Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2022, 07:40 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
The surge protection circuit board is also field replaceable on the Progressive. And there is also a bypass switch on the Remote Display if the unit is inoperative. It is really hard to go wrong with either brand.

Looked all over the Progressive website and nowhere could find a replacement surge protector.

The Hughes shows one on the site and it only costs $30.
gw1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:05 PM   #62
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw1800 View Post
Looked all over the Progressive website and nowhere could find a replacement surge protector.

To get a replacement from Progressive you have to call Tech Support. I wish they would just list them on their website.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:09 PM   #63

I use a Surge Guard manufactured by Southwire. I have had one on my Class C Forrest River Solera 24MS since we purchased it in December 2012. They replaced it under warranty about 3 years ago under warranty when the plastic covering the display was illegible due to the sun clouding it. Mine is in use whenever we are plugged in 365 unless driving or dry camping. It's been used all over the USA, Canada and Alaska and primarily we like the low voltage and grounding issue protection. At home our AC main and sub panels both have surge suppression built in so that is not an issue.

We get quite a bit of lightning around here as we are less than 20 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. Utility distribution around here also has surge suppression on 138 Kv and 345 Kv high voltage and 4160 V distribution as well. In case there are folks that don't know it both Progressive Dynamics and WIFCO power converters have built in surge suppression built in. Only problem is that if the surge suppression built in is used up (you read that right MOV's eventually are used up) and you get a good surge it will take out the power converter. Not a problem if you can get one in a hurry (not easy when traveling some places) but with the EMS if its knocked out just just bypass it until you can send it back for warranty or repair (yes they do often repair them). I have installed MOV's on the 125 VDC power for 200 megawatt gas turbine units to keep them on line from lightning strikes at large electric power plants. Burned out the MOV's but kept the power plant on line. So they do work as advertised.
elob_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:20 PM   #64

Service entry panels (where the electric meter is) have a bonded neutral to ground. Sub panels are not to be bonded to neutral nor or branch circuits (most pedestals except perhaps those that have a meter, depends on how the system was installed bu the utility).
elob_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:53 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw1800 View Post

I believe Hughes will replace the first surge circuit under warrantee. However I bought the surge circuit when I bought the unit thinking I could replace it on the road and have the replacement waiting when I got home.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:23 PM   #66

I just purchased a portable Southwire model 34930. I too like the idea of plugging it in before I even back into a campsite, let it do it's thing and when it shows everything is safe we can plug in.

I was torn between the Progressive and the Southwire with the Southwire winning out due to the protection of downstream/upstream incorrect wiring problems. Supposedly this capability is a patented feature that is unique only to Southwire units. Don't know if that is product propaganda or if it's legit but we bit, nonetheless.

After 25 years of camping with 4 different campers we decided that we'd tempted fate as much as I wanted to. Hope I made the right decision. I reckon only time will tell.
Rockwood Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:15 AM   #67
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
We have been using Southwire #34903 30 AMP EMS from Techno RV since 2019. It has discovered a mis-wired pedestal at a city campground in NE in 2021 and prevented damage to our RV. This year discovered a "rattle" in the case, It was repaired / replaced for free. I think its on sale and there is also the 50 Amp version.
Congrats on getting yours repaired. Our 3 year old Southwire quit last fall. I tried to contact them to see what their pro rated warranty would do. I never got a reply.
Went with the Watchdog this Spring and am very happy with it. I had a question and they answered my email - same day. And love the bluetooth option of the watchdog.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:03 AM   #68

I ordered one of these 50Amp circuit analyzers for checking the pedestal before I even plug in my Hughes Watchdog. Very similar to the one from Progressive Industries posted earlier, but for the same money, it appears to check and warn for more power issues. $39 on Amazon and appears to include a matching surge protector, which I'll probably never use.

https://www.amazon.com/Circuit-Analy...91HW7FFM&psc=1

GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:22 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Congrats on getting yours repaired. Our 3 year old Southwire quit last fall. I tried to contact them to see what their pro rated warranty would do. I never got a reply.
Went with the Watchdog this Spring and am very happy with it. I had a question and they answered my email - same day. And love the bluetooth option of the watchdog.
Hmmm. The literature I read regarding the Southwire unit said it comes with a lifetime warranty. I didn't see anything that referenced a "pro rated" warranty. I have a month to send it back if I choose to. I will be checking closely into the warranty terms. Thanks for the heads up.

The Southwire doesn't have any blue tooth capability either, but I don't carry a "smart phone" anyway so it would be wasted on me.
Old 04-05-2022, 10:13 AM   #70

EMS choice

Seems everyone has missed a VERY important point. I'm sure both the Hughes and the Progressive perform their intended function, however, the Hughes is a China made product and the Progressive is made in the USA. No brainer!!!! I own a Progressive
Binford 5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:47 AM   #71

I have used the Progressive for years and it works well. However if I were purchasing today, I would look for a unit that transmits by Bluetooth to my iPhone. I just installed a Victron smart shunt on the battery that connects by Bluetooth and while it's not perfect (quite distance limited as Bluetooth is), it does give fast readings without getting out the multimeter and accessing the battery box. I would like to have this on the 120V side too.
Old 04-05-2022, 12:27 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binford 5k View Post
Seems everyone has missed a VERY important point. I'm sure both the Hughes and the Progressive perform their intended function, however, the Hughes is a China made product and the Progressive is made in the USA.
Wasn't the manufacturing of Progressive EMS units moved to Mexico recently. IIRC they were.
Old 04-05-2022, 12:52 PM   #73

The Huges is a good product got mine installed the other day . Really like the blue-tooth feature . Quality unit . Progressives imo are over rated and overly costly . not sure about made in usa anymore . the problem we have with china is caused by everybody who wants cheap throw away stuff . consumers and corporations trying to save a buck have cost us all dearly .
But happy with the bulldog and it's features
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 01:51 PM   #74
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binford 5k View Post
Seems everyone has missed a VERY important point. I'm sure both the Hughes and the Progressive perform their intended function, however, the Hughes is a China made product and the Progressive is made in the USA. No brainer!!!! I own a Progressive
I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum from just east of Toronto. I suggest you go to this Welcome Mat thread and say hello and then add your details about your RV, etc. to your profile.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f63/

If you have any questions, forum members will need to know what RV you have to be able to provide answers.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 03:57 PM   #75
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood Travelers View Post
Wasn't the manufacturing of Progressive EMS units moved to Mexico recently. IIRC they were.

Yes, they are now made in Mexico

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:19 PM   #76
Enjoying Life

I have the Hughes watchdog and like how it performs. It makes its checks quickly and your in business. The replaceable surge unit is a plus.The Bluetooth feature is nice.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote