Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2020, 05:17 PM   #1

Red face Which fifth wheel to double tow with?

I have a 1,600 pound boat that I tow to the lake two hours away from my house. Then, I drive two hours back to my house to retrieve my Jayco travel trailer. After a few camping trips & six hours driving to set up then six hours driving to get the boat & travel trailer home I have decided to purchase a fifth wheel, add 2" receiver to double tow with.

Tow vehicle is 2013 ram 2500 diesel

Wants:
Full profile so I can stand up next to the bed (I'm 6' tall)
North south bed for the night stands
No "dual access" bathrooms for privacy/scent concerns
Traditional rear living floorplan (Couch, dinette & theatre seating)
Less than 35' long

I walked through a Sierra half ton & while I like the bedroom & floorplan, I discovered my concerns with "dual access" bathroom. Also the unit appeared to have a 7" frame (too small for double towing???)

I walked through a Cherokee Arctic wolf & while I like the 10" frame, price & layout, I hit my head in the bedroom. Also there is only room for a 20"ish TV up in the corner in the bedroom.

I like the Salem/Wildwood Hemispheres & Heritage glens that I have walked through, but their 338Bar is an east west bed and is too long (38'6"). I also like the 290RL, however it has "dual access" to the bathroom.

I have looked at fifth wheels that come with rear receivers for double towing like the Jayco Eagle HT's & Grand Design reflections, however the ones short enough to double tow with are mid profile & have "dual access" to the bathrooms.

I don't want to spend more than $40k including taxes out the door.

So far units I like are:

Impression 28rss (8" frame)
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...ion/28RSS/3757

Wildcat 290rl (not sure on frame size)(not sold in my region)
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...cat/290RL/4288

Do you think an 8" frame is strong enough to tow my boat down the freeway?
What other brands should I look at that would fit my criteria?

Would rather buy used so I wouldn't to eat the depreciation & hopefully would have the bugs worked out.

fyi, located in the central coast Ca, most dealerships are several hour drives.

Thanks!
Desertwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
KSH

I don't believe you can double tow in CA. I would verify that first unless you already have.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #3

KSH, it is legal as long as the first trailer is fifth wheel; neither trailer exceed 28'6"; each trailer has brakes & you have a CDL A with doubles endorsement
Old 03-02-2020, 08:55 PM   #4
KSH

Good to know! I've seen it only twice, both out of state plates.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:48 PM   #5

Am I reading this right?

So, you need to find a fifth wheel that is no longer than 28'6" to comply with CA double tow? Do they make them?
Old 03-03-2020, 02:07 PM   #6

Not sure about Cal. as they have some weird laws, but elsewhere all that is needed is a recreational doubles endorsement on your drivers lic. not a cdl
justskipit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:14 PM   #7

And of course most states east of the Mississippi don't permit double towing of anything but tractor trailers and that's definitely with a CDL and only on certain highways.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:46 PM   #8

I double tow with a Puma 253FBS. It’s 27’3”. It’s kind of an entry model, but Pumas are pretty good quality and I got a great deal on it. Plus it’s very much 1/2 ton towable, for mine anyways.
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:35 PM   #9

Double Tow

IMHO - None.

I think its just too dangerous.

I believe, not 100% sure, it's not legal in California. Check the states you're going through.
capemayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertwanderer View Post
KSH, it is legal as long as the first trailer is fifth wheel; neither trailer exceed 28'6"; each trailer has brakes & you have a CDL A with doubles endorsement
You've done your homework on the legalities of towing doubles in CA. I did it for many years with a '95 Fleetwood Savanna 27-5J. The 5W was just over 28' and I pulled a 23' Cole that weighed over 3K for just the boat. Total length was just under 75' and the combined trailer weight was 14K. We shopped all over and found the Fleetwoods had the heaviest frames at the time. It was a 10" C-channel and I fabricated my own hitch.

As you're limited to 28'-6", my suggestion would be to find a 5W with the highest GVWR and a wide margin for cargo capacity which would indicate a heavier frame. That 8" frame may by fine but, if possible, check and compare the wall thicknesses.

BTW, having towed that combination for several thousand miles over many years in California, Arizona, Nevada, and Utah, I never once got pulled over.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:25 PM   #11

Just remember that laws are subject to change. I doubt that there would be any Grandfathering clause if they did.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
And of course most states east of the Mississippi don't permit double towing of anything but tractor trailers and that's definitely with a CDL and only on certain highways.
Many mid-western states allow towing "recreational doubles". Here in Michigan you need a CDL "T" or an "R" endorsement on your operators license. There are overall length restrictions and weight restrictions on the double.

2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn
2019 Palomino Solaire 202RB

"Why yes, this is my circus and these are my monkeys!"
jcr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:06 PM   #13

We pull a 30ft Rockwood 5r and a 19 ft boat. Pull them with a F350 diesel. Been a lot of places, no issues.
GmaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:04 AM   #14

To everyone that mentioned the CDL requirement in CA to tow doubles, you are right, and I currently have a class A license but have yet to add my doubles endorsement, however when/if I buy a fifth wheel for the purpose of double towing I will add that endorsement.

As far as length of the fifth wheel, my initial search were for fifth wheels with ideal layouts close to 29' as I figure CHP would have a hard time eye balling a double towing rig being 6" over length on the fifth wheel.

Ever since this idea of double towing crossed my mind, I have seen countless people double towing, many, if not all, over length with their fifth wheels. The majority of these people double towing with 40'+ toy haulers. I have spoken with quite a few of these people about their length, their response being "I've never been pulled over" & "I have CDL A + doubles/triples endorsement".

After speaking with several CHP/DOT bit inspectors, their response is "most CHP aren't aware of the 28'6" length restrictions".

This has led me to my current criteria in search of a fifth wheel less than 35' (Don't want to push my luck getting pulled over) with a strong enough frame to handle my lake boat (1,600 pounds)

I realize that I am asking for a car with four different rims, but I figured if anyone knew of a fifth wheel with the layout I am searching for & a stout frame, it would be this forum.

Thanks for the replies, I do appreciate them.

Mitchell
Old 03-04-2020, 12:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo10-210 View Post
You've done your homework on the legalities of towing doubles in CA. I did it for many years with a '95 Fleetwood Savanna 27-5J. The 5W was just over 28' and I pulled a 23' Cole that weighed over 3K for just the boat. Total length was just under 75' and the combined trailer weight was 14K. We shopped all over and found the Fleetwoods had the heaviest frames at the time. It was a 10" C-channel and I fabricated my own hitch.

As you're limited to 28'-6", my suggestion would be to find a 5W with the highest GVWR and a wide margin for cargo capacity which would indicate a heavier frame. That 8" frame may by fine but, if possible, check and compare the wall thicknesses.

BTW, having towed that combination for several thousand miles over many years in California, Arizona, Nevada, and Utah, I never once got pulled over.

The impression 28rss appears to have a GVWR just over 10k + pin weight with an 8" frame

The wildcat 290rl appears to have a GVWR of just over 11,500 + pin weight (not sure on frame size but appears to be re-skinned impression, 8" frame???)

The impression 28rss appears to have a GVWR just over 10k + pin weight with an 8" frame

The wildcat 290rl appears to have a GVWR of just over 11,500 + pin weight (not sure on frame size but appears to be re-skinned impression, 8" frame???)

I've noticed that heartland uses 8" frames our their Milestone fitfh wheels which have GVWRs of 15k (not sure on wall thickness)

Also, Jayco Eagle Ht's are rated to tow 3,500 pounds & I believe they use 8" frames, once again, not sure of their wall thickness. Same can be said about grand design reflections (may be wrong)....

Any input is appreciated

Mitchell
Old 03-04-2020, 08:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
I don't believe you can double tow in CA. I would verify that first unless you already have.
You can IF the first trailer is a 5er.

If the first it a bumper pull, NO second trailer.

We have a 2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL that we purchased used at a dealer. It has a 2" hitch receiver which I believe to have been factory installed, but it could have been installed by the previous owner.

I tow a boat that weighs about #1200 with no problems.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:49 PM   #17

several of the wildcats came with the 2 inch recevier on them,
our had one

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #18
Befuddled wanderer

Have you checked out the Rockwood UltraLights? I really have no idea if the frame is built in such a way that you could tow your boat behind, but I think you could find one that meets the rest of your requirements.

Perhaps this one? https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...te/2441WS/4384

Oops.. guess all the Rockwoods have the pass-through bathroom... But it's a tall pass-through bathroom!

I purchased a 2891BH model last summer and I know the bed area is tall enough to allow a 6' person to stand. I'm 6'9" and can't stand straight up, but it's pretty close.

2020 Rockwood Ultra Light 2891 BH
1996 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 8.0L V10

"Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice"
cc102bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:36 PM   #19

cc102bob, I really like the rockwoods with the exception of the dual access to the bathrooms. I have also read some troubling things about their frames when it comes to double towing on similar forums however they were second hand accounts to begin with, but enough to scare me. Poster mentioned not to try and double tow with any unit that classifies itself as an ultralight which made sense to me.

Mitchell
Old 03-04-2020, 09:53 PM   #20
Befuddled wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertwanderer View Post
cc102bob, I really like the rockwoods with the exception of the dual access to the bathrooms. I have also read some troubling things about their frames when it comes to double towing on similar forums however they were second hand accounts to begin with, but enough to scare me. Poster mentioned not to try and double tow with any unit that classifies itself as an ultralight which made sense to me.

Mitchell
My unit (and I'm guessing most Rockwood units) has the whole underbelly covered so that you can't see the frame. I've not had a reason to remove it and inspect things, so I have no idea just how beefy it is. I do know that some of the light weight comes from extensive use of aluminum and generally lighter weight materials, but I suppose they could also be skimping a bit on the frame.
Edit: I should say you can't see anything inside the main rails... You can actually see the main rails, but I'm thinking the inner structure would also be important.

As for the dual entrance bathroom, you could always cover up the door that faces the bed and use that whole wall for a huge screen tv...

I've toyed with the idea of towing my fishing boat behind, but my wife and I decided it worked out better to just take two vehicles. That way we have my Pilot to drive around in while on vacation and my big ol' heavy duty gas guzzling truck can just sit. She has learned that she can pull the boat OK, but she still doesn't have any interest in trying to drive the truck and trailer. heheheheh.

Bob

2020 Rockwood Ultra Light 2891 BH
1996 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 8.0L V10

"Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice"
cc102bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel