Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #1

What would you do?

Here is the question right up front. Do we keep this unit and fix the problem or trade it in on a new model.
Current unit 2009 model Flagstaff 832FKBSS. It has a delaminating sidewall that Forrest River will fix under the warranty if we get it to Gohen IN and back at our expense. (Unknown cost at this time)
We took delivery on this in June of 2008 and have had 4 full seasons of use ending with this year even though it is titled as a 2009 it was ordered and used within a month of being built.
Our thoughts are now leaning toward trading this unit in; yes we would disclose the problem. The current NADA trade value looks good but the problem may bring it down. If we could find a dealer that is willing to trade and ship it to Goshen under our current warranty (we know this may not be possible) then make a deal for something new while the trade value is still high.
As for Forrest River we have no problems with them and might even buy another Forrest River product just not sure what we want.
We welcome any thoughts or suggestions for this situation.
Thanks.

Mike and Donna
South Central Pennsylvania

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (gas)
2009 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
(Since June 3,
2008)
Mikesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
Villa Estate 392FLFB

is it just the wall that is the problem? how bad is it?

guess bottom line is do you want another layout and more debt or do you want to get it fixed and keep what you have.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #3

Take it there ... let them fix it. While they are at it, they will fix whatever else needs fixing, and it will come out looking very pretty. Then trade it in for something you want ..

Trading it as is will make you loose more money the transporting it there and back .... Drive it there, drop it, drive back ... I did the trip twice already with a brand new trailer ... yes I know sucks, but each time I was treated like i owned the company and everything wrong they could find out was replaced/fixed without even asking me.

After being fixed at the factory, you will get a very good trade in value. And If it gets fixed at the factory, it is as good as being brand new ... new material, same people who built it the first time. Is it really a repair worth mentioning ? The water heater had a small issue when I was visiting them, they replaced it right away. I sure as heck am not going to mention that the factory replaced the water heater at 8'th month if I ever sell/trade mine. It got a brand new one .... I know depends on what is being replaced... Two brand new walls put in by the factory ... Hmmm .. if I were to buy it, I would rather like that ... Compared to buying a used unit with a probable hidden leak not known to seller yet ....

Just my take on it
Old 08-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #4

Sounds like you may be losing confidence in the trailer. If that's the case, I would trade it in if you can make a deal that you can live with.

That's pretty much what I did with my last one. After the factory repair I still kept having problems, including leaks. I disclosed the complete history of the trailer to my current dealer and had them fix, under warranty, all that I could find wrong. I did take a hit when I traded, but I had lost confidence in the trailer to the point that I had actually quit using it.

Just do what feels right for you. Be open and honest with whoever you deal with. That way when you're out there camping and you lay down at night listening to the crickets singing, you can sleep with a peaceful smile.

Good luck and keep us posted.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
Take it there ... let them fix it. While they are at it, they will fix whatever else needs fixing, and it will come out looking very pretty. Then trade it in for something you want ..

Trading it as is will make you loose more money the transporting it there and back .... Drive it there, drop it, drive back ... I did the trip twice already with a brand new trailer ... yes I know sucks, but each time I was treated like i owned the company and everything wrong they could find out was replaced/fixed without even asking me.

After being fixed at the factory, you will get a very good trade in value. And If it gets fixed at the factory, it is as good as being brand new ... new material, same people who built it the first time. Is it really a repair worth mentioning ? The water heater had a small issue when I was visiting them, they replaced it right away. I sure as heck am not going to mention that the factory replaced the water heater at 8'th month if I ever sell/trade mine. It got a brand new one .... I know depends on what is being replaced... Two brand new walls put in by the factory ... Hmmm .. if I were to buy it, I would rather like that ... Compared to buying a used unit with a probable hidden leak not known to seller yet ....

Just my take on it
x2-

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #6

I would also take it in and get it fixed. Looking at Google maps it shows you are about 500 miles away from the factory.

Myself, I am 1700 miles away so that is a very different story. But being that close- I would do it.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote