Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2021, 09:17 PM   #41

I went with the Küat Racks Transfer V2. Had to relocate the spare though.

Adrien
adrienbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:05 PM   #42

Not to be smart, but if you're not maxed on weight or space why not carry the bikes in the TT? We have a Roo 23SS and have loaded 3 bikes inside for trips from OH to NC and SC. Just throw some old bed sheets on the fixtures and load carefully. Bikes usually stay put and don't ding things up. Adds maybe 150# to my load.
jaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:19 PM   #43

Options.

I use a 1UP on my Forester 2401W. Thousands of miles with 2 and 4 bike set up with no issues. I have also looked at Alta racks. Another good option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	48C618BD-645D-43C0-BB52-72F2E8CB3A52.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	253514  
jwb747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:14 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcramer View Post
My surveyor came with a bike/cargo rack on the back. It is a pain loading the bikes so that they don't rub against each other and the trailer. So, I looked for an "RV Rated" rack that I could mount to a receiver that welds to the frame just forward of the bumper. But if you look at the fine print on "RV Rated" bike racks, they are NOT rated for travel trailers. This information is so well hidden that it is almost a secret. I wanted to know if this lack of a "rating" was a real engineering issue or just a bunch of lawyers making rules. It turns out it is a real engineering problem. I received the following explanation from a major bike rack manufacturer:

"None of our racks are rated to work on a travel trailers.

"Travel trailers (including towed vehicles and fifth wheels) have a slight side to side motion that's very low frequency (1 to 1-1/2 times per second) that fatigues the steel from which the racks are manufactured. The fatigue first happens at a molecular level, but eventually (several thousands of cycles later) a visible crack will appear. Once the crack has formed, it will enlarge, finally to the point where the rack drops off the vehicle and the rack (and bikes) impact the roadway. This is also a dangerous situation for whoever may be following the trailer on the highway. We have seen 100+ incidents where the consumers/end user has not taken this advice and suffered disastrous results. We've even had phone calls from consumers who said they read that advice (do not use on a trailer) and ignored it, only to discover a tragic end result. So, please don't do it.

"For travel trailers the only potential solution is to have a rack mounted on the front of your tow vehicle. This would require you have receiver hitch installed on the front (kind of like what you see on city buses). By mounting the rack on front, you will not be subject to the same side to side motion that fatigues the steel and be able to safely mount a rack. Be sure to have a 2” class 3 or above hitch installed."

I am considering putting cross straps on the rack to limit side-to-side motion and metal fatigue (and keep the bikes and rack attached to the trailer if it fails). Suggestions are welcome.

I partially fabricated my own using a 500 lb rated cargo carrier. Also fabricated my own mount for a hitch receiver using I Beam and 1/4 wall thickness square tubing. I eliminated every possible point of play to reduce bounce and side to side motion. It will be used for 2 ebike and 2 standard bikes
E.Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:22 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxn View Post
Not to be smart, but if you're not maxed on weight or space why not carry the bikes in the TT? We have a Roo 23SS and have loaded 3 bikes inside for trips from OH to NC and SC. Just throw some old bed sheets on the fixtures and load carefully. Bikes usually stay put and don't ding things up. Adds maybe 150# to my load.
That seemed to be the only option I have, but it would be nice to be able to have them on the exterior so if I pull off the road for a break or overnighter I don't have maneuver around bikes. Not to mention the potential for dinging things up trying to get the bikes inside.
Irene D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:23 AM   #46

There’s the option of installing an A-frame mount at the front of the TT. Stromber, Swagman and others make lifted racks designed for that.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:44 AM   #47

Arvika bike racks for travel trailers

Quality Bike Racks for your RV | ARVIKA

http://www.arvika.ca/en/wp-content/u...-gallery/1.JPG
Tad C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:12 AM   #48

