Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2018, 03:11 AM   #41
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
If you go to Mesa Verde NP, try to squeeze in a trip on the Durango-Silverton Railroad.

We also enjoyed the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs. Where else can you hand feed giraffes?

Here are some suggestions of points to visit while in Moab UT (beside Arches NP)... Canyonlands NP, Corona Arch at sunrise (Potash Rd outside Moab), Wilson’s Arch (US Rt 191), Gemini Bridges (off of Rt 191 just north of Arches) and Dead Horse Point SP.
One thing about living where you do, it is not a huge commitment to make a return trip, compared to us here in Australia.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:28 PM   #42

And those photos are amazing. I'd love to go back and take my daughter on that kind of photography tour. (And maybe hire someone to help teach her to post process the photos she took. She got frustrated trying to edit them!)

Doug, look at this software for your DD. My GD really likes it. I got it for her last summer.

Photoshop Plugins & Filters | Beautiful Photo Effects

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:23 PM   #43

When you reach I-25 in Colorado, or maybe when you leave the house, have your girls turn on a Altitude app. It's lots of fun to see the elevation gain.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
When you reach I-25 in Colorado, or maybe when you leave the house, have your girls turn on a Altitude app. It's lots of fun to see the elevation gain.
We think alike, I just picked up a second handheld GPS exactly for that purpose. The girls fought over the only one during our last trip to the Appalachians.

2015 Coachman Chaparral 360IBL
2012 6.7L Ford F350 SRW
53 nights camped in 2017.
farmncamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #45
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post

Heck, that’s a lot of fun FOR ME! I get a kick out of it.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #46

I've made a few changes to the route based off some suggestions from others. We're going to focus more on the San Jaun mountains. We'll still get up for 1 day to see the Black Canyon though. It doesn't look that far from Ouray or Silverton. I haven't checked into campground availability yet, so the location may change a bit.

Any suggestions for good campgrounds with Verizon Service in Moab or the Ouray / Silverton areas?

Click for updated Google Maps Route

Initial Plan
  • Friday, Drive day 1 - Goodland KS KOA
  • Saturday, Drive Day 2 - Moab UT
  • Sunday, Arches - Moab, UT
  • Monday, Arches - Moab, UT
  • Tuesday, Canyonlands / DeadH - Moab, UT
  • Wednesday, ??? - Moab, UT
  • Thursday, MOAB / Ouray - Ouray
  • Friday, Silverton - Ouray
  • Saturday, Durango - Ouray
  • Sunday, Mesa Verde NP - Ouray
  • Monday, Black Canyon NP - Ouray
  • Tuesday, Drive Colorado Spr - Ouray, Colorado Springs
  • Wednesday, Pikes Peak - Colorado Springs
  • Thursday, Zoo - Colorado Springs
  • Friday, ??? - Colorado Springs
  • Saturday, Drive Home - Topeka, KS KOA
  • Sunday, Drive Home - Home

2012 6.7L Ford F350 SRW
Old 01-12-2018, 10:26 PM   #47
Always Learning

Given your destination choices, we found being on the north side of Moab to be more convenient than the south side over our 2 stays.

We first stayed at Archview RV Park. It literally has a view of Arches NP and of you squint or use binoculars, you can see the Windows Arches. But, it was expensive at near $50-55/night give or take (and 2 years ago- Oct 15). I do believe they had a pool. I don’t think there was a playground. And, it was amazingly dark at night- if you go to the dumpster, take a real flashlight; my phone wasn’t sufficient.

This year, we stayed at OK RV Park near the Spanish Trail Marina. It was OK (they got the name right!). Turned out fairly inexpensive at or just below $30/night. No amenities and no real view from the campground. Plus we found you had to drive thru Moab most everywhere we wanted to go. Sky wasn’t dark and they had traffic lights in the RV park itself. The sites were a mishmash - some decent and some terrible (like parking on a campground road). No pool, but Ken’s Lake is a straight shot from there. The hike up to Faux Falls is pretty easy- even easier if you brave the sand and drive most of the way).

If you’re looking for a down/easier day- going to Ken’s Lake was a great relaxer. We took the grill and another family and made a dinner evening out of it. In May/early June, Faux Falls were terrifyingly cold with ice melt runoff. There are also a couple of hikes in streams- fun and refreshing.

In the area is a bunch of Indian Rock art. This is superbly amazing to see. The kids really enjoyed that.

And lastly, making the trek to Dead Horse Point SP have breathtaking views. We did that and Canyonlands in the same (long, hot) day.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #48
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMor View Post
And those photos are amazing. I'd love to go back and take my daughter on that kind of photography tour. (And maybe hire someone to help teach her to post process the photos she took. She got frustrated trying to edit them!)

Doug, look at this software for your DD. My GD really likes it. I got it for her last summer.

Photoshop Plugins & Filters | Beautiful Photo Effects

Frank
Those plug-in effects... I use NIK suite and have been doing that stuff for years. I have my own sets of presets for each style, which turn out pretty similar to those in the packages you linked to.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:01 PM   #49

Sorry if this has already been suggested. Since you have a couple of days with ???, which I understand to mean you might have some flexibility, I would suggest looking into a day at Great Sand Dunes National Park. It is unique and I think your girls would enjoy hiking and sledding there and it might not be that far out of your way between Durango and C. Springs.

rebellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:38 PM   #50
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmncamp View Post
I've made a few changes to the route based off some suggestions from others. We're going to focus more on the San Jaun mountains. We'll still get up for 1 day to see the Black Canyon though. It doesn't look that far from Ouray or Silverton. I haven't checked into campground availability yet, so the location may change a bit.

Any suggestions for good campgrounds with Verizon Service in Moab or the Ouray / Silverton areas?

Initial Plan
  • Friday, Drive day 1 - Goodland KS KOA
  • Saturday, Drive Day 2 - Moab UT
  • Sunday, Arches - Moab, UT
  • Monday, Arches - Moab, UT
  • Tuesday, Canyonlands / DeadH - Moab, UT
  • Wednesday, ??? - Moab, UT
  • Thursday, MOAB / Ouray - Ouray
  • Friday, Silverton - Ouray
  • Saturday, Durango - Ouray
  • Sunday, Mesa Verde NP - Ouray
  • Monday, Black Canyon NP - Ouray
  • Tuesday, Drive Colorado Spr - Ouray, Colorado Springs
  • Wednesday, Pikes Peak - Colorado Springs
  • Thursday, Zoo - Colorado Springs
  • Friday, ??? - Colorado Springs
  • Saturday, Drive Home - Topeka, KS KOA
  • Sunday, Drive Home - Home
That looks like a nice plan. Also, taking the northern route first (I-70) will help everyone acclimate to the higher altitudes of the San Juans before getting there.

What time of year will you be traveling?

Safe Travels,
Rich J.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:26 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
What time of year will you be traveling?
This trip will be late July early August. As a farmer, that is the only time period where I'm able to get away. My wife is a teacher so we're stuck with that time period.

2012 6.7L Ford F350 SRW

Tags
utah