Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 10:45 AM   #301

Alaska 2018 Caravan Update

Happy Holidays all!

We are 11 days away from 2017 and, believe it or not, that only puts us 4 short months away from when we will have to be putting down deposits and making reservations for the Alaska Travelers '18 Caravan!

The dates for the caravan are from May 14th, 2018 (Crossover to Canada from Shelby, MT) to July 18th (last "official" caravan day in Dawson Creek, BC).

If you are interested in joining us, we have a standby list we are forming in the event that one of the 22 rigs signed up has to cancel for some reason.

If you would like more information on the standby list, please PM me and we can correspond via email.

Happy Holidays to all on the FRF!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	126825  
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
Old 12-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #302

Question

Bob,
COuld you please let us in on your Westbound caravan route? We are looking for ideas to go from FL to Cody WY in the Spring. THanks.
Henry Schwarzberg
Old 12-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by uphillracer View Post
Bob,
COuld you please let us in on your Westbound caravan route? We are looking for ideas to go from FL to Cody WY in the Spring. THanks.
Hi Henry,

We are not caravanning per-se from FL to WY in Spring, '18.

Having said that our current set-in-jello plans will have us leave FL in late JAN, swing by Huntsville and visit with our children for a week and then head on up.
We want to visit with RKNOLA, so we will go through LA,
Up the Natchez Trace and...
We want to visit with CSMRetired, so we will pass through the Dallas area
Then on to Las Cruces, NM for a couple of weeks then on to N NM.
Stop off at Chaco Canyon, Mesa Verde and on up through CO to WY

Is this what you are looking for?
Old 12-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #304

Jealous of Bama Bob ��. That Natchez Trace is a beautiful ride. Wife and I did it one end to other on motorcycles years ago. Natchez was sooooo HOT, we rented a car to see sites. ☀️☀️☀️.
Re: Poster's request; seems like he is seeking an EZ route northwest from Pensacola. He can travel uncomplicated interstates almost all of the way.
Many of us prefer alternate routes.
Hated to miss Bamaganza this year. Going to try next year.
Safe travels ��
Old 12-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #305

Just to let you know what gas cost me. Left this year last week in July & returned end of August pulling 17 ft with 2016 Chevy Silverado, High Country. 1/2 ton, 6.2 ( 10 to 13 miles per gallon). From upstate NY entering thru N Dakota ending in Anchorage. Round trip including a lot of site seeing 10500 miles, Gas $3400.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #306

Trip of a lifetime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhny View Post
Just to let you know what gas cost me. Left this year last week in July & returned end of August pulling 17 ft with 2016 Chevy Silverado, High Country. 1/2 ton, 6.2 ( 10 to 13 miles per gallon). From upstate NY entering thru N Dakota ending in Anchorage. Round trip including a lot of site seeing 10500 miles, Gas $3400.
Dollar is strong, oil prices are stable - so all good! Nobody said this would be a "cheap" trip, although our trip planners are doing a wonderful job keeping the expenses as low as possible. Good news is we use diesel in the MH and tow a 40mpg Honda Fit
Old 12-24-2016, 10:19 AM   #307

Too soon to talk about dollar strength or fuel prices. Maybe try in April 2018.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:40 PM   #308

Just a reminder for traveling into Canada, May is not cold in the province of BC. You will need proper identification, ie a passport. Make sure you check and understand the gun restrictions before entering Canada. Also restrictions on foods. Criminal convictions, as identified in Canada, may prevent entry into Canada.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #309

Alaska 2018

Just saw this post. Not entirely certain how the timing is going to work out for me and DW but my plan is to leave San Antonio right after Easter 2018 and head west to Pahrump NV for a week, maybe ten days then to San Diego and up the coast from there. I used Good Sam trip planner to map my course to Anchorage but I really have no real plan other than to see this great country of ours. I would not mind being put on the standby list and maybe join up with you if everything works out. Otherwise we will probably see you on the road! Best of luck on this great adventure!!
Retirement in 244 days 2 hrs 52 mins 24 secs!! Woo-Hoo!!
Old 01-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #310

Alaska 2018

Razbaz, The timing might be very good. We have several meeting points and several of the members are joining in groups coming from various locals. We will first meet at Shelby, Mt around May the 10th. The group will leave there for Calgary on May the 14th. We have a group reservation in Calgary and will stay there four nights. On the 18 of May we will leave for Banff and Jasper Canadian Provincial Parks. Following the parks we have group reservations in Dawson Creek at the beginning of the Alcan Highway. Some out members that are coming from Calif. will skip Calgary, Banff and Jasper and come directly to Dawson Creek. The tour leaves Dawson Creek on the 27th of May and will return there on the 16th of July. Reservations for all camping, ten Group Activities and several "personal choice" options available. We are getting group discounts on camping and other items and as there are no "paid" employees the tour is set up as non-profit. It will be thousands of dollars less expensive then the commercial tours. We have had one couple/rig, from the original 22, that for various reasons decided that they must drop out just last month. The "Standby" rig paid the deposits, the folks that dropped out got their money refunded and the "Standby" is now going. We would welcome additional standbys. May of 2018 is still a way off.