I have struggled for a long time with the best way to carry multiple bikes. I never considered the rear mount as I thought it always looked to flimsy to support the weight. I liked the raised mounts on the front over the propane tanks but these solutions are expensive and mounting 4 bikes is not straight forward. The best solution I found was the use of a tailgate pad on the truck. This enables me to safely and securely mount the 4 bikes I need without interfering with the trailer. I have carried as many as 5 without an issue while towing the trailer. The only main drawback is that I lose the ability to utilize my backup camera. I attached a link to the one I use, there are many options. This will not work for 5th wheels.

https://www.amazon.com/Demon-Tailgat...-search&sr=8-6
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.png
Views:	90
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	253530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture2.png
Views:	74
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	253531  
nanobattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:19 AM   #49

I have used one of these on my Fifth Wheel-
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Ladder-...0141305&sr=8-2
It worked fine for one bike, (mountain style bike). It claims to be set up for two bikes, but I would be concerned about the strength of the ladder given the weight. Possible super light racing bikes, but heavier mountain bikes would be a pretty big load. Forget Ebikes. The other issue is it's a pain to put the bike on it. You have to lift the bike pretty high as the mount holds the center portion of the frame. Works, but not very user friendly for an old guy.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:36 AM   #50

Here is what my bike rack says;

“The E-SPEC is a hitch mounted platform rack that is RV Approved and designed especially to carry heavier ebikes. It can be used on RVs and Motorhomes (with the provided RV bolt) as well as cars and trucks.”
Old 05-04-2021, 11:21 AM   #51

Can someone provides details regarding who provides "RV Approval" ?
pete100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:36 AM   #52

I, too, have a Surveyor travel trailer that has probably the same bike/cargo rack on the rear that yours has. We had the same issue; bikes beat against each other knocking the tires out of alignment, and scratching the frames.

I resolved this by taking two of the old swagman roof racks we had used years ago and physically attaching them to the Surveyor bike rack. I had to drill a few holes, and buy a few screws, but, made it work, and it keeps the bikes upright and away from each other.

https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Uprig...146052&sr=8-18

Hope whatever you try works for you.
ChipheadRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:55 AM   #53

Bike rack failure

About eight years ago, we had a Thule bike rack meant for a receiver on the back of a hybrid trailer. When we arrived at our site and I was helping to back it in, I noticed something different! The two bikes and the entire rack were gone. All I could think of was that I hoped it didn't happen on the busy interstate; luckily I remember seeing it at the border crossing. We called the local police and later that evening they called back saying they found them on the side of the road a few miles from the park. I can attest to the vibration and rack failure first hand.
kszac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:00 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanobattman View Post
I have struggled for a long time with the best way to carry multiple bikes. I never considered the rear mount as I thought it always looked to flimsy to support the weight. I liked the raised mounts on the front over the propane tanks but these solutions are expensive and mounting 4 bikes is not straight forward. The best solution I found was the use of a tailgate pad on the truck. This enables me to safely and securely mount the 4 bikes I need without interfering with the trailer. I have carried as many as 5 without an issue while towing the trailer. The only main drawback is that I lose the ability to utilize my backup camera. I attached a link to the one I use, there are many options. This will not work for 5th wheels.

https://www.amazon.com/Demon-Tailgat...-search&sr=8-6

Thanks for sharing this.We just got some e-bikes and you can't use regular racks. Someone mentioned this may be a solution. Glad to hear they work for you.
kszac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #55

I used this one:

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...8aAilxEALw_wcB

but I added an eye bolt at the top of the vertical bar and run a ratchet strap to each corner of the rear bumper, keeps it from rocking back and forth.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:33 PM   #56

HI

I have a 2019 Forest River Wolf Pup 18TO with a 20x60 cargo tray on the back. I took a different approach using a Yakima Raptor (round bar model) and a Swagman Upright to hold my two bikes- Both units fold flat so I can travel with the cargo tray up. The spare tire is on the opposite side (underside of the cargo tray when down) but it and the two bikes do not exceed the 200 lb weight rating of the cargo tray. The arrangement survived a 4000 mile cross country trip in 2019 with no issues and another 1000-2000 miles since. I found the Swagman Upright not very strong and the bike would sway side to side so last year, I beefed it up by attaching a bike shop bike holder to the back of my trailer to hold one bike by the top tube (Swagman rack). Unfortunately, no other rack arrangement would work for me including the one used in the pix when I designed it 2 years ago. I did look at a bike bunk arrangement from Stromberg Carlson but that would have required me to raise the bikes over my head, something that is difficult for me to do. I didn’t have at that time the tools to do a modification like what was done here.

A concern I have with the arrangement in the pix is the strength of the bracket holding the center post. I suspect the material may be too thin to be strong enough to withstand fatigue when bikes move forward and backward due to trailer acceleration/deacceleration and motion over bumps in the road. This was the problem with the Swagman Upright-the bracket holding the arms to the base was too thin.

Jim
jchristo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:29 PM   #57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete100 View Post
Can someone provides details regarding who provides "RV Approval" ?
The particular rack manufacturer does because of potential warranty claims. That's why only a few racks has the particular manufacturer's approval for RV usage.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:03 AM   #58

Use etrailer to find one for the back of our toad. They have the search setup so you can find those that are “approved” for specific applications. Trailer was very good to work with as well as far as questions etc.

We ended up with a Yakima rack for our two bikes.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:02 PM   #59

Bike rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcramer View Post
My surveyor came with a bike/cargo rack on the back. It is a pain loading the bikes so that they don't rub against each other and the trailer. So, I looked for an "RV Rated" rack that I could mount to a receiver that welds to the frame just forward of the bumper. But if you look at the fine print on "RV Rated" bike racks, they are NOT rated for travel trailers. This information is so well hidden that it is almost a secret. I wanted to know if this lack of a "rating" was a real engineering issue or just a bunch of lawyers making rules. It turns out it is a real engineering problem. I received the following explanation from a major bike rack manufacturer:

"None of our racks are rated to work on a travel trailers.

"Travel trailers (including towed vehicles and fifth wheels) have a slight side to side motion that's very low frequency (1 to 1-1/2 times per second) that fatigues the steel from which the racks are manufactured. The fatigue first happens at a molecular level, but eventually (several thousands of cycles later) a visible crack will appear. Once the crack has formed, it will enlarge, finally to the point where the rack drops off the vehicle and the rack (and bikes) impact the roadway. This is also a dangerous situation for whoever may be following the trailer on the highway. We have seen 100+ incidents where the consumers/end user has not taken this advice and suffered disastrous results. We've even had phone calls from consumers who said they read that advice (do not use on a trailer) and ignored it, only to discover a tragic end result. So, please don't do it.

"For travel trailers the only potential solution is to have a rack mounted on the front of your tow vehicle. This would require you have receiver hitch installed on the front (kind of like what you see on city buses). By mounting the rack on front, you will not be subject to the same side to side motion that fatigues the steel and be able to safely mount a rack. Be sure to have a 2” class 3 or above hitch installed."

I am considering putting cross straps on the rack to limit side-to-side motion and metal fatigue (and keep the bikes and rack attached to the trailer if it fails). Suggestions are welcome.
Surprised that your dealer didn't tell you the the rear bumper are not for bike rack. I have a new Surveyor and the dealer was going through the walk around and told me the bumper are not for bike rack. I am lucking to have my small RV dealer in Holland, Ohio. My other dealer with the other camper I had, had several damage at the back of the camper from the bike. No matter how much I secure the bike, it still put dent to the back of the camper. That dealer was a big national out fit and never will deal with them again.
Stevevermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:56 AM   #60

I just picked up a Yakima Longhaul for my TT. It is RV and Travel Trailer approved, and is rated for 4 bikes 35lb each.

Tags
bike, bike rack, trailer, travel, travel trailer