Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #1

Winterizing inlet purpose?

So got a quick question about the antifreeze inlet purpose. On my 2018 8295ws, when I winterized it last fall, it worked fine. However it also ended up putting the antifreeze into the water filter housing. I didn't have a filter in it but it got me wondering. If they are connected (and they are near the pump inlet) why have two? Couldn't you just bring the TV stuff through the regular city water connection? Or did the back flow happen because there was no filter in it?

Either way it worked fine and this spring I am happy to report no leaks. Next weekend is camping!!!!

If your best was good enough today........
It won't be tomorrow.
Feldhege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:22 AM   #2

The city water connection will not lift to the pump. The filter housing is on the high pressure side. I put a filled water bottle in the filter housing to cut down on the amount of antifreeze that it takes.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #3

the city water connection usually has a valve to control where the water goes. in normal mode the incoming water has water pressure from the faucet you connect to. this water pressure is used to push the water through your internal plumbing. your water pump is not used for this. and in the normal position the incoming water does not go into your fresh water tank. if you move the valve to the fill position the incoming water, again using the faucet water pressure, will be directed to fill the tank. once you have water in your fresh water tank you can use your pump to add pressure to have it flow throughout your internal plumbing. thus you can get water into your plumbing either by using the city water connection with the valve set to normal, or from the tank by using the pump. there is a winterizing valve that changes the suction input for the pump between the fresh water tank and the winterizing input hose. you do not want to put antifreeze into the fresh water tank. so change the winterizing valve to winterize and let the pump suck in the antifreeze using the winterizing input hose. now you could put in antifreeze through the city water connection if you have the valve in the city water position. but you would need an external pump to pressurize the antifreeze in order to push it through your plumbing. using the winterize valve setting and the winterize pick up hosed allows you to do this using your internal pump.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldhege View Post
So got a quick question about the antifreeze inlet purpose. On my 2018 8295ws, when I winterized it last fall, it worked fine. However it also ended up putting the antifreeze into the water filter housing. I didn't have a filter in it but it got me wondering. If they are connected (and they are near the pump inlet) why have two? Couldn't you just bring the TV stuff through the regular city water connection? Or did the back flow happen because there was no filter in it?

Either way it worked fine and this spring I am happy to report no leaks. Next weekend is camping!!!!
There is no back flow. The built in water filter is plumbed as a whole house filter and all fresh water, either from the pump (holding tank/antifreeze inlet etc.) or shore (city water) passes through the filter for distribution to faucets/toilet/water heater etc..
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
There is no back flow. The built in water filter is plumbed as a whole house filter and all fresh water, either from the pump (holding tank/antifreeze inlet etc.) or shore (city water) passes through the filter for distribution to faucets/toilet/water heater etc..
But then how did the antifreeze end up in there? Does the antifreeze inlet come through there too?

It won't be tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
But then how did the antifreeze end up in there? Does the antifreeze inlet come through there too?
The antifreeze was brought into the system by the water pump.

You should have a valve that selects either the fresh tank or the antifreeze (winterization) connection. Depending on the valve's position, the pump will draw from either the fresh tank or the antifreeze port.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbing_01.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	172106  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winterizing inlet purpose?

Quote:

Correct, the antifreeze travels:

1) Inlet
2) antifreeze/FW tank selector
3) onboard filter housing
4) rest of plumbing

On our Flagstaff, I got a couple of PEX valves, a couple of PEX Ts and some tubing and built a bypass around it.

Edit: adding photo
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9390.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	172125
Old 05-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The antifreeze was brought into the system by the water pump.

You should have a valve that selects either the fresh tank or the antifreeze (winterization) connection. Depending on the valve's position, the pump will draw from either the fresh tank or the antifreeze port.
Where's the filter in this scenario?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Where's the filter in this scenario?
Mine is inside the passthrough compartment. Near the inlets on the outside.

It won't be tomorrow.

Tags
winter