Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2019, 06:37 PM   #1

What was the worst lie the rv dealer told you to try and close the sale?

I was just thinking back to my buying experience the other day. I remember being torn between two rigs, one had about a 150lbs heavier tongue weight. I didn’t have my tow vehicle yet, and I ended up getting a expedition. When I called and said we had decided to go with the lighter TT due to my TV capabilities especially the TW weight. She told me “that’s what the WDH is for, so you don’t need to worry about that.” The kicker is when I inquired about sway control on the hitch they sold me I was told, “ in 30 years of towing I have never needed or have installed sway control on these hitches. That is what those tension bars are for.”

You learn so much buying your first trailer! When we are ready to buy our second one I will have a list of must haves. I might even try and play dumb to see if they say some more dumb **** and I can call them out on it!
Waterlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:50 PM   #2

"We'll get those factory issues taken care of right after we get this paperwork done".

That was about 8 or 9 RVs ago. Every word they've said since is a lie. Trust none of them.....
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:50 PM   #3

Technically he didn’t lie at all. He stated his opinion and everyone has one. Now if he would have said your geo metro can pull this 10,000 pound camper then you might be able to say he lied. It’s called puffing.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #4

Is that your diesel Dodge?

That truck will pull anything we have.

As I just left a $75k(on sale) 5er.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #5

Worst lie told by RV dealer

I have a better one. I had gotten a really low interest rate from a credit union...4.39% 7 years.The RV dealer (finance mgr. no less) offered us 8.75% for 15 years. And here is the kicker...he says "You know. If you finance longer and have lower payments, you pay more towards the principal!"

I nearly lost it. My husband had already told him I worked for a major mortgage company and understood financing.

We walked out and bought from another dealer!
Kathy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:19 PM   #6

Easy, the owner of the dealership came in to introduce himself and said:

"Our service department is second to none. It's the repeat customers after the sale that we like to have a relationship with."

He was a d-bag and I was introduced to 5 different service managers in the first year before I called Forest River directly.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:37 AM   #7

Ours wasn't to close the deal but did almost end the deal....let's just get all the paperwork out of the way before you check out the camper
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:47 PM   #8

We knew what we wanted and didn't want anything else. The salesman said it looks like you need a right angle hose for your water inlet? They put the spare tire directly in front of it. I said it looks like we will need another left rear brake light too because you put the spare tire in front of that also?
Tom911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #9
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlizard View Post
I was just thinking back to my buying experience the other day. I remember being torn between two rigs, one had about a 150lbs heavier tongue weight. I didn’t have my tow vehicle yet, and I ended up getting a expedition. When I called and said we had decided to go with the lighter TT due to my TV capabilities especially the TW weight. She told me “that’s what the WDH is for, so you don’t need to worry about that.” The kicker is when I inquired about sway control on the hitch they sold me I was told, “ in 30 years of towing I have never needed or have installed sway control on these hitches. That is what those tension bars are for.”

You learn so much buying your first trailer! When we are ready to buy our second one I will have a list of must haves. I might even try and play dumb to see if they say some more dumb **** and I can call them out on it!
Why even play that game with them? If that's their mentality just take your money and go somewhere else. There's an old saying, Never wrestle with pigs in the mud, because you're both going to get dirty, but the pig likes it.

I happened to blessed with a good dealer. Family owned business. Owner and son are fellow VFW members. Wives are active in the community and PTA.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Why even play that game with them? If that's their mentality just take your money and go somewhere else. There's an old saying, Never wrestle with pigs in the mud, because you're both going to get dirty, but the pig likes it.

I happened to blessed with a good dealer. Family owned business. Owner and son are fellow VFW members. Wives are active in the community and PTA.

I was a naive first time buyer. Luckily I didn’t I looked up just enough to keep me out of trouble with my numbers.
Waterlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:18 PM   #11
Just as confused as you

While looking at a new trailer in February 2007, I asked if it comes with a spare tire as there were marks on the bumper where one was mounted. Salesman tells me the spare tire mount goes on the center of the bumper and my guy hasn't gotten to yet. I told him I can see where one was mounted. He says that it was mounted there by the factory for ease of shipping. He let it out that they expect me to buy the mount, tire and rim separately and pay them to mount it. As DW and I walked back to the truck I told him to quit lying. He stood there with a dumbaxx look on his face as we drove away. We ended up buying a left-over 27ft 2005 Timberlodge for 15.5k, less than half the 38k sticker.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #12
RV There Yet?

"we can only give you $2500 for your trade" no buddy, here is the proof that you will sell it for $8000. that changed the game (in our favor) significantly. and "by law, i have to tell you about our extended warranty" still cracks me up! once the BS was out of the way, we were treated fairly and properly by the dealer. they all try to play games until they realize you are wise to them.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:51 PM   #13

Oh your truck willl tow that rig ALL DAY LONG....

Q: So what should I be able to tow...??

You need to call Ford or look at your mannual.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #14
Insert witty title here

Sure, your half ton will tow this 25k lb 5'er. No problem

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:47 PM   #15
Happy Keystone Owner

I bought a new converted cargo trailer years ago that had 13feet of living space and 17 ft. garage to pull my Jeep around the country. It was a race trailer. Asked twice on different days and again the day I signed the paper....how much does it weigh? Three different people gave the same answer. 5500lbs.
Perfect I thought.
Hauled it home the 70 miles thinking, there’s no flipping way this thing is only 5500lbs.
Turned out to be 8500lbs empty!!
Bought it on a Saturday and it was back on their lot on that Tuesday. Full refund.
Shipping papers for the trailer were more than likely before the conversion.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:52 PM   #16

The classic:

Q How do you know when a salesman is lying?

A His lips are moving.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #17

I’m glad to see this thread. I’ve already heard two maybe-not-so-true things from my dealer. (We close Tuesday of next week.) The first thing that I know is a lie is, “You’re taking all my profit out of the deal.” They wouldn’t sell it to me at anything BUT a profit. The other is not a lie I suppose. More like a sneaky thing. “We can go over all the systems and find problems before or after we do the paperwork. Your choice.” My choice is to make sure I’m happy with this used trailer before I sign the final papers. It comes with no warranty. As I told my wife, we’ll discover the problems sooner or later. I’d rather know before we own it.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:41 PM   #18

Once you start camping in this trailer women are going to flock to you like June bugs on a porch light.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
I’m glad to see this thread. I’ve already heard two maybe-not-so-true things from my dealer. (We close Tuesday of next week.) The first thing that I know is a lie is, “You’re taking all my profit out of the deal.” They wouldn’t sell it to me at anything BUT a profit. The other is not a lie I suppose. More like a sneaky thing. “We can go over all the systems and find problems before or after we do the paperwork. Your choice.” My choice is to make sure I’m happy with this used trailer before I sign the final papers. It comes with no warranty. As I told my wife, we’ll discover the problems sooner or later. I’d rather know before we own it.
Have them go over it BEFORE you get there and correct anything that needs attention. Then when YOU get there, go over it during your Customer Orientation and determine if anything else needs attention. You'll quickly see how competent they are/were.

Remember, YOU are the one that needs to be happy, not them.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:33 PM   #20

"LIQUIDATION SALE" plastered all over the front of an RV dealership, doors, and everywhere you could see...

asked about the 'sale prices' in the parts department, and the person responded:
"Oh, that's just for RVs" : /
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer