Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2019, 03:22 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
Wilson, NC, check out Parker's BBQ for some very genuine, no frills eastern Carolina style whole hog BBQ and fried chicken. Hush puppies are great too. Only about 10 to 15 minutes off of 95, easy access for trailers and large rigs. Sunday afternoon can be busy with the after church crowd but the service is lightning quick and quite a throwback with the paper hats and white aprons. I always make it a point to get there on any 95 trip through NC. Also, check out whirligig park nearby for some fun pictures.

I think Parker’s BBQ went out of business recently, sorry to see them go. The very best BBQ in eastern North Carolina is Skylight Inn in Ayden NC. The BBQ is still cooked with oak wood over hot coals. None Better, the line is mostly out the door, chopped with you looking. Now BBQ is mostly cooked with propane but not the Skylight Inn.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I think Parker’s BBQ went out of business recently, sorry to see them go. The very best BBQ in eastern North Carolina is Skylight Inn in Ayden NC. The BBQ is still cooked with oak wood over hot coals. None Better, the line is mostly out the door, chopped with you looking. Now BBQ is mostly cooked with propane but not the Skylight Inn.
I mean, if by recently you mean the last few weeks, then I am shocked, to say the least. We were there barely a month ago, when those pictures were taken. I sincerely hope you are mistaken. There are (were) a few other Parker's but the one in Wilson is the one I consider the "real" one.

That being said, I will certainly look forward to trying Skylight Inn.

-Jeremy
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:46 PM   #43

I found this, looks like Bills in Wilson closed but Parker's was still open according to this article from ~ 1 month ago.

https://www.newsobserver.com/living/...224674545.html

Slow afternoon, had some fun googling.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:17 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrodoh View Post
I found this, looks like Bills in Wilson closed but Parker's was still open according to this article from ~ 1 month ago.

Yea I got the two confused, my bad. We have ate at both places and the best pork BBQ I have ever tasted is Skylight Inn. The pork BBQ that me and my Step Dad use to cook was the very best, it normally took 11 hours to cook the pig over red oak wood. Red oak made nice coals and the pig was dressed weight was about one hundred pounds. DW made the sauce, made the sauce a month before the pig was cooked. I wish I still had the cooker but someone got the cooker and converted the cooker to propane.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:48 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrodoh View Post

Thanks for the update, and the closing of Bill Ellis is clearly very recently as well, in fact, we stopped in the parking lot of Bill Ellis to adjust our WDH hitch after we fueled up on our way out of Parker's and I recalled hearing of it and was impressed by the size of the property and the amount of trucks and trailers they had. This would have been only a week or two before they closed, and at that point I had put it on my mental "to do" list. Guess we missed the boat on that one. Sad to see institutions like that go but I guess sometimes they really need that driving force behind them and once it's a rudderless ship they get lost at sea.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:46 PM   #46
Wait till next year...

Morses' Saurkraut Farm and European deli in Waldoboro ME has a great deli and wonderful tiny restaurant.Pierogies are just the start of a delicious menu Morse's Sauerkraut & European Deli
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	morse.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	196891  
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:05 PM   #47
Retired Old Fart

"The Dog House" on Route 66 in Albuquerque, NM. Like taking a trip on the legendary Route 66, the Dog House is a must make stop. Best chili-cheese dog I've ever had. Yeah, it's a "joint" but they sling a mean wiener.....

dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:38 PM   #48

Salt Lick BBQ SW of Austin, TX in Driftwood, TX. It's so busy some weekends they have a deputy sherriff directing traffic in and out of there. Not a very good place to take an RV. There is another outside of the Round Rock Express baseball field on the East side of Round Rock, TX The one in Driftwood is the original and I think the better of the two. If we get within 100mi. we go. We also love Dobyns Dining Room at the Keeter Center. It is just South of Branson and is associated with College of the Ozarks. Try to get a reservation if not prepare for quite a wait.
GerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:30 PM   #49

Agree with GerryK - original Salt Lick is awesome - Dobyns is a fantastic Sunday brunch!
JROtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:50 PM   #50

While I'm sure The Salt Lick is great, I think it is more of a nationally known attraction than an "off the beaten path" spot. With over 650,000 people served and 25 million in revenue in a recent year they are no small potatoes.

That being said, I probably wouldn't pass it up if the line wasn't too crazy!
Old 03-02-2019, 10:47 PM   #51
Retired

Best off the beaten path food!

Fish Pond restaurant in Willis, TX great home cooked food and the price is right.
For stake, ribs, etc, the best we found in TX so far is the Longhorn Cattle Co. in San Benito.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1780.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	197991
Old 03-02-2019, 11:50 PM   #52

As a Chef, this is probably my favorite thread on this site

One of my favorites is Brown Fisheries Fish House on W M-123 in Paradise, Michigan

They go fishing every morning. If they don't catch fish, they don’t open. If they run out of fish, they close early. The whitefish on your plate was swimming in Lake Superior while you sipped your morning coffee.

They open at noon and if you are not there in the first couple hours, I'd call and see how late they think they will make it.

A couple years ago my son and I called at 1 pm and she told us they had enough fish to maybe get to 2:30. We arrived at 3:10 and they were closed and gone.

Nice ice cream stand across the street for dessert.
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #53

Dirty Al's on South Padre Island, TX (and Daddy's down the road, run by the same people) have some of the best fried fish I've ever had (next to my dads). If you're ever down that way with a bunch of people get the botana. Its a dinner tray of french fries with fish, oysters, clams, and shrimp on top - I'm getting hungary just thinking about it. In Eureka, MO (about an hour outside of St. Louis) there's a little place called Super Smoker that serves up great BBQ. It doesn't look like much but their food is great (and not very expensive either).

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #54
Catfish1953

Just got back from a business trip to Pompano Beach, FL.

Lesters Diner - Great Great Food/Service and Atmosphere!!! Cant say enough about this family Diner.

Zuccarelli's East - Again Family owned and ran Italian Food Casual atmosphere. Great garlic rolls, Super Pie by the slice or whole. Everything looked and tasted Great.

USAF Retired
3rd Herd Life Member
2019 Forrest River E-pro 19-FBS
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
catfish1953 is offline   Reply With Quote