Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2021, 04:21 AM   #1
Defender of America

10 Year Point?

Been surfing the campground reviews looking for new adventures. Notice an oddity (to me) about reservations. Some campgrounds won't give you a spot if your rig is over 10 years old.
I can understand not wanting someone to "bring a POS" into their little slice of heaven on earth. And I can appreciate the level of upkeep needed to maintain the appearance. But is there something distinct about the 10 year mark? Should I be expecting my TT to fall around that time?

Just trying to be prepared.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:14 AM   #2

Our resort has a 10 year rule too but if you send them a photo with the reservation, they will allow it. I think they just don't want any "Partridge Family" RV's in the park.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:39 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Been surfing the campground reviews looking for new adventures. Notice an oddity (to me) about reservations. Some campgrounds won't give you a spot if your rig is over 10 years old.

I can understand not wanting someone to "bring a POS" into their little slice of heaven on earth. And I can appreciate the level of upkeep needed to maintain the appearance. But is there something distinct about the 10 year mark? Should I be expecting my TT to fall around that time?

Just trying to be prepared.
The 10 year rule has been around for years. It's not a new thing.
But some places use their discretion and if it's older but in good shape, they MAY give you a pass.
It's becoming more and more common in the past few years
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:04 AM   #4
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The 10 year rule has been around for years. It's not a new thing.
But some places use their discretion and if it's older but in good shape, they MAY give you a pass.
It's becoming more and more common in the past few years
I'm okay with the rule given it's their campground and they get to make their rules. But was trying to find the significance of the 10 year point. Why not 8 or 15? Or any other time-frame. Is it just an arbitrary number that has become acceptable?
Centerline TS WDH
Old 09-16-2021, 06:36 AM   #5

I think the 10 years is just a random number to keep the Breaking Bad and Cousin Eddie type of rigs out. I have no intention of replacing my camper every 10 years, but keep it looking new. I haven’t run into the 10 year rule any place we’ve stayed, but understand that some will give you a pass if you send them a picture when making reservations.

As an aside, there are plenty of vintage RVs I’d rather camp near than some of the newer rigs that aren’t cared for!
Old 09-16-2021, 07:26 AM   #6
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
...there are plenty of vintage RVs I’d rather camp near than some of the newer rigs that aren’t cared for!
Thanks. I can certainly agree with you on this point.

In my head; I thought if a vehicle was road worthy I assumed it to be at least moderately cared for the safety of the inhabitants. But I have no solid basis for that conclusion.
Centerline TS WDH
Old 09-16-2021, 08:48 AM   #7
D W

I've heard a lot of discussion concerning this "10 Year Rule", but in over 40 years of camping, including YT, BC and the lower 48, I've never come across a CG with this rule. I imagine somewhere there are some Hoity-Toity so called RV Resorts that have this rule and charge you $100+/day for a country club stay. Not really my idea of camping. How did it come to be the "10 Year Rule"? Who knows, probably figured it sounds like good round number. I know of no places in AK with this rule. Half of the RV's in AK are over 10 years old.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:35 AM   #8
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I know of no places in AK with this rule. Half of the RV's in AK are over 10 years old.
Thanks for the feedback.

I'd like to think that I'll keep my TT for over 10 years; given I bought it brand new, it wasn't exactly cheap to get, I'd classify myself as fairly handy, it's perfect for me and the Mrs and one dog, and I really like it.
Centerline TS WDH
Old 09-16-2021, 09:38 AM   #9
Defender of America

Heck my motorcycle is already 17 years old and I'm not planning on getting rid of that anytime soon.
Centerline TS WDH
Old 09-16-2021, 10:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Heck my motorcycle is already 17 years old and I'm not planning on getting rid of that anytime soon.
In 2017 I sold my 1995 Terry trailer. Looked every bit as good as the new trailers I looked at to replace it. 22 years old and I never had an issue with ANY RV park my late wife and I wanted to stay in.

Funny how regular maintenance (like washing, waxing, and repairing any of the normal dings and dents) can keep an RV looking good.

I think that if people looked into the "10 year rule" they'll find it had it's beginnings back when there was no regulation of RV construction and many had severe issues with electrical and propane systems. In my state alone the Dept of Labor and Industries, which oversees safety code administration in our state, now requires one of their certification stickers on each new RV sold in the state. Mine has two, one from RVIA and the other from WA Dept of L&I. The "rule" is more likely today being used to keep "Skoolies" and "mobile hippie shacks" out.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:32 AM   #11
Defender of America

Thanks TitanMike.

I'm a firm believer that this kind of stuff gets started because of a single incident. In this "litigation happy world", it's easier to have rules out in the open you don't need to enforce than to create one on the fly to deal with an "infrequent incident".

Can't tell you how many times I've had to have someone move a vehicle and their reply being - "It doesn't say no parking".
Centerline TS WDH
Old 09-16-2021, 06:21 PM   #12
Open Space Wanted

Only Snobs Need Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Our resort has a 10 year rule too but if you send them a photo with the reservation, they will allow it. I think they just don't want any "Partridge Family" RV's in the park.
Rusty

So much for inclusion. Glad I don't partake in parking lot campgrounds.

RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:34 PM   #13

Quote:
But is there something distinct about the 10 year mark? Should I be expecting my TT to fall around that time?
It's an arbitrary rule. Probably put into effect by someone who didn't want to do the math to impose an ie. '12 year rule'.
Rv's don't fall apart at 10 years unless routine maintenance hasn't been done. Of course, that can happen after only a couple of years if the rig has not been taken care of. (Water is not your friend when it comes to long life.)
Old 09-16-2021, 06:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverComeOver View Post
So much for inclusion. Glad I don't partake in parking lot campgrounds.
I second that all the way!!!

When I see a campground (very rarely since I’m not searching for those kind) that has rules like this then I know they are probably a “Snooty” (Hint…. Way too many rules) campground and not one that I would even dare want to stay at.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:27 PM   #15
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Rusty
Sadly, that bus was purchased as a prop and then junked after the show was cancelled. If that bus was around today it would probably fetch close to $1 million. Nobody was thinking nostalgia back then.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
In 2017 I sold my 1995 Terry trailer. Looked every bit as good as the new trailers I looked at to replace it. 22 years old and I never had an issue with ANY RV park my late wife and I wanted to stay in.

Funny how regular maintenance (like washing, waxing, and repairing any of the normal dings and dents) can keep an RV looking good.

I think that if people looked into the "10 year rule" they'll find it had it's beginnings back when there was no regulation of RV construction and many had severe issues with electrical and propane systems. In my state alone the Dept of Labor and Industries, which oversees safety code administration in our state, now requires one of their certification stickers on each new RV sold in the state. Mine has two, one from RVIA and the other from WA Dept of L&I. The "rule" is more likely today being used to keep "Skoolies" and "mobile hippie shacks" out.
The rules don’t work in west coast states. Heck, one can even set up camp most anywhere.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:54 AM   #17
Defender of America

Just to run my own thread off course - what would actually be considered wrong with the Partridge bus (other than age) that would cause it to not be admitted? Can't remember if they lived it on tour or just used it to get to and from venues.
Centerline TS WDH
Old 09-17-2021, 08:38 PM   #18
Open Space Wanted

Class Conflict?

Quote:
Just to run my own thread off course - what would actually be considered wrong with the Partridge bus (other than age) that would cause it to not be admitted? Can't remember if they lived it on tour or just used it to get to and from venues.
Probably not visually appealing with the gentry. They couldn't possibly endure looking at such monstrosities after paying $100/day for their piece of the parking lot?

Just a WAG.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:00 PM   #19

No need to get upset about the 10 year rule. We have stayed at plenty of RV parks that have that rule. Some are fancy resorts and some are run of the mill parks.
Some require you send a picture when making reservations and some inspect at arrival.
We have owned an RV that old and travel with folks with older RVs. Our current RV is that old now.
I have never been turned away or known of anyone turned away. Parks use that rule to have some control over their level of clientele.
If you take care of your RV at all, you will not have a problem.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:51 PM   #20

Our "other" TT is a 31-foot 1985 Airstream Excella. It's funny how Airstreams are never
discriminated against by these 10-year rule parks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	262961  
Old Forester is offline   Reply With Quote