Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2019, 04:08 PM   #1
Always Learning

ABQ Balloon Fiesta Reservation Fiasco / aka, I was on TV

The story was originally about the Fiesta selling out in under 10 minutes. Which is all fine and dandy. But the bigger issue that I have is that they listed and accepted reservations for the VIP North spots for $40 and then 36 hours later sent an email saying, "hey, we messed up- you owe us $100/night (aka- over double) or we'll cancel your reservation."

Not even a, "we'll figure out how to fit you into our actual $40/night spots". Just pay up or go away.

I've got a long post on this on my Learn to RV page, but I'll share the news spot that I was interviewed for:

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-ball...33799/?cat=500
Old 10-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #2

Good luck Doug hope something works out for you
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:00 AM   #3

We call that "bait and switch" in Louisiana and probably elsewhere. And regarding the problem at checkout, I would bet a jail house lawyer could fix that problem.
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshaynes View Post
We call that "bait and switch" in Louisiana and probably elsewhere. And regarding the problem at checkout, I would bet a jail house lawyer could fix that problem.
Do you really think that with the popularity of that fiesta a "bait & switch" tactic needs to be used?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #5

Give them a real scare. Contact the FTC. They have regulations covering things like this.

Ever go to the store, pick up a can of soup that has a shelf price of $0.75 and the clerk tries to charge you $1.50?

It was their mistake, not yours. I'd keep the pressure on them to honor the price shown on your "Confirmation". Going to the News Media was a good first step.

FWIW, as enjoyable as the event is, they may find themselves the victim of Unintended Consequence. Prices may even be too high for the more wealthy and they end up with only a few hundred RV's.

Even if I could afford $100 per night for a gravel "parking stall" as a matter of principle I would pass due to their over doubling the price.

Maybe it's time to start a letter writing campaign. Got an Address for the people that organize the event? I am not planning on going but I'd still write a letter letting them know what I think of their actions.

BTW Doug, you clean up well for TV

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:10 PM   #6

I have been reading about this. Happens all the time with internet price goof ups. And yes, they typically cancel the transaction and give your money back.

What if the mistaken price was $1 instead of $40. Would you expect them to have to honor that price as well?

As far as "bait and switch", their advertised price was $100. Was a website mistake that was charging the $40.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I have been reading about this. Happens all the time with internet price goof ups. And yes, they typically cancel the transaction and give your money back.

What if the mistaken price was $1 instead of $40. Would you expect them to have to honor that price as well?

As far as "bait and switch", their advertised price was $100. Was a website mistake that was charging the $40.

I believe the principle behind the laws requiring that a vendor honor prices in cases like this is to make sure that people are more careful in their advertising and processes. All too many times less than honest people will play games like this and claim "computer error.

Would be interested in knowing how many people were affected by this "error"? Everyone? Or just a few before they found the error?

FWIW, more than just a few times I've been on good end of a pricing error. Rather than doing as the Festival has done, cancelling reservations unless the person "pays up". They say "sorry, our mistake. Just remember that next year the price will be higher". The "Festival" should just have to wait a year to more than double their revenue.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 01:15 PM   #8

What I don't understand is that since the price didn't show up as $40 until checkout, how are people saying that they can't afford it when they went into the checkout thinking it was going to be $100/night.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/comp...ake-73117.html
Old 10-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I believe the principle behind the laws requiring that a vendor honor prices in cases like this is to make sure that people are more careful in their advertising and processes. All too many times less than honest people will play games like this and claim "computer error.

Would be interested in knowing how many people were affected by this "error"? Everyone? Or just a few before they found the error?

FWIW, more than just a few times I've been on good end of a pricing error. Rather than doing as the Festival has done, cancelling reservations unless the person "pays up". They say "sorry, our mistake. Just remember that next year the price will be higher". The "Festival" should just have to wait a year to more than double their revenue.
There you go someone throwing out "there's a law" again.
I think this is correct:

In general, there's no law that requires companies to honor an advertised price if that price is wrong. Typographical errors, miscommunication and other glitches can result in items being offered at what appear to be deep discounts – discounts that would be ruinous for the company if it were forced to honor them
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
There you go someone throwing out "there's a law" again.
I think this is correct:

In general, there's no law that requires companies to honor an advertised price if that price is wrong. Typographical errors, miscommunication and other glitches can result in items being offered at what appear to be deep discounts – discounts that would be ruinous for the company if it were forced to honor them
Agreed.

I have a vacation home that I rent on both VRBO and AirBnB. I usually set all my prices one year in advance. One year, I didn't get around to setting up my Christmas and New Years prices and somebody was able to get in there and attempt to book at my default off season price which was half of what I normally charge. I declined the booking and told them the issue. They didn't end up renting from me because they thought they had found this great bargain! Mistakes happen and the person who made a mistake shouldn't have to suffer economically for it.