Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2020, 09:55 PM   #41

I'll throw my two cents in here just because I like to be a PITA, I bought my new Honda EU2200i Companion because it replaced a Honda generator I gave last year to a storm victim. The Honda I gave away was only 38 years old the day I handed it over and it ran flawlessly and had never been repaired, only maintained. Asking about which generator is better or worse is the same thing as asking which motor oil is better. Go buy what you think meets your needs and budget, who cares what anybody else thinks, it's your money.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:15 PM   #42
Retired Old Fart

I bought a pair of Honda EU2000i's back in either 2000 or 2001 when we had our first trailer. I dry camped almost every time. I looked at the EU3000i, but my logic was I can lift the 2000's individually even with a full gas tank but the 3000i not so much (and that was when I was healthy). Back then the parallel kit was pricey, but there were a bunch of folks who make their own, so I did. Sold the trailer but kept those generators. Still using them today.

I don't know how much different they are from the current models, but mine put out 4,000 watts in parallel for 30 seconds, and 3,200 watts continuous all day long. I could run the AC on a single EU2000, but I don't (and that is in the heat of the south in July). Basically with both in parallel I have more power available than my main breaker will allow so it is just like 100% shore power. I get 10-11 hours out of the on board gas tanks in parallel and in parallel they stay in eco mode 99% of the time except when the AC or microwave start up. Also they are the quietest generators I've seen. The EU1000 is a little quieter, but not enough power for my uses. You can stand right next to the pair even when not in eco mode and carry on a normal conversation. Inside the trailer I can't hear them when in eco mode. They are that quiet.

I know Honda's are expensive, but they are high quality and although mine are pushing 20 years old, if maintained they run like a quality sewing machine all day long. Parts are easy to find and not super expensive, and they are easy to work on. I don't have experience with the other inverter model generators that are clones of the Honda's but I for one will say a Honda is a rock solid unit and mine have never given me a lick of trouble.

Even when we did not have a travel trailer, I kept the generators. We get occasional ice storms in the South and I can use one to keep the gas furnace running along with the fridge in the basement, and the other keeps the kitchen fridge and garage freezer running with power left over for the TV and satellite so we have something to watch waiting on the power to come back on. In the summer and hurricane season I have a portable AC so I can do the above and keep the room we are in very comfortable in warm/hot weather if the power goes out in a big storm or hurricane. Basically if the GA Power app says it is going to be more than 4 hours before our power is back on, I'm firing up the Honda's.

When we first moved into our current house in 1998, we lost power for 4 days that next winter. Lost all the food in the fidges/freezer. Tossing that food out cost me more than both the Honda generators. So think beyond the trailer when thinking about generators. I did not have them that year and bought a construction generator right after tossing all that food. After I bought the Honda's for the trailer, I don't think I have used the construction generator since except to exercise the engine every so often. It's a 6550 watt unit and loud enough to wake the dead in the next county.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:48 PM   #43

Ok,ok I’ll chime in. I have a Champion 4000/3500 open frame generator.
What I hate about it:
1. Kinda loud. It’s actually quieter with the exhaust pointing at you then the recoil starter end. It’s engine noise not exhaust noise.
2. Heavier than I want. At a little over 100 pounds, I struggled to lift it into the truck myself after my surgery where my whole front was cut open.
The way i solved the second problem was a wheel kit and a ramp to get it in the truck or on the rack in the back of the camper.
If I were to buy another generator, without any doubt at all it would be a Champion. The tech support and customer service is the best.
Something to consider is the Champion Inverter Digital Hybrid. It weighs like 88 pounds. My SIL has one, it’s considerably quieter than mine,I would say no louder than a Honda 2000 at full power. Like others have posted, the “tone” of the noise matters as much as the dB number. The tone is much better on my SILs unit also. Good luck with your choice. Jay
New TV 2020 2500HD gas.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:27 PM   #44

I hate contractor generators. I had a sportsman 3500w dual fuel generator. I never used it past break-in because it was so loud. I bought it for the house for power outages. They are simply too loud and too heavy.

I also really hate refuelling in the middle of the night. Propane solves this for me by going 14+hrs on a 20lb tank but even longer on a 30lb tank. DW MUST have her AC.

There. I answered the question.

Love my champion 3400w dual fuel and my yamaha 2000w. The yamaha is for when we don't need AC.

If you have trouble lifting heavy generators but find yourself in need of one for financial reasons try this.
https://www.harborfreight.com/Pickup...EaAv45EALw_wcB

You can buy one 3000+w $600-1100 100lb generator and a $90 crane rather than two $1100 2000w generators. That is what I did because I could not bring myself to buy another yamaha that only ran on gas and may have issues at altitude.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:53 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
?............

If you have trouble lifting heavy generators but find yourself in need of one for financial reasons try this.
https://www.harborfreight.com/Pickup...EaAv45EALw_wcB

You can buy one 3000+w $600-1100 100lb generator and a $90 crane rather than two $1100 2000w generators. That is what I did because I could not bring myself to buy another yamaha that only ran on gas and may have issues at altitude.
I saw a similar “crane” setup at a Nascar race. Guy had a Honda 7000, about 250 pounds. He backed his truck to where he wanted the generator placed, hooked up the hoist, swung the generator out and lowered it exactly to the desired location.

