Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #1

Be Carefull Out There!

Last week on our way north on the 395 just South of Carson City NV there was an accident just a few minutes in front of us. Apparantly the yellow rental truck was swerving all over the road, crossed the centre line and side swiped a silver tow vehicle with a fifth wheel. The cab of the rental continued straight into the fifth wheel with such force that the fifth wheel became detached. The debris was spread over 100yards. A white pickup also became involved and two young girls swerved off the road into a ditch. The driver of the rental was killed on impact, the driver of the Silver TV was airlifted, but I think and hope is not too serious, the others treated for minor injuries and shock.

It is awfull to see this situation, one minute we have not a care in the world, on holiday, then devastation. About 15 minutes before this accident I pulled over to fiddle with the GPS which was playing up, I'm glad I did! I was not sure if I should post this, but then it has made me step up my awareness quite a few notches!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Accident 5th whhel resized.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	7166

Name:	TrafficAccident b resized.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	7167

Name:	Traffic Accident e resized.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	7168

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #2

As you were cussing the GPS for acting up, your life was being spared (possibly).

It's things like this that make us step back and count our blessings. That time you are upset something is making you late, may be the time you are being spared from a horrible accident.

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #3

OH MAN. Thank goodness you weren't involved. Sure is a wake up call for all of us on the road though. (Followed by the ever present Canadian eh!)
Old 08-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by old guys View Post
OH MAN. Thank goodness you weren't involved. Sure is a wake up call for all of us on the road though. (Followed by the ever present Canadian eh!)
I have come to realise, (after 36 accident free years), there is still no place for complacency, eh!

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to theanglins
Oh yes we are all lucky. Towing our rig can be a trickie ordeal.. The wind !!!!!! need i say more....
theanglins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
Lottery Non-Winner

I always fear such a thing happening. Perhaps I'm just gloomy, but perhaps I'm always prepared. You never know. You just never know.
Thanks for sharing that stark reminder.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #7

So sad...on the topic of GPS however CNN had a news bit yesterday about the fact that there have been some major "sun flares" in the last week. These sun flares disrupt GPS quite a bit and they are warning travelers not to depend 100 percent on your gps for the next week or so. Check a map as well.... And if your GPS seams wrong... It may be.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywendolyn View Post
So sad...on the topic of GPS however CNN had a news bit yesterday about the fact that there have been some major "sun flares" in the last week. These sun flares disrupt GPS quite a bit and they are warning travelers not to depend 100 percent on your gps for the next week or so. Check a map as well.... And if your GPS seams wrong... It may be.

This issue will be on and off for quite a few years. We are in the beginning of an 11 year solar cycle. 11 to 17.5 years ago the average person didn't rely so much on RF (radio frequency devices) as we do now. The solar storms/ flares that are beginning thier cycle may have some very interesting effects on us all. Take the obvious examples: GPS, WiFi, Mobile phone service, public service radio systems. Then there are the ones you don't think of such as: your toll pass you stick on the windshield, satellite communications (not just direct to you, but communication system infrastructure), the internet, just to name a few. Remember how it "used to be"? Don't forget, we MAY have to recall it!

There are many views on what COULD happen, but we will just have to see. So don't get so mad at you mobile phone provider when the service is bad, take a look at the solar index/ flux for the day, and you might find it is just a natural issue.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote