Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2018, 09:49 PM   #1

Another summer 2018 trip

We are planning our trip for this summer. Itinerary as follows. Suggestions/comments appreciated.

Central Alabama to Mammoth Cave, KY
Mammoth Cave
Lincoln Birthplace
Travel to Dayton, OH (Brookings KOA)
Museum of the Air Force
Wright Brothers Trail
Travel to Cayugah NP (Streetsboro KOA)
Cayugah NP
Cayugah NP
Travel to Niagara Falls (Grand Island KOA)
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls Canada
Niagara Falls Laundry, refurb
Niagara Falls Site seeing
Travel to Hershey PA (Hershey Park Campground)
Hershey PA
Hershey PA
Drive like crazy
Drice ike crazy
return to work
2007 Ford Escape Toad-5 spd manual
Blue Ox Alpha tow bar/Blue Ox Patriot brake
BamaGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #2
Always Learning

Looks like an adventure!

We are headed to Niagara Falls in July, I think. We'll be staying at a state park on the US side in Youngstown. Four Mile Creek, I think it is. My cheapness won out. I think we are in an electric + water site without sewer. At least, I hope it has water....

I do know that a passport or passport card are needed (for everyone 16 and older) for crossing the border if you want to see the falls from the Canadian side.

Mammoth Cave is a favorite for us. I believe that you can reserve some tours ahead of time. So, if you know when you're going - you might be able to reserve. We stay at the Thousand Trails/Encore park there called Diamond Caverns Golf & RV Resort. It's no resort, but is definitely sufficient for our needs.

The Hershey Park Campground is decent. I have never stayed but drove through there a couple of years ago. There are a few fun, free and less expensive things to do in the area. OR, you can spend a ridiculous amount of money and let the wife spend some time and money at the Hershey Spa!

The drive from PA to AL isn't terrible. We've done that a couple of times. We stayed at Ft. Chiswell on the way down and then Two Rivers RV Park (I think that's the name, near Pigeon Forge) on the way back up.

When abouts do you kick this all off?
Old 05-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Looks like an adventure!

We are headed to Niagara Falls in July, I think. We'll be staying at a state park on the US side in Youngstown. Four Mile Creek, I think it is. My cheapness won out. I think we are in an electric + water site without sewer. At least, I hope it has water....

I do know that a passport or passport card are needed (for everyone 16 and older) for crossing the border if you want to see the falls from the Canadian side.

Mammoth Cave is a favorite for us. I believe that you can reserve some tours ahead of time. So, if you know when you're going - you might be able to reserve. We stay at the Thousand Trails/Encore park there called Diamond Caverns Golf & RV Resort. It's no resort, but is definitely sufficient for our needs.

The Hershey Park Campground is decent. I have never stayed but drove through there a couple of years ago. There are a few fun, free and less expensive things to do in the area. OR, you can spend a ridiculous amount of money and let the wife spend some time and money at the Hershey Spa!

The drive from PA to AL isn't terrible. We've done that a couple of times. We stayed at Ft. Chiswell on the way down and then Two Rivers RV Park (I think that's the name, near Pigeon Forge) on the way back up.

When abouts do you kick this all off?
We were at 4 mile Creek state park in 2015. Liked it alot but we had electric only. I didn't think there are any water hookups but there are a few spigots about. We were in site 65. It was very convenient place to stay to see Niagara falls.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
We were at 4 mile Creek state park in 2015. Liked it alot but we had electric only. I didn't think there are any water hookups but there are a few spigots about. We were in site 65. It was very convenient place to stay to see Niagara falls.
You won't find many water/electric sites at state parks in New York. Pipes freezing would probably be the reason. They do have water spigots to fill your fresh water tank.

We ran into a couple who had traveled from Louisiana and were planning to visit the Canadian side of the falls without a passport. They thought we were joking when we told them they needed a passport. Finally convinced them to get a second opinion from the camp hosts before they went to the border.

Have a great trip. Beautiful country.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:26 PM   #5

We were there last summer. IMO...staying on the Candian side (ontario, niagra falls koa)
is a better choice than the USA side. At the KOA you have a very nice campground with the bus stop across the street that will take you everywhere downtown and give you better views of the falls up close. Better downtown and amusement area as well and highly recommend the boat ride beneath the falls ...Hornblower cruise from Ontario side or Maid of the Mist from the USA side. The big wheel ferris wheel gives a good ride a view of the falls and the river. Have fun!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #6

You won't find a KOA in Brookings Ohio, it is in Brookville, OH. You might want to plan 2 full days at the AF Museum as it is too large to see everything in one day, best free museum in the US (donation's accepted). I have personally met pilots of 2 of the planes on display the B-36 and the twin Mustang. When in Dayton the best Pizza place is Marions (several locations) or for a great supper meal at reasonable cost go to Rob's Restaurant in Brookville, a very popular place OR for something different go to Skyline Chili in Englewood (where I lived for 18 years), for a good steak dinner go to the Buckhorn Tavern in Englewood. The KOA can give you directions to any of those places. Also there is no Cayugah NP, I think you mean Cuyahoga Valley NP. The Cuyahoga River goes through Cleveland to Lake Erie. The only river to ever catch on fire, not once but twice, when the steel mills polluted the river during WWII and caused Lake Erie to be a dead lake for many years. Not criticizing your spelling but if you put those places into a GPS they won't be found. Sounds like a great trip. You may want to purchase a power cord extension and extra water hose for the state parks (KY, TN, OH) many have service shared between 2 campsites, and many are electric only due to the freezing climate. They will have water fill stations for your fresh water tank. Also if you plan to cross into Canada you will need either a Passport or a certified copy of your birth certificate. A first time Passport will cost about $175 with all the add on fees. A certified birth certificate will cost around $25 depending on your county of birth. I assume you are planning on 2 weeks for this trip. Sounds great, have a wonderful vacation.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:42 PM   #7

We like Four Mile Creek SP. one pretty place
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #8

Niagara Falls trip

We stayed at the Grand Isle KOA and crossed into Canada several times during our stay. There is a toll bridge across the Niagara River ($1) & then, I believe another to cross into Canada just before the border ($3.00?). No tolls returning. Grand Isle is nice - all the sites appear to be level and have all the hookups (even cable). Our site(s) - (there were two motorhomes with slide outs traveling together) were spacious - we didn’t feel squeezed in like you do in some campgrounds. There is an amusement park next door that operates through Labor Day. While in Niagara, be sure to visit Niagara on the Lake, a lovely little town (Canadian side) that has lots of shops and eateries. Our hubbies dropped me & my sister-in-law off there while they went to ride the Jet Boat on the Niagara River. Do ride the Maid of the Mist and remember, even with the ponchos provided, you WILL get wet. Still not sure why they call it “mist” - it’s a downright downpour (HA)! But fun! And see the falls at night - spectacular - & some nights they have fireworks. Many, many wineries in the area and they all have tastings - and the wine is very good. When you are at the KOA in Brookville, be sure to look at the site before you unhook - some are almost impossible to level up on- but it’s a very nice facility. You have to really watch for the entrance on this one or you’ll drive right past it. There is also a really cute old fashioned ice cream parlor in the middle of downtown Brookville. You might also want to consider taking in the Cincinnati Zoo while in the area - it’s only about an hour or so away from Dayton. Very nice zoo! Have fun - it’s a great trip!
Old 05-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrad View Post
We are planning our trip for this summer. Itinerary as follows. Suggestions/comments appreciated.

