Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #15081
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
When I rewired my 12v system and installed an inverter I just bought 25' lengths of #4 welding cable, enough crimp on lugs, and an IWISS crimping tool from Amazon (around $30). Every cable was exactly the right length and a whole lot cheaper than if I'd bought them from an auto parts store or battery store

One suggestion for your "bowl of spaghetti", label both ends of each wire with it's source/destination. Maybe even pair with zip ties where appropriate.

If it works then "fugly" is secondary.
For some reason, I'm really nervous about making my own cables. But I also went crazy overboard on sizing (2/0 and 4/0 in the battery bay).

The only good part to the bowl of spaghetti is it's all in one area.

I think getting some busbars will help clean it up.. if nothing else, it'll help with some of the piles of connections I have different places.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #15082

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I didn't think the laundry drained into the black tank.

It might be good to fill the black tank at least 1/3 full and drop let it slosh around as you drive to a site. That may help.

In the future fill the tank 1/4 full when you dump it so it has water to keep that from happening again. You can put some Rid-Ex in it too when it sits to let that bacteria go to work on it.
Not recommending this...but one might consider Thrift drain cleaner. Sposta be safe for all materials and septic systems. Might be worth looking into. YMMV
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #15083

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I think getting some busbars will help clean it up.. if nothing else, it'll help with some of the piles of connections I have different places.
Yep...busbars are good. Piles of connections are bad. I saw a professional installer put around 8 connections on a shunt once. He didn't understand why that was a bad idea. For example, Marine ABYC standards limit the number of ring terminals to 4 on one terminal post.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #15084
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Yep...busbars are good. Piles of connections are bad. I saw a professional installer put around 8 connections on a shunt once. He didn't understand why that was a bad idea. For example, Marine ABYC standards limit the number of ring terminals to 4 on one terminal post.
8?! Wow!

I'm unhappy that I've hit 3 or 4 for a couple of connections. It's just such a hassle to get it all screwed together. I had one ground connection that I was cursing by the time I got it all back together!
Old 02-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #15085

Quote:
8?! Wow!

I'm unhappy that I've hit 3 or 4 for a couple of connections. It's just such a hassle to get it all screwed together. I had one ground connection that I was cursing by the time I got it all back together!
yeah...it was Brian Boone who thinks he's the best installer in the world and tries to dominate all the Facebook solar pages.

Get a good crimper, cable cutter and quality lugs and make your own cables. I have bought some lugs on Amazon but they are pretty thin for my liking. I like the ones from genuinedeaz.com the best.

Whatever you do, don't use a hammer crimper and don't use solder. Total rookie move.

Here is a picture of my busbars in my solar install. This is in my pass through. It folds up so you don't see it all.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #15086
Always Learning

Quote:
yeah...it was Brian Boone who thinks he's the best installer in the world and tries to dominate all the Facebook solar pages.

Get a good crimper, cable cutter and quality lugs and make your own cables. I have bought some lugs on Amazon but they are pretty thin for my liking. I like the ones from genuinedeaz.com the best.

Whatever you do, don't use a hammer crimper and don't use solder. Total rookie move.

Here is a picture of my busbars in my solar install. This is in my pass through. It folds up so you don't see it all.

Heh, yeah.. Brian Boone is quite the character. I know he's quick to argue and then boot people from his group so he stays right.

I will say, I'm loving your 2 layers of panels that you have things mounted to. I've got a variety of things that I need to install in my battery hatch and was worried I wouldn't have enough wall space for everything that I want to hang.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #15087

Quote:
I will say, I'm loving your 2 layers of panels that you have things mounted to. I've got a variety of things that I need to install in my battery hatch and was worried I wouldn't have enough wall space for everything that I want to hang.
I used to have a panel there that all it did was shield the backside of the wall ac outlet. I mounted a piece of birch plywood to just cover that with aluminum angle. Used the same type of plywood to create the fold down piece.

Overall, there was no loss in room since the panel that was originally in there as a shield stuck out further than what I have now.

I also added some 5V fans, after these pictures were taken, that run directly off the solar panels through a buck converter. This keeps air moving since this is such a tight area. When my solar is cranking, there is some heat build up with out them.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #15088

This is where the batteries are on the other side of the wall under the bed. VERY close to all the charging components and the inverter.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #15089
Canadian Member

Quote:
Heh, yeah.. Brian Boone is quite the character. I know he's quick to argue and then boot people from his group so he stays right.

Have you seen the setup the Ray from has? He has a lot of things mounted on the back wall of the front compartment of his Cougar 5th wheel. I have to admit that I don't know much about solar so it doesn't take much to impress me on that subject. His setup may or may not be great.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #15090

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Have you seen the setup the Ray from has? He has a lot of things mounted on the back wall of the front compartment of his Cougar 5th wheel. I have to admit that I don't know much about solar so it doesn't take much to impress me on that subject. His setup may or may not be great.
He does a few things that aren't very safe there including no battery switch right after the fuse/batteries and no small breaker after the converter, otherwise pretty good.

It's good he puts the 200A catastrophic fuse right after the batteries. Only problem is that there are unfused wires after that that will fail way before that 200A fuse blows. Would be good to put a breaker leaving his bus bar going to his switch and then going to his house loads right after the bus bar. Even in my install, I violate that somewhat but it's a very short length before it hits the breaker.

It's good he actually ties down his batteries. I see so many installs where the batteries are just sitting there with nothing holding them down. I have seen installs with 10 or more battleborn batteries with not a single tie down.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #15091

Quote:
This is where the batteries are on the other side of the wall under the bed. VERY close to all the charging components and the inverter.

Is this area vented to the outside??
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #15092
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Is this area vented to the outside??
These lithium batteries don't require venting.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:52 PM   #15093
Canadian Member

Lithium batteries don't off gas and contain no liquid. They can be installed inside without ventilation and in any orientation you want.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:58 PM   #15094

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
I'm looking forward to the pics.
You've got me thinking...
Me too, DW was just asking what we could do to make ours more comfortable.

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:04 PM   #15095

Quote:
These lithium batteries don't require venting.

Didn't see the label clearly enough.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:48 PM   #15096

Quote:
Sadly, it does drain to the black tank. I checked with the manufacturer (Spartan/Prime Time) and they confirmed it should be a gray tank.
That situation is unsanitary at worst and actually the potential to be Life Threatening at worst.

I would inform the manufacturer you want it corrected IMMEDIATELY!

That situation cannot be allowed to remain. You have the potential for fecal matter to backup into your washing machine and all the clothing you wash.

NOT GOOD!!
Old 02-13-2019, 10:05 PM   #15097

Quote:
That situation is unsanitary at worst and actually the potential to be Life Threatening at worst.

I would inform the manufacturer you want it corrected IMMEDIATELY!

That situation cannot be allowed to remain. You have the potential for fecal matter to backup into your washing machine and all the clothing you wash.

NOT GOOD!!
I believe, as many on this board will confirm, that Ependydad is well versed on the dangers, and is all over the problem.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:07 PM   #15098

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpierce View Post
I believe, as many on this board will confirm, that Ependydad is well versed on the dangers, and is all over the problem.
I would hope so, but I was totally ignorant of that fact. I thought that, in the event he was not, Id try and impress on him the danger.

Would you rather I kept my mouth shut and potentially let someone who may be blissfully ignorant suffer the horrible consequences?

I think not! so your third party, condescending reply was really not necessary, was it?
Old 02-13-2019, 11:19 PM   #15099

Quote:
I would hope so, but I was totally ignorant of that fact. I thought that, in the event he was not, Id try and impress on him the danger.

Would you rather I kept my mouth shut and potentially let someone who may be blissfully ignorant suffer the horrible consequences?

I think not! so your third party, condescending reply was really not necessary, was it?
I apologize. You are correct. Good advice for those that are not up to speed.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:33 PM   #15100

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougschne View Post
Thanks. This is the final chassis upgrade. We did the better tires, disc brakes, and MoRyde rubber pin box, which made a huge difference. Now the suspension should give us a nice ride and add longevity and safety.
Go ahead and get the MORryde IS suspension, you won't be sorry. it is by far the best suspension you can't under your rig.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper