Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2016, 10:30 AM   #1

Campgrounds ?

Do you enjoy looking for new campgrounds or do you like to stay at ones you are familiar and comfortable with ? The DW and I do a little of both we have campgrounds we enjoy going to every year and try and get a specific site

We do one longer vacation type trip for a week or so every year and we have been going to areas we haven’t been to before so I research the area’s we will be in and try and determine the best campgrounds that we would consider staying at based on amenities, location, etc. my pet peeve is space between the sites being from Southern CA it's crowded enough around here so for me and the DW we look forward to alittle bit of breathing room and not your typical parking lot type campground when we go on our week long vacation trip.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #2

That's why I do state parks. They are more like camping instead of staying in trailer park. We try and fit in at least one new campground per year but do have our local favorites and specific spots. Usually when we go some where new we go around the campground with a map and mark the ones we like for future reference.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
That's why I do state parks. They are more like camping instead of staying in trailer park. We try and fit in at least one new campground per year but do have our local favorites and specific spots. Usually when we go some where new we go around the campground with a map and mark the ones we like for future reference.
X2. Originally, our plan at retirement was to go on extensive long distance trips, not anticipating how much we would miss the grandkids and just don't have the wanderlust we thought we would have.
We have favorite state parks and preferred sites (on the water, spacious, wooded in that order).
We do try out new parks every couple of years and this mild winter allowed us to check out many spots.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #4
Site Team

We mainly prefer new campgrounds. We like exploring new areas, rather than seeing the same thing over and over.

That's why we would NEVER have a seasonal site. Too much out there to be experienced.

We do have a few that we enjoy returning to but that's because they were exceptional in our opinion.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:20 PM   #5

We do a little of both. Campgrounds we like to stay at for a week each year then new ones while taking a new route home. There are always our faithful ones which are convenient to dog shows or marathons. Mixing it up always makes it fun.
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:52 PM   #6

If I'm going somewhere new I have to make sure I find a campground that has lots of high scoring positive reviews on RVparkreviews. I'll also check to see if there is a FB page, a Trip Advisor page and anywhere else that I can see photos that have been submitted by regular Rvers and not the official photos from the CG's own webpages.
I like my comforts and don't want to be roughing it somewhere.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:30 AM   #7
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
We mainly prefer new campgrounds. We like exploring new areas, rather than seeing the same thing over and over.

That's why we would NEVER have a seasonal site. Too much out there to be experienced.

We do have a few that we enjoy returning to but that's because they were exceptional in our opinion.
Pretty much this!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:47 AM   #8

We have some old favorites that we still go to but most of them are State Parks. We also find new places every year. We try to take a long (3 to 4 month) trip every other year that takes us to new parts of our great nation. Last year it was the Grand Canyon. This year we have three new places that we will go for a week each and three old favorites for a week each. Then next year we are planning on going to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone. With a lot of stops going there and then coming home. The only problem with the long trips is that we do not want to come home when the trip is over with.

It is Soooo much FUN to be camping.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #9

We enjoy trying new parks, especially state, forest service and National parks. Will stay in parking lot campgrounds if needed but like the more open parks with view or along the shore.

Not that I am counting but 188 days we retire and plan to wander around for 2-3 months at a time. Struggling with idea of being away from adorable grandkids (aren't the all!) so our plan may change.

Forester 2451s
Old 04-25-2016, 12:11 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Our most Favorite park is a Provincial Park I stayed at many summers as a kid. Inverhuron on Lake Huron. The park was closed in 1980 but reopened in 2000 al rebuilt, new sites, electric and comfort stations. DW will say lets go and we will miss season opening weekend this year. Last year there was still ice on the lake we camped in a cold fog all weekend. Like coming home!

We also prefer Provincial parks as stray from private parks for the most part.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:17 PM   #11

We pretty much stay local, and pretty much stay at the same place. It's a state campground, and very nice. We're still a working couple, so we hate to use 2-3 days getting somewhere, using up our precious paid vacation days. We both will be retired in a couple of years, and then off we go. No restrictions, no hurry, and eager to check out new camping places. Almost forgot about the grandkids, though, until I read all the posts. Haven't figured that out yet, but hoping to take them with us every once in a while.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg