Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2020, 02:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I have never had this happen, but wow, if I was asked to supply photos of my RV when making reservations, I would in turn ask them for photos of their restrooms, campsite pads, picnic tables, roads, etc. No facilities over 10 years old for me, no sir.

I did encounter a weird campground in Tennessee that was set up as just one road with sites on either side. All the camp sites appeared to be the same size. On one side of the road were river side sites. If you had a class A or fifth wheel RV, you were allowed to camp on either the river side or the opposite side. If you had a class C or a travel trailer, you were not allowed on the river side, but rather had to camp on the other side of the road. That’s RV discrimination. I don’t plan on going back there.
Maybe the had someone back into the river with a trailer once when trying to get truck far enough off road that they didn't have to unhitch.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:13 PM   #22

My 2010 is just reaching this mile mark for some campgrounds. Mine still looks nice. The graphics are still bright and shiny. I figure since it looks like this, every year I have a birthdays, my trailer has a reverse birthday, as far as registrations go. It’s a little white lie, but my rig looks better than 1/2 of the rigs in the campground.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:29 PM   #23
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
I'll have to remember to make sure I tell them it's less than 10 years old. Better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.
Paint "10 years old" on your roof.

When asked, you can honestly say, "It is under 10 years old."
Old 07-20-2020, 07:08 PM   #24
code.org

Pony Express RV Resort has a "10 year rule". When I made a reservation they inquired as to the year of my RV. When I asked why they replied that if it was more than 10 years old I could not stay there.

The storage lot where I store my RV also has a 10 year rule. They will not allow storage if your RV is more than 10 years old. When I asked what happens when my RV turns 11, they replied that I could continue storage as long as it was kept in good shape.
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:27 PM   #25

Been camping since 1985 and never have ran into the 10 year rule.

I could care less what my neighbors camper looks like . Personally I would rather have a run down camper next to me the a 300,000 motorhome .

Sorry.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:10 AM   #26

So if one lives in a park full time do they have to replace their home once it reaches 10 years old? What about the TV ?
Old RVs matter.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
So if one lives in a park full time do they have to replace their home once it reaches 10 years old? What about the TV ?
Old RVs matter.
Jfkmk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestWalker View Post
Paint "10 years old" on your roof.

When asked, you can honestly say, "It is under 10 years old."

I like it
Old 07-21-2020, 12:54 PM   #29

After retiring I worked at the private campground we were seasonal at. We only had the 10 year rule for seasonal sites, never for overnight sites. We did bend the 10 year rule a few times, like for an 11 year old camper that looked 2 years old. As a seasonal once you were in you were good to go but had to keep your camper clean, roof washed, site maintained, etc.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:48 PM   #30

I have a friend who owned a "high class" park on the columbia river. She had a rule on age of RV. She invited us up to visit on year and i saw her sign, but didnt mention a word that my tt was 2 years past the prime. So they do exist but i think few and far between. She has since sold the resort so maybe they removed the rule.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:20 AM   #31

Through all these years traveling in an RV we have been to only one RV Park that has a 10 year rule. That park is a high end RV Resort and golf community in Deer Park, WA. When I made the reservation they asked about the age of our RV. I told them it was (at the time) 4 years old but was in as new condition. It was a very nice place and the perfect solution for serious RVers who are also serious about there golf. There were many homes along the fairways as well as many long term RVs. Of course northern WA is not golf country in the winter.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:01 PM   #32

10 year old RV

Quote:
I have never had this happen, but wow, if I was asked to supply photos of my RV when making reservations, I would in turn ask them for photos of their restrooms, campsite pads, picnic tables, roads, etc. No facilities over 10 years old for me, no sir.
I wish my husband had thought to say this....he travels for his work and stays at campgrounds as much as 7 mos. He gets asked the age and model etc of our RV and it is only 2 years old so not a problem. But he has been in campgrounds that are beautiful and some that lack a lot! The most recent one that asked these questions were kind of rude. He gets there and the place is a joke. This is the place he should of asked for pictures from them 🤣
GAgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
X2. But, it’s really sad that a lot of people are still paying for them at 10 years of age.

Yeah it’s sad but a lot of people are not as fortunate as others and I hope I’m not the only one paying for a 75000$ 2020 silver back just can’t come up with that monthly payment yeah I know I didn’t have to spend that much but to each his own by golly that’s the one I wanted and that’s the one I got lol and not a minute disappointed not one issue with it so far,
Jobaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:06 PM   #34

“Weird Tennessee Campground”

Quote:

I did encounter a weird campground in Tennessee that was set up as just one road with sites on either side. All the camp sites appeared to be the same size. On one side of the road were river side sites. If you had a class A or fifth wheel RV, you were allowed to camp on either the river side or the opposite side. If you had a class C or a travel trailer, you were not allowed on the river side, but rather had to camp on the other side of the road. That’s RV discrimination. I don’t plan on going back there.
I’m in that very same campground as I read this thread! We have a TT so we’re on the non-riverfront side and its a little galling to sit here looking at an empty riverfront site across the road. The only explanation I can think of is that the road is one-way and the sites are all at a 45 degree angle to the road, making it very difficult to back a TT into the riverfront sites. But that doesn’t explain why they don’t allow Class-Cs over there. Apart from the discrimination it’s a pretty nice park.
OldRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:26 PM   #35

I've seen that in some campground's rules.

I cannot remember where it was - I did not care because my RV was not nearly that old, so I did not pay much attention. The same time it appeared quite strange for me. To make it clear I should add that it was not for seasonal stay. Because during last last 3 years combined we spent around 6+ months on the road, but did not stay in campgrounds more than 15-20 nights and only once in RV park this does not bother us much.
1984 Catalina 36 hull 268 (sailboat)
2017 Coachmen Freelander Micro 20CB
Ford Transit 350 HD cutaway chassis.
C36hull268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:34 PM   #36

I got a better story. We will be staying this coming winter at a resort which is truly a "resort" but the state, location and name of resort shall remain nameless to protect the innocent. They have a 10 year rule and also do background checks (I'm not kidding) on new seasonals. We wished to stay there this winter so we complied. They are strict but do not want riff raff on their property.

I know some will say move on but we like this area and it's close to relatives and amenities.

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:39 PM   #37

It's actually very common out here where we get a lot of snowbirds. It is what it is.
It's only enforced if your RV is not maintained and unsightly, has an a/c bungied to the window or a tarp over the roof
If the rule bothers you, then move on, but your selection out here, especially for a seasonal slot, will definitely be limited.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Has anyone here ever been denied a stay at a park because their RV is over 10 years old?

Again, only those who have been denied a stay themselves.

LOL...everything except for what he asked for.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:42 PM   #39

we've traveled over 107,000 miles in 6 years and at many, many, many campgrounds and rv parks and rv resorts and campground resorts and private parks and public parks, almost anywhere you can imagine, including state and national and regional parks, and have seen many of them with these 'rules', but honestly, I've NEVER had anyone come and 'verify' the age of my RV, or even look out the window at it, and have never had anyone come out and MEASURE my RV, or anything... I really don't think the argument holds up that campgrounds or rv parks are prejudiced, it's simply a management decision in order to 'preserve' their right to turn away those that they think obviously don't 'measure up' to the overall expectations of the park. Any private business has that right, and certainly any 'government' business, a campground included, has that right, too.

Just as we RVrs have 'expectation' of what we think we should 'receive' when we pay to stay somewhere, whether an rv park, campground, or hotel, 'they' also have an expectation of what we should 'do' while we are there, on their property, under their business risk, etc. There are plenty of 'rv resorts' that are restricted to Class A 45' only motorcoaches, and there are plenty of campgrounds that are also only for 'tents'... it goes both ways.
It's easy to see this argument one-sided sometimes, but the rv park and campground have their 'side', as well.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:37 PM   #40

10 year rule

We were trying to book a site in Reno for 3 weeks this summer. this was back before the virus. At that time we had a 1999 Jamboree. We could not find any place that would take it regardless of condition. It was in good shape and they wouldn't even consider it. I think if it was 10 years you had to send pictures and the could turn you away if they didn't like it.
Duffy and Paula is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pictures