Personally, DW and I will be leaving Denton, TX around the 5th of May heading for Shelby. We went up and around Alaska on one of the commercial tours in 2014 and are ready to go back. There are others in the group who have been before as well.

If you want more info please send me an email at pmsto@peoplepc.com

Pete S,
Old 01-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSPete20 View Post
Razbaz,----------- The group will leave there for Calgary on May the 14th. We have a group reservation in Calgary and will stay there four nights. On the 18 of May we will leave for Banff and Jasper Canadian Provincial Parks. Following the parks we have group reservations in Dawson Creek at the beginning of the Alcan Highway. Some out members that are coming from Calif. will skip Calgary, Banff and Jasper and come directly to Dawson Creek. -----------------
If you want more info please send me an email at pmsto@peoplepc.com

Pete S,
Ahh! Banff and Jasper are Canadian National Parks!
Old 01-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #312

I plan on leaving NC May the first of this year for Alaska. DW and I like doing trips that is just us. Traveling with a group is just not for us but I'm sure the people that's taking the trip will have a lot of fun. We just like to go our own way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-12-2017, 09:35 PM   #313

Alaska 2018

Thanks Pete. Yes. I would like to placed on the standby list. I have been pouring over maps and websites trying to plan the best trip possible. Having good folks share their past experiences through the Yukon will be helpful no matter if this works out or not. I had originally planned on leaving Vancouver and heading north up the coast finally arriving in Anchorage. The trip back south would have been pretty much the course the caravan is taking to get into the Yukon. Since I really do not have a firm plan it would be nice to hook up with folks experienced in the Alaska highway systems and tag along even if not formal members. I would appreciate obtaining a copy of the itinerary so I can look into the parks and book reservations.
Thanks again and looking forward to this great adventure.
244 work days till retirement! It is becoming all too real!!
Old 01-12-2017, 10:45 PM   #314

Banff

Silverback Mel will have 2017 info on the area since we will be there May 24th for a week. That new mountain glass skywalk is on our list. Will be doing both: guided and self tours.
As mentioned on a previous post, we are flying/driving. ( Time constraints ). Targets are: Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper. Flying in/out of Calgary.

I am envious of the 2018 Alaska caravan travelers.
Sometimes it's just not in the cards.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:11 PM   #315

At-18 atv

I read through the full thread and finally found where the topic of ATVs was discussed a bit. I too am considering taking a sxs on this trip. It does sound like the ATV use in most of the smaller burgs is quite liberal. The thought of the ATV or UTV in some of the areas could offer an exceptional opportunity to see some country you might not be able to see otherwise.
My major concern is the extra weight the Honda Pioneer adds to my rig. Short trips is never a problem but one like this does offer up a few questions. I tend to over pack so I guess I will have to start making a list and carefully consider everything on that list. Pack it all up and pull into a CAT Weigh Station. I would hope to have a few hundred pounds left over for the stuff I know we will adding to our cargo.
Any one have any input or insight from their experience in AK about the use of ATV?
Thanks in advance for that input.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:05 PM   #316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
Too soon to talk about dollar strength or fuel prices. Maybe try in April 2018.
Or buy your Canadian dollars now
Old 03-23-2017, 10:45 PM   #317

We have a couple of standby slots open now if any are interested PM me or email at bob@williamsnet DOT org
Old 03-30-2017, 12:27 AM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabraz View Post
I read through the full thread and finally found where the topic of ATVs was discussed a bit. I too am considering taking a sxs on this trip. It does sound like the ATV use in most of the smaller burgs is quite liberal. . . . Any one have any input or insight from their experience in AK about the use of ATV?
ATVs and snow machines are everywhere in Alaska. Even little kids ride around on them. But there are not a lot of roads in Alaska either, so they are actually a need, not a "want" in many places.

Personally, I wouldn't bother for a relatively short (2-3month) trip because there is more than enough to see without it. And keep in mind that much of the land off the roads is covered with muskeg, black spruce, and alder-willow underbrush that hampers any type of wheeled vehicle access. Not to mention minor problems like moose, bears, and the Alaska state bird . . . the mosquito . . . that inhabit that underbrush.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:08 AM   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanrgs View Post
ATVs and snow machines are everywhere in Alaska. Even little kids ride around on them. But there are not a lot of roads in Alaska either, so they are actually a need, not a "want" in many places.

Personally, I wouldn't bother for a relatively short (2-3month) trip because there is more than enough to see without it. And keep in mind that much of the land off the roads is covered with muskeg, black spruce, and alder-willow underbrush that hampers any type of wheeled vehicle access. Not to mention minor problems like moose, bears, and the Alaska state bird . . . the mosquito . . . that inhabit that underbrush.

I can't talk DW into going in the winter. We can't stay to long, we hope to go this year
Old 03-30-2017, 09:01 AM   #320
Doe

Love to go leaving from s c keep me informed
Closed Thread

Tags
frog