Mammoth Cave
Lincoln Birthplace
Museum of the Air Force
Wright Brothers Trail
Cayugah NP
Cayugah NP
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls Canada
Hershey PA
Hershey PA
Drive like crazy
Drice ike crazy
return to work
Killer itinerary. I think we would have be totally retired and then have four to six weeks for such an ambitious undertaking

Have fun
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:55 PM   #10

Don't forget the butterfly dome on the canadian side if you have time. The Niagra river gorge farther be low the falls are awesome too.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:33 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ambitious schedule. I've been wanting to do some of these kinds of itineraries, just a matter of convincing the DW about it. I'm breaking the ice this year by doing our first 1-night stop (Streetsboro KOA) on the way to somewhere else (Hershey PA - Elizabeth KOA).

For your itinerary, got a question about this 'refurb' you've got here:

Quote:
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls Canada
Do you intend to refurbish your supplies, stock up on groceries, etc? If so, make sure you're aware of what you're allowed to bring back to the US by checking out the CBP's site the relevant links from that site to the USDA:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...--general-food

Also note that similar restrictions apply to bringing food into Canada, though different, so you'll want to check both lists:

What Can I Bring Into Canada in Terms Of Food, Plant, Animal and Related Products? - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

I don't want to sway your decisions, just want to make sure you're informed about the various regulations. I'd hate to see you drop a couple $100 on groceries only to have 1/2 of them confiscated when you go back home.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:47 AM   #12

Kaadk, when will you be in the Hershey area?
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:01 AM   #13

Quote:

Mammoth Cave
Lincoln Birthplace
Museum of the Air Force
Wright Brothers Trail
Cayugah NP
Cayugah NP
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls Canada
Hershey PA
Hershey PA
Drive like crazy
Drice ike crazy
return to work
The Air Force museum is amazing. At least one full day.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:27 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Kaadk, when will you be in the Hershey area?
Early July, gotta wait for the kids to get out of school.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #15

Just a head's up, if you plan on staying at Mammoth Caves State Park, it's all primitive campsites (we've checked). We live about 30 mins from Mammoth Caves, great area. You could stay at Singing Hills Campground. They're a few miles outside of Mammoth Caves and not far from other fun places. The owners are nice, and it's a quiet campground.
ImTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Early July, gotta wait for the kids to get out of school.
Bummer we will be in Indiana at Holiday World then off to Branson, thought if plans went well we could meet up. Have a great time in Hershey
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #17

If you are going clear over to Hersey PA, you might as well go a little more east to Gettysburg. What a historical area!
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:34 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The Brookville KOA is nice. They have some new "premium" sites that have a nice stamped patio and a Weber grill. I live about 20 minutes away and camp there a couple times a year. The AF museum can be done in a day, but it's a full day if you see everything and take your time at exhibits. Company 7 BBQ in Englewood (about 10min from koa) has great BBQ. Many national (7'-8') trophies on display. Downtown Tipp City has a bunch of quaint shops and some good places to eat. Several good breweries in the area also.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #19

Thanks all for the great replies and suggestions.

ependy - We head out the last of June. Should be at Niagara Falls over July 4th. I will look up those stops for the drive back.

booboo - apologies for the spelling. Need to sip less and pay attention

kaadk - we will refurb on the US side. Plan to just take the toad into Canada. It will be the families first trip over so i want to keep it simple. Leaving RV in NY.

We have done two similar trips out west.
2015: South Dakota, Badlands, Devils Tower, Yellowstone, etc, then drive like crazy
2016: Amarillo, Gallup, Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon, Southern Utah NPs, up to Dinosaur, around to RMNP, then drive like crazy

The drive between stops will not be as far for the Northeast trip although I am worried about traffic.

For 2017: Demanded a break in the driving. Spent 14 nights at Fort Wilderness

For 2019 I am thinking Key West, DW is saying Glacier.
2007 Ford Escape Toad-5 spd manual
Blue Ox Alpha tow bar/Blue Ox Patriot brake
BamaGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:31 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, so if I’m reading your itinerary right, we’ll just miss each other in Hershey. Looks like you’ll be there the week after us.