Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
lol sorry to go off topic, this is what i think every time i wax something

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #22

what kind of wax is recommended? I can't believe all the choices. I was so confused when I went to the store, I came home empty handed! Regular car wax? Paste wax? Liquid wax?
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #23

Almost two months ago I used Protect All. It's good for any surface, glass, rubber, wood, paint, fiberglass, etc.... The trailer still looks great today. I also used it on the front of my truck just to check it out. It's holding up really well and the bugs wash off real easy!
Protect All contains a UV blocker so it will help keep your decals in good shape.
I believe that 303 Protectant is just as good if not better.
I used about 20 oz's to do the whole outside of my 34'11" trailer. Spray on an area about 2-3 foot square, spread evenly with a rag and then dry off with a clean towel. It took me less than an hour.
Protect All also makes a rubber roof treatment that does great.
As far as how often should you wax, I once had a guy who painted cars for a living tell me no more than 3 or 4 times a year. That was a few years ago and may not apply to today's products.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #24

that's kind of like asking what tow vehicle is the best or who makes the best hitch
I'll stick with my Turtle Wax Ice spray....it's too easy.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Almost two months ago I used Protect All. It's good for any surface, glass, rubber, paint, fiberglas, etc.... The trailer still looks great today. I also used it on the front of my truck just to check it out. It's holding up really well and the bugs wash off real easy!
Protect All contains a UV blocker so it will help keep your decals in good shape.
I believe that 303 Protectent is just as good if not better.
I used about 20 oz's to do the whole outside of my 34'11" trailer. Spray on an area about 2-3 foot square, spread evenly with a rag and the dry off with a clean towel. It took me less than an hour.
Protect All also makes a rubber roof treatment that does great.
As far as how often should you wax, I once had a guy who painted cars for a living tell me no more than 3 or 4 times a year. That was a few years ago and may not apply to today's products.
The Protect all sounds just like the Turtle Wax Ice. I may try that next. Noticed my dealer carries a full line of protect all products. What does a bottle run ya? Think I paid 6.50 for a bottle of TW Ice.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #26

I've got some cleaning and re-caulking to do before I get to wax it.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109Rrider View Post
The Protect all sounds just like the Turtle Wax Ice. I may try that next. Noticed my dealer carries a full line of protect all products. What does a bottle run ya? Think I paid 6.50 for a bottle of TW Ice.
It runs a bit more. I believe I paid $34 online for a gallon. What I really like about it, you don't have to worry about getting it on the window trim or anything else. I even did the tires with it.
I had one guy tell me he's been using it for several years inside his trailer, cabinets and all.

Years ago my brother told me about NuFinish. I used it on all my vehicles for many years with no complaints. Last year he told me about Protect All and I just got around to trying it. So far I really like it. After 2 months water still runs off the trailer like water on a ducks back!

Just thought I would add, the Protect All rubber roof treatment helps to prevent chalking, which causes black streaks.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Camper View Post
I just finished my trailer last weekend. Took me a cpl hours to do the roof and then the next day....5 hours for a good coat of wax.
And now for the Biggg Question!
How much Beer did you drink?
1970 Restored Cushman Trackster
Olratlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #29

Ok...so my question for the owners of the 5vers that have a sloped roof, is how do you stay on the roof while washing? I would have to think once you get soap down especially Murphys...that it would get pretty slick up there...12+ feet is a long way down!

2010 Rockwood 8281SS Signature Ultra Light
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 w/6.7 Cummins
bobsquarepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #30
Boondocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsquarepants View Post
Ok...so my question for the owners of the 5vers that have a sloped roof, is how do you stay on the roof while washing? I would have to think once you get soap down especially Murphys...that it would get pretty slick up there...12+ feet is a long way down!

Wash ahead of you and work your way BACK....that way you are on the drier, non soapy area of the roof.

BC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:12 PM   #31

Waxing Trailer

I prefer paste wax also. Never have used the pricier brands though. Just plain old Turtle Wax Hardshell. Do any of you worry about waxing your stickers? The front needs wax the most because of bugs but the big Rockwood lettering is there. I think I have waxed them before with no ill effects. Any comments will be appreciated.

Jack
jacksum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #32

303 Aerospace protectant

I used 303 Aerospace protectant on the front of my TT it came out shiny clean and bugs hose off and wipe away easily, I am impressed with this product so far. The first time I used it it was very streaky then I got a new clean microfiber cloth and rubbed the excess off and it shines beautifully. A bit more work than wax but it works well for me. It is a little exspensive but a little goes a long way, about 4 oz. did all 4 sides of my 24' TT. ...Now if I could just find a good RELATIVE repellent!...Happy Camping
Old 07-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #33
preacherpaul

How to stay on sloped roof? That's what old golf shoes are for.
preacherpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #34

My husband and I just got our Crusador 320RLT. I knew about waxing the sides, but I thought you were supposed to treat the rubber roof with something. Do you really wax the roof and what kind of wax do you use? Thanks for any help! We love our camper and want to keep it looking new and in good shape as long as possible.
bobbysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysue View Post
My husband and I just got our Crusador 320RLT. I knew about waxing the sides, but I thought you were supposed to treat the rubber roof with something. Do you really wax the roof and what kind of wax do you use? Thanks for any help! We love our camper and want to keep it looking new and in good shape as long as possible.
You DO NOT wax the rubber roof. A good cleaning using a mild detergent once or twice a year is all that is required. Remember to check all caulking while up there and replace/repair where ever it's needed.

However, I did use Protect All Rubber Roof Treatment and really liked the results. It contains a UV blocker and helps to reduce chalking which causes the hard to remove black streaks.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:15 PM   #36

Thanks so much! Very fast reply. I just joined this forum and am learning alot reading all the posts.
bobbysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:24 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysue View Post
Thanks so much! Very fast reply. I just joined this forum and am learning alot reading all the posts.
Good to have you here.
Lots of good people on this forum willing to help anyway they can.

Look under the FORUMS tab and scroll down and you will find a subdivision for Prime Time. Lots of good info there and RV GUY is PT management. He will help you with any questions you may have.
You can also contact PT using the contact page on their web site.
Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels
They will get back to you in a day or two.

&
Old 07-31-2011, 09:37 PM   #38

Campski65. When the relatives come over hid the beer and bring out the paste was for the TT.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #39

I sure am glad I get to park our fifth wheel inside when we get home!

I do need to give it a good wax, though, but it should last the full year. Do you think 2, 6, and 8 year olds are too young to send up the ladder to wipe the wax off?

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #40

Yikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109Rrider View Post
The Turtle Wax Ice spray bottle at the local Wal-Mart was $19.97 for a regular sized trigger bottle. It's Canada where everything is more expensive.

I bought some $5.97 a bottle stuff (neon green trigger bottle) which seems to do OK. Certainly easier than paste wax. I can do a section at a time and keep the camper looking nice and not have to haul buckets etc. This weekend camping I did the passenger side as high as I can reach. The bottom half is the dirty half anyway so perhaps this will work. When we're back in the states I'll pick up some TW Ice.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel