Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #1

Which New Park Model Trailer?

Hello All,

Yes I am new to this forum and have found it very informative. I have been camping some 35ish years now (since I was a kid) on and off from tents to travel trailers to motor homes but have never owned one (except tent lol). Recently, past two years the family (12 and 4yr old boys and a girl on the way)has gotten into camping again but as a seasonal camper with a trailer we inherited at a camp ground in Northeast Ohio. We are looking at new Park Model Trailers for next season since we are enjoying it so much and the current one is old, which of the following in your opinions has the best quality and the least amount of issues and bang for your buck. The site has water, sewer, and electric hookups.

1. 2008 Forest River, Cherokee, 39BS or 39DB. Nice quality. I like the king bed but might be willing to give it up depending on floor plan and extra’s like additional toilet. Don’t know though since there is a shower and bathroom house 150 yards from site. I like the big and small bunks would prefer them to be both big. http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...hoice=brochure

2. 2008 Palomino, Puma, 39PTBSS. I love the quality of this trailer also but was looking for bunks that were bigger. Also, the kitchen appliances (stove, refrigerator, and microwave) were awesome. http://www.palominorv.com/palomino/s...uct&model=puma

3. 2008 Gulf Stream Coach, Kingsport, 400 2-B. Three slides on this one, bigger bunks and extra toilet. However, the quality doesn’t seam to be as nice as the other two above. http://www.gulfstreamrvtrailers.com/...ort/index.htm#

Just like everyone else I wish I could combine feature from all three of these. Also, wish somebody had a website like Edmund’s for new and used cars but for Trailers. Sorry for the lengthy post for my first one on this site. All suggestions are welcome and if there is another trailer you think I should look at please mention it. Thanks in advance for all replies.

~Wags
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:40 AM   #2

to FRF!!

I'm no help with park models but someone 'round here should be.

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
RAC

Welcom to the forum. NDJollyMon is one of the "experts" on PT's.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #4

Thanks for the welcomes.

Want to make sure I said this properly in my first post it is more of a trailer than one of the ones that look like a mobile home and cost alot.

~Wags
Old 09-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Welcome Wags!
I'm not familar with your choices, but I can offer helpful advice in the Park Model area...

I looked at 3-5 different lines when I was looking for a seasonal Park Trailer.
Price, and type (shingled models) kept us from those...as I didn't want to spend upwards of 50K for a trailer.

I walked through the Keystone Hornet Retreats, the new Jayco Park Models, and the Salem PT's. You can get a feel by looking over a trailer what it's quality is pretty quickly.

IMO, the Hornet's just seemed a little to 'lightweight' and fit & finish were not up to my standards. Many things were broken/falling apart right on the dealers lot. I ruled them out when I saw the others. (also...I had a Keystone trailer before...and the initial build quality wasn't exceptional. It was a great trailer after things were fixed right, however)

The Jayco's were all sold, were a little higher in price, and I didn't LOVE the floorplans. These trailers appeared to have a nice quality to them. Ruled out because I thought SALEM was equal to quality, better on price, and available.

There are several different Forest River SALEM PT (park) models. The view at our seasonal site is mainly to the front...and we wanted to be able to see it. View to the rear is forest. I like our models set up because our bedroom is in rear...where it's quieter, and further away from the road. If you look at my avatar or picture gallery...you will see there are windows completely surrounding the forward section of the trailer. Very cool. My wife and I spend more time in the trailer alone...than with company. Our selection sacrificed the extra privacy of another bedroom for the large living area to sit, congregate, or simply people watch. It's like being in a house rather than a confining trailer...if you know what I mean. Size really didn't matter as much...simply because all Park Models were very large...and I don't plan to tow it anywhere. The bathroom in our Keystone was....TINY! We wanted a big bathroom in this one...and we got it. It's a walk-through (not my favorite...but certainly the biggest!) that extends the entire width (8.5 ft) of the trailer.

Most Important to us:
Quality build
Price
Floorplan/view/bathroom size
Convenience*

By this* I mean...our model has no tanks. No gray, no black, no fresh tanks. No tanks, equals no weekend tank dumping/maintenance! No chemicals, flushing, STINK, inaccurate gauges, short showers, or time wasted, etc. This is a HUGE plus for me! What a great convenience for seasonal folks!

Whatever model you choose...see if your dealer is willing to take the tanks out and run direct plumbing with a residential toilet...if that's important to you as well. Ours came this way...but they said they removed tanks all the time...seasonal folks requested it often.

Our favorite things about trading for this park model...
Direct plumbing!
Additional space!
Real Lazy Boy Recliners, and a dining set instead of booth.
2 queen beds (queen sofa sleeper)
Residential stove, fridge with ice maker, and toilet!
HUGE living area.
WINDOWS EVERYWHERE!

With the purchase of this unit...we spend MUCH more time at the lake! It's just plain nice and comfortable.

Any other questions...just fire away!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #6

GREAT post Jolly. I never thought about removing the tanks and direct plumbing the grey and black and using a residential toilet. Alot less maintanance with the chemicals and all for sure. I wonder though do you get any smell through any of the other drains or do they all have traps including the shower? I've never looked to see if the shower had a trap.

Thanks again.

~Wags
Old 09-20-2007, 11:09 PM   #7
The Jolly Mon

Every drain has a trap, including the shower... and a stack vent through the roof for each. No smell whatsoever. Just like home...only there's a high volume fan in the trailer bathroom!

There is another SALEM PT like mine in our campground. He has same unit, only his is one year older. He has tanks, and camper style toilet. He was SOOOOOOO Jealous when he saw my setup!

Then he came to tell me he had some mice move in...and he proceeded to show me how they were getting in through the slide seal. He stuck his fingers under the seal on my SALEM and it had a beefed up double seal!

Good luck!

Old 09-21-2007, 07:59 AM   #8
RAC

Open the flush drain with the fan on sometime Jolly, I think you'll see there is a smell.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
The Jolly Mon

The trap is always full of water. There is no smell (from the plumbing anyway! )with the fan on. It's designed like a residential bathroom.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #10
RAC

Ahhh I see...other guy's would smell though, that fan has some suction!
Old 09-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredArmyCWO View Post
Ahhh I see...other guy's would smell though, that fan has some suction!
Jolly has a residential toilet that's why his don't stank.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:26 PM   #12
RAC

Still, we are talking about Jolly, so the Jury's still out on that!
Old 09-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredArmyCWO View Post
Still, we are talking about Jolly, so the Jury's still out on that!
true
Old 09-21-2007, 04:45 PM   #14

Welcome I think you would be very happy with the Cherrokee They are a great camper My wife and I have had ours for 2 seasons now We have a 30f 30 ft long with a front kitchen We are camped at a seasonal site also and love it good luck
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:56 AM   #15

I personally looked at all three choices you linked to:

I like the fireplace in the Cherokee.
(I own a Cherokee Grey Wolf 26BH TT myself)

The Puma has washer and dryer included or only hook ups for?
Those could be an asset.

The Kingsport - When I saw the layout, it is like something
does'nt flow right. (Could be the fact of the two bathrooms)
No pun intended. But do you need two bathrooms??

Nina

P.S. Don't ask me why I used the spankbottom smilie. It just seemed
to fit the occasion! Kind of like cant' you be more in control so as
to not need two bathrooms. I NEED TO STOP WHILE I'M AHEAD!
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:22 AM   #16

Thanks, again for the replies. I am still swaying towards the Cherokee. The extra toilet would only be nice for the kids but not a big deal. I did notice that Cherokee does have a unit with two toilets Park Model 39DB.

http://newrvs.net/cherokee_floorplans.html

After talking with the better half she finally committed to her order of preferences and number one is a decent size room for the kids with at least one bigger bunk but two if possible. Then decent size main room followed by King bed if possible but no smaller than a queen. Needless to say two toilets is not in the top five! I do like the fireplace in the 39BS but that's not a big deal either. Guess I might have to flip a coin!

~Wags