installed the Camco winterization kit (water pump driven), and winterized it.

I can always remove the winterization if I take it out before spring, but at least now, I won't be caught off guard by a sudden cold snap. Was satisfying to get this out of the way.

One thing I noticed was that after the gallon bottle of antifreeze dropped to about 1/2 of its capacity, that the pump seemed to have trouble drawing the remainder out of the bottle. Solved this by cracking open a new bottle, combining 1/2 bottles, etc. Lifting (& tilting) the bottles helped a little bit, but not much.

In all, I used about 2.5 gallons (which looks to be about 1 gallon more than the more experienced members are able to get the process done with).

Not complaining -- I'd rather use a little more while I get used to the process, than to not have enough and suffer damage to the plumbing.

Glad I wore old clothes - even though I used the pressure relief valve on the WH, I got quite the splash when I removed the anode rod to drain the WH - along with some of the contents of the rod on my clothes. Surprising to see how quickly that rod deteriorates - it only was 'in use' for about 2.5 weeks, but about 3/4 of an inch of the plug end had already been consumed.

I would rather use more and be sure, than not enough and be sorry. It's cheap stuff.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:24 AM   #14546

How was your trip? Did you get any fishing in the mountains? Beautiful area and close to you. Have any problem winging it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyairport View Post
Cleaned out the inside and started loading things for a week up into the mountains near Asheville N.C.. Going to be at Lake Powhatan for the 1st night on Friday and hopefully we can grab a walk up site for the rest of the week. If we can't we'll wing it.

See you down the road.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:36 AM   #14547

started the winterizing process, started raining hope to finish next weekend
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #14548
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfort View Post
The one right above it.
The post right above it is also your post. The post above that one is a picture...

Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #14549
Always Learning

Replaced a motor on my bathroom fan made by Dexter Axle Co of all people. They were great to deal with from a warranty perspective- quick email with voltmeter measurements and had to provide camper purchase date, from who, and VIN. They sent out the motor and a piece that we broke (the housing that the screen clips into) almost immediately.

Also replaced the batteries in my RVLock. We seem to get about 10 months out of a set of batteries for our main door. Our rear door gets a lot less use and I don't remember the last time (if ever) we replaced those batteries.

And am ordering a new screen door striker plate after busting one. Fortunately I robbed one from the rear door but now need to replace that one.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #14550
Take it easy,but take it

I use a can koozy !
Nickrenfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:58 PM   #14551

HA! It is more like what don't we have to do....new RV had been in a service facility since 8/3 after picking it up for it's first time out on 7/21. Loads of warranty issues were discovered on our maiden voyage so we dropped it right back off at the dealer upon arriving home. After canceling two scheduled trips we finally got it back on Saturday 10/13 (after many phone calls and a talk with upper management) for just an overnighter to see friends just 83 miles away. If for nothing else, we wanted to make sure they still had our RV and weren't renting it out! If I had a DNA testing lab I could scientifically prove that we weren't the only inhabitants of the RV since purchasing it. Let's just say we all have dark hair and traces of another shade were found en masse in certain areas of the RV. Yeah.

Upon walk through at pick up on Saturday, none of the warranty items had been addressed accordingly and more damage was discovered! The dome to the venting fan in the bath was completely gone (and it had been, and was, raining). The only work they did do was the "paid" work (dinger on a side panel encountered at a gas station when a little vehicle apparently didn't see all 39' of us and our truck - SMH). We are still waiting on a part from pre-pickup that hasn't been received yet too (12+ weeks ago). Absolutely flabbergasted right now and we have an extended trip planned in a few weeks. Hopefully we can get it in for proper service with a new dealer/service provider and get this mess fixed right.

Oh, and I forgot to add that we found a slide that is funneling water INTO the unit rather than away from it.

On a positive note, I did add a foam topper to our main bed and a pretty comforter set to replace the one we received upon deliver that had human excrement on it. I did get the first quality night's sleep in the unit despite thunderstorms and tornadoes in the area than I have ever had in the unit. Maybe it was just that I was just so exhausted from "bailing" water out of the unit and wringing out beach towels for multiple hours. It sure did feel good to lay down though!

What was supposed to be a fun adventure for our family has been nothing but an absolute fiasco. We never had this problem with previous units and really frustrated with the dealership and the lack of quality control from the manufacturer. Hopefully once we talk to their warranty department we can get on the right page. Hopefully.
Stefanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #14552
54 Years, 13 RV's

Let me guess..... Camping World?
Old 10-15-2018, 02:23 PM   #14553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfort View Post
Let me guess..... Camping World?

No. A regional place called FunTown RV with about 8-10 locations through TX and OK.

The particular dealership we went to (the one closest to us) is their weak link apparently. All the other locations have really good ratings and other friends have had nothing but good things to say about them. Just our luck.

Hoping we can make some headway with the manufacturer soon.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:26 PM   #14554
54 Years, 13 RV's

Best of luck.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #14555
Take it easy,but take it

wright to trailer LIFE -magazine-they have a help section--called RV RESOLUTIONS--mail a typed letter to Trailer Life RV Solutions 2750 Park View Court suite 240 Oxnard California 93036 copys of appropriate bills,photos,and correspondence along with self addressed ,stamped envelope.They seem to be able to resolve some problems---Yours is way over the top..
Nickrenfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #14556

Appreciate it, need all that we can get.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:48 PM   #14557
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
No. A regional place called FunTown RV with about 8-10 locations through TX and OK.

The particular dealership we went to (the one closest to us) is their weak link apparently. All the other locations have really good ratings and other friends have had nothing but good things to say about them. Just our luck.

Hoping we can make some headway with the manufacturer soon.
Sounds like their Cleburne location. I know a fellow Spartan 1245 owner who has been through the ringer with them.

Can you contact the manufacturer and try to get them to take the unit back to Indiana for you and fix it there?
Old 10-15-2018, 10:55 PM   #14558

Winterized [emoji22]
Last week I was away, camping; at the beginning of the week I was wishing I’d brought more summer clothes, then by the end I was getting up every couple of hours to run the tap to be safe because it was below freezing. We’re expecting that temp a couple more times this week [emoji22]
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #14559
Site Team

While winterizing I discovered that there was enough slack in the lines that I could completely remove the kw1 filter that I never used.

Didn't even have to buy the connector. Just took it right off the filter housing.

Name:   filter.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  34.8 KB
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #14560

When I removed the filter like you, I installed a "T" fitting and a 2 gallon pressure tank that greatly reduced how often the pump runs.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper

« Picking a WDH | - »