Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2022, 08:23 PM   #101

Tent, pop up, TT

My wife and I started with a tent, kids came along and got a 2004 Jayco Qwest 10x pop up. Two years ago, took pop up to Traverse City Michigan, and I forgot to unlatch a roof latch while popping up. Broke the lift. Didn’t use again. Found a FR Wildwood 26DBUD, and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT, and can’t wait to go camping after school let’s out in June… we got it because of the bunk room in the rear…. and anticipating grandkids (not in the foreseeable future, but eventually) and want to take the them camping.
Coastiehockeyref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:05 AM   #102

Pop-ups and hybrids are too hot, too cold and too loud.
I have gone back to a travel trailer.
I still tent camp, but only in the outback away from other people.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 07:46 PM   #103
dm6

This all really sucks because I was just starting to think about this right before the pandemic. I bought a nice new truck and everything to prepare to get a trailer within the next couple of years, but I guess I will have to push that back a little longer. No way can I justify spending 20, 30, or 40% more than what they were a couple years ago, especially if the craftsmanship is worse. At least we can still enjoy camping in the popup for a little longer, even if it looks funny pulling it with a big HD truck!
dm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:15 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm6 View Post
This all really sucks because I was just starting to think about this right before the pandemic. I bought a nice new truck and everything to prepare to get a trailer within the next couple of years, but I guess I will have to push that back a little longer. No way can I justify spending 20, 30, or 40% more than what they were a couple years ago, especially if the craftsmanship is worse. At least we can still enjoy camping in the popup for a little longer, even if it looks funny pulling it with a big HD truck!
I would wait awhile as to see if the pandemic recedes. Hopefully, the demand for RV may get back to normal and they won't be pumping them out and should maybe? have time to build better. Pay up to 40% more is just the biggest ripoff, poor quality, and they have cheapened some so much. Maybe a lot of gently used RV will be available as hopefully crowded campgrounds, work to get ready, constant things to fix will discourage some to sell their rigs and go to Disneyland instead.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:06 PM   #105

I am waiting for people to "sell their rigs and go to Disneyland instead."

Now is the right time to sell everything. The right time to buy is still a year or more out.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:07 PM   #106

Tent - PUP - TT

We started with this for 2 yrs when the kids were 4yrs & 3yrs old:

Sleeping on the ground lost it's *fun* rather quickly...

Then went to the 1998 Jayco PUP for 16yrs

Camp setup was approx. 1hr (i.e. open bunk ends; setup beds; unpack food cooler into fridge(s); roll down awning, fasten awning poles...etc etc)

This year we're into the 2018 Flagstaff Microlite DS:

I'll let you know the end result come this June 24th weekend as it will be our (DW & me) maiden voyage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download (1).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	269841   Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	269842  
cunninham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:21 PM   #107

I think that this is a a familiar journey for many of us. Growing up me, my dad and brothers would camp in tents every year and we were just happy to be outside. My mom wasn’t into it but my dad somehow always tolerated the noise and comfort and the work that make it happen. He used to say he could sleep anywhere and it was better than sleeping in the jungle (Vietnam). Tent camped and did 2 day canoe trips every year through college.

Had my first son and in order to keep that up we needed some amenities to encourage mom and grandma to go as a family. Dad and I went halves and bought a used Coleman with a slide out and toilet (cartridge) and canopy. I remember feeling like “this is living large” and smiling when you heard rain or thunder instead of dreading a wet and sleepless night. Did a lot in that pop-up.

Wife was pregnant with my second son and we needed more room. We almost always camped with my parents (wife’s a saint) so we got a used 2005 Jayco 25E Hybrid. Storage, space, less to pack up, warmer, quieter. What more could you want!

Three years ago mom and dad bought a 28ft trailer and just this year sold our hybrid and we bought a 36 foot Vibe 28BH! There is always. Ore to want and one day we may need less but the kids are big, want to bring friends and we got a lot of things I could never imagine having 20 years ago camping in a tent.
Yingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 11:16 AM   #108

Recently we did a road trip to Las Vegas from near Carson City, a day's drive. We stayed in a hotel as a change of pace. It was a nice place and cost more than I am used to paying. But it just reminded me that I would much rather be in a campground somewhere. Not in an RV park, not in a motel, in a campground. In the summer boondocking.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:02 PM   #109

I'll throw my 10 cents in (inflation, ya know). We started 40 years ago or so in a tent, and camped that way until about 3 years ago. Moved up to a 16 year old popup that needed a lot of work, but was a lot of fun. Didn't cost much either. I live in East Texas. We spent 2 weeks in Big Bend NP (A/C really couldn't keep up), and we've taken it on an epic trip to Great Smoky Mountains NP, Mammoth Cave NP, and Arches NP, plus a ton of SPs in between. Great trip. We just bought a 2014 Roo 21SS, and first trip is this coming weekend. We generally go with my daughter, SIL, and two grandkids (11 and 8). We love camping together, and each summer plan a 3 week or so trip to hit as many NPs as possible. I fully expect the hybrid to be a major step up, what with a bathroom and shower and all. Wife got tired of the 5-gal bucket with a toilet seat at night. So, it seems we're on the standard progression and who knows, I might be telling you all about my TT or 5er in 3 or 4 years.
artwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 05:23 AM   #110

Started with a 2000 Coleman Utah pop up. We really enjoyed that camper. Moved to a 2007 Surveyor hybrid. Really enjoyed that one also until we got tired of the bunks. Bought a 2019 couples TT in 2018 and Really enjoy it.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:39 AM   #111

I started with a starcraft 10 ft move up to a 2019 26 rbws Flagstaff .this is going to be my last one. had two others trailers besides the pop-up. my dad back in the early 70s bought a tent trailer from catalog and it was delivered by ups truck. no title had to go to aaa to get it register..nothing in it but 2 slide out beds
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:46 AM   #112

I too started with the kids in tents. Ground, heat and cold didn’t matter. Getting older and with the kids leaving home, we went to a Jayco pop up. As I am crawling under to brace up the beds, a friend asked if I plan to do that as I age. Started looking for a hard side that trip! Now, we are embarking on our first fiver! Went with Cedar Creek 311RL. Here we go.
montereydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:54 AM   #113
New RVer - 2104S

We have almost the identical history! Tents w younger kids. Pop up (but only for a few years) then we took about 15 years off. Now with our empty nest, we also bought the mini lite for just the two of us and loved it this summer. Getting braver at towing again…slowly! I hope you enjoyed yours as well. Almost time to winterize for first time��
Gracie526 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer