Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2021, 09:18 PM   #1

California to Ohio and back

I'm going to Couchs RV to pick up my trailer and drive it back to California, what is the easiest route to pull a trailer while not sight seeing we are just bringing it home there will be time to sight see later. I-80 looks like the fastest but I-40 is straighter, now I will be doing this in November or December if that factors in cause I don't want to drive in snow.
RicnVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:31 PM   #2

If'n it was me I would be taking I-40 and ready to duck farther south if needed. I-80 got real nasty last year and stayed that way all winter.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:05 PM   #3

Route from Cal east

Avoid Chicago area at all costs. It's a nightmare.
Ohinaz1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:24 PM   #4

My suggestion; Take the I-80 route going to Ohio, and then I-40 route coming back. Best of both worlds. Get to see different scenery on each trip and the most dangerous part of your trip (towing TT) would be the in better road weather conditions.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohinaz1970 View Post
Avoid Chicago area at all costs. It's a nightmare.

Second that. If you come 80, take it to the Quad Cities at the IL/IA border. Grab I-74 and drop south to Indy and finish the trip on I-70.

Actually, is Couch’s down near Cincinnati? If so, just stay on I-74, don’t come east on 70.
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipps33 View Post
Second that. If you come 80, take it to the Quad Cities at the IL/IA border. Grab I-74 and drop south to Indy and finish the trip on I-70.

Actually, is Couch’s down near Cincinnati? If so, just stay on I-74, don’t come east on 70.
Just above Cincinnati so 74 looks best. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:18 AM   #7

I-40 it's straighter and an easier ride. Since this is your 1st trip with this rig it also makes it easy in case you have issues. Traveling on 80 weather can be more unpredictable, and defiantly will run into snow and weather. Id not want to risk this on my 1st trip an new rig.
You may hit weather near Albuquerque, NM at 5,000' but you WILL hit weather in multiple places on 80 W

1 Vote for 40W
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30 [/B]
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #8

Why go back?
Dave S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
Why go back?
Because some of us do live out West in California and enjoy it. Not every corner of California is (insert your stereotype here) bad place place to live.
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30 [/B]
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:54 PM   #10

Two years ago followed I-40 from Dayton back to CA and overall the road was great. BUT we did encounter snow in NM - not bad, we just pulled into an RV Park for the night while big rigs literally smashed into each other on the icy snowy interstate we just left. Mornig came and the snow storm had cleared if not all of the trucks smashed up along several miles of freeway.
The2002Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicnVic View Post
I'm going to Couchs RV to pick up my trailer and drive it back to California, what is the easiest route to pull a trailer while not sight seeing we are just bringing it home there will be time to sight see later. I-80 looks like the fastest but I-40 is straighter, now I will be doing this in November or December if that factors in cause I don't want to drive in snow.
Do you need end up in No Cal or So Cal? Obviously, I 40 avoids snow, but drops you in So Cal. Easy to get t o No Cal from Barstow, but would be backtracking. May be better choice tho to avoid Utah, Colorado or Wyoming in the winter
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:15 PM   #12

Quote:
where in CA? That makes a big difference as to the best route.

But if you want to avoid the snow, then 40 is your best bet but you'll still get snow there in many areas as well.

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Do you need end up in No Cal or So Cal? Obviously, I 40 avoids snow, but drops you in So Cal. Easy to get t o No Cal from Barstow, but would be backtracking. May be better choice tho to avoid Utah, Colorado or Wyoming in the winter
I'm in nor Ca. I don't mind travel over the tehachapis and the hwy 99 north to get home as I've done it before and I'm familiar with that stretch of road.
Old 09-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
Why go back?
Already planning to move out of calunicornia, but for now just gotta get the new rig home and set up to travel. After we start traveling we are going to spend time in Texas scouting out where we want to buy property and build a barndominium after the house in California sells for way more than its worth (hopefully we can be ready by the time the Ca house bubble drops again) but yes why go back. As much as I love the weather and all around landscape of California I just can't take the high gas, car registration, taxes, utilities, idiots that run the state (I could on forever), it just isn't the state I grew up in and it's time to get the hell out before it is completely hostile to tax payers.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:56 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Already planning to move out of calunicornia, but for now just gotta get the new rig home and set up to travel. After we start traveling we are going to spend time in Texas scouting out where we want to buy property and build a barndominium after the house in California sells for way more than its worth (hopefully we can be ready by the time the Ca house bubble drops again) but yes why go back. As much as I love the weather and all around landscape of California I just can't take the high gas, car registration, taxes, utilities, idiots that run the state (I could on forever), it just isn't the state I grew up in and it's time to get the hell out before it is completely hostile to tax payers.
As a native Californian who left after retiring in 2014, we left for exactly the same reasons.
I still consider it to be the most amazing state in the country. Where else can you surf in the morning and in 2 hours, be skiing in the mountains. And the natural diversity is second to none.
BUT, as you said, it no longer resembles the state I grew up in. I could no longer stand watching my birth state be destroyed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
As a native Californian who left after retiring in 2014, we left for exactly the same reasons.
I still consider it to be the most amazing state in the country. Where else can you surf in the morning and in 2 hours, be skiing in the mountains. And the natural diversity is second to none.
BUT, as you said, it no longer resembles the state I grew up in. I could no longer stand watching my birth state be destroyed.
Spot on, for such a beautiful place it is quickly becoming a cesspool
Old 09-03-2021, 04:07 PM   #17

I-40 cna get some nasty snow storms in December around Gallup NM, Flagsaff AZ and the canyons east of Albuqerque.. The Texas panhandel occasionally get snow/ice storms, but mostly some fairly good headwinds coming off the mountains to the west.
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 04:12 PM   #18

could always go all the way down to 10 and only really deal with snow possibly on the grapevine

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbflag21ds View Post
could always go all the way down to 10 and only really deal with snow possibly on the grapevine
Given our drought status I doubt the grapevine will see snow even though it would be nice to see, California needs some water since the current powers that be here just let it run out to the ocean when we do actually get any rain or snow
Old 09-03-2021, 05:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Relatives in Dallas pay 3x what I pay a month for water and I live in drought ridden So Cal. They also pay more in property taxes which are raised every year…my point is everything is not necessarily greener in Texas, so research carefully and factor in running the AC more, etc…that said, there’s a lot to like about Texas too
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, ohio