The hoist was homemade and used a handcrank from a boat trailer. Owner was well into his 70s so no way he could have unloaded manually.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:44 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
HE CAN'T LIFT IT! That's why we buy 2 smaller ones. Jeez.
Not recommending just said I do not hate it ... WOW!!! all comments are not just for the OP ... clearly others read these threads and my benefit from other responses
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:40 PM   #47

Love my harbor freight 3500 inverter.
Jim Legoullon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #48
FLY4FUN

Generator

As more and more nifty (and, lighter/higher wattage) inverter generators appear on the market, opinions on the absolute best will also multiply. That's good...and, gives more info. for making decisions. That said, take a look at the Etrailer 3200 "remote start" & read reviews...seems "almost" light enough to handle and sufficient power for most missions. While it's manufactured for them by another well known company, their's seems well priced & of good quality/reputation. Again, just another thought to the mix. (I do love my "old" Honda 2000i, incidentally ).
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #49
FLY4FUN

Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Legoullon View Post
Love my harbor freight 3500 inverter.
We b'dock at several major aviation events with large campgrounds and the overwhelming majority of generators seen are the HF 3500...seem to do the job for all sizes of RVs and quieter running than most. Owners (and, neighbors!) really seem to love them. A good one at a great price, for sure!
Old 01-21-2020, 06:49 PM   #50

Never owned one I hated....probably because I did a years worth of homework 🌝 Personally I wouldn’t buy anything other than Yamaha or Honda. Was planning to buy a Honda 3000 but a customer of mine had an end of season deal on a Yamaha I couldn’t refuse. Five years old.... we do lots of boondocking. Quiet, dependable and so far all I’ve done is change the oil once a year and replace the air filter once. The only thing I would do differently is add remote start.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:48 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14apex View Post
We b'dock at several major aviation events with large campgrounds and the overwhelming majority of generators seen are the HF 3500...seem to do the job for all sizes of RVs and quieter running than most. Owners (and, neighbors!) really seem to love them. A good one at a great price, for sure!
We are dragging our Mini Lite to WI in July (getting married on 8/8/2020 in Door County). I am hoping to catch a day or two of Osh on the way in. Any tips? (Never been). We are thinking Apple Creek, as we probably can only do a couple of nights and most places near Osh are week minimum.
john221us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:46 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
HE CAN'T LIFT IT! That's why we buy 2 smaller ones. Jeez.
I don't lift mine either, it has wheels on it.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:42 PM   #53
FLY4FUN

Airventure/osh camping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by john221us View Post
We are dragging our Mini Lite to WI in July (getting married on 8/8/2020 in Door County). I am hoping to catch a day or two of Osh on the way in. Any tips? (Never been). We are thinking Apple Creek, as we probably can only do a couple of nights and most places near Osh are week minimum.
I probably can't help much -- Apple Creek may be a good bet...probably good to reserve early if possible, in any event. That said, you may want to "chance" zipping right into the Fly-In campground -- even though it's normally loaded, there's usually a way to "squeeze" in among what'll be a few thousand of your new closest friends (!). A number of attendee/campers do come early and leave early, too, so spaces do open up. AirVenture does still refund camp fees if you have to leave before the end (...unlike Sun-N-Fun ). Congrats on the upcoming marriage & have a fun trip!! (My beautiful bride & I have been camping & aviating for 51+ years now & having a ball -- may your lives be filled with the joys we've been blessed with!)
Old 01-27-2020, 09:45 PM   #54
Vietnam Veteran

Love my Preditor 3500. Quiet and never had a issue.
Littlebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #55
Back On The Go

Probably just me but when I had the 2 Hondas tied together, trying to have the gasoline container tied to them was a PITA. On the device that I purchased, the gaskets deteriorated quickly and became useless for providing enough fuel so the gens wouldn't have enough gasoline to last through the night on hot summer nights when A/C was badly needed (desired?). Find a genset with enough fuel capacity to last as long as you need for your camping habits.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:57 AM   #56

Definitely just you.
I've had the same 6 gallon extended run tank for almost 14 years, set up to run either one or both generators. I have had to change the fuel tubing and shutoff valves over the years, but that is to be expected. Running one generator at a time on eco mode I use about 7 gallons a week of normal usage. Running both to use the a/c I will almost triple that. Definitely will run over 24 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salwolfe View Post
Probably just me but when I had the 2 Hondas tied together, trying to have the gasoline container tied to them was a PITA. On the device that I purchased, the gaskets deteriorated quickly and became useless for providing enough fuel so the gens wouldn't have enough gasoline to last through the night on hot summer nights when A/C was badly needed (desired?). Find a genset with enough fuel capacity to last as long as you need for your camping habits.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170307_094448.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	223359
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #57

Champion Electric Start

I bought a Champion Electric Start model off Amazon that was 3600W running to operate the 30A TT we have. It was so heavy I quickly abandoned the idea of taking it anywhere. I switched to 2 Westinghouse i2200 that I also got from Amazon, used, that have been great. Definitely go with an inverter gen, much quieter, fuel efficient, useful but that Honda better serve coffee and eggs each morning for how much they ask for it. Gold standard indeed.

Tags
generator