Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2018, 04:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskyguy View Post
So - my original questions probably should have been "Has anyone cooked in a crock pot in a travel trailer (or 5th wheel) while it is being towed" - from the answers I have gotten I am reading the answer as "no" as nobody has answered "sure, I do it all the time".

Thanks for the help.

I am with you on this.

No I never have.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:58 PM   #22

Crock Pot at home is different than being in a camper being towed. Also, don't put it in the sink! Someone put a watermelon in their sink while towing, went over a bump, and the watermelon cracked the ceramic sink.
stellaandspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:13 PM   #23

Thanks Mch5jdm - that is what I was thinking when responses came in. I'm a newbie (and an insurance agent) so my question was more from the standpoint of not damaging my trailer or vehicle's electrical system.

Being in the insurance biz makes me a bit more cautious on most matters than many person. I understand the whole risk of a hot crock pot, spillage, etc... I joined the forum to work me out of the newbie stage and not so much the social stuff as I have Facebook...or even honest to goodness face to face conversations for that
Oskyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:14 PM   #24
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mch5jdm View Post
Really! What if the sun got to hot one day and fried everything. The OP asked a simple question relating to the draw on the inverter while traveling down the road. Not a full bore safety lecture on his thought.

I get this forum offers much advice in terms of safe practices but jeez almighty every thread turns into a safety lecture. Most are grownups and don’t need mom watching over them.

Sheesh

Just remember, it doesn't matter how old you are, Moms always worry about their babies.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:22 PM   #25

Oskyguy regardless what all these responses say we have done it lots of times with never a problem. we have also sit it in the back seat floorboard. it's a crock pot the element is completely enclosed.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Really! What if the sun got to hot one day and fried everything. The OP asked a simple question relating to the draw on the inverter while traveling down the road. Not a full bore safety lecture on his thought.

I get this forum offers much advice in terms of safe practices but jeez almighty every thread turns into a safety lecture. Most are grownups and don’t need mom watching over them.

Sheesh
So you ask about the sun getting too hot and frying everything.....That is a real grown up response.
Unless you are the forum police you should act grown up and just pass by the responses you don't like. Stop giving full bore lectures on forum etiquette.

SAFETY always outweighs weather or not the OP was looking for such responces

Move along, grow up, and stop criticizing
coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:22 PM   #27

Wow

Holy cow folks. I'm kind of sorry I asked. Certainly did not want to create any conflict in the forum. Let's just walk away...
Oskyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:52 PM   #28

Almost every day on the road, we use a Saratoga Jack (from Australia) thermal pot. For example, in the morning you sear a roast on the stove in the supplied stainless steel pot, add water and veggies, bring it to almost a boil then put the cooking pot into the sealed thermal pot. When we arrive in the evening, everything is totally cooked and still hot. All of this with no electricity. We have the larger one, which has two stacking pots. In the past, we've even put cornbread batter in the top pot and had fully cooked cornbread when we arrived. Amazing little unit. (We keep it in the sink surrounded with towels while driving.)
BTW - DW teaches bread making. Cooks all our bread as needed when we're stopped at a campground. (Yes, I'm spoiled.)
Old 06-27-2018, 07:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by coney View Post
So you ask about the sun getting too hot and frying everything.....That is a real grown up response.

Unless you are the forum police you should act grown up and just pass by the responses you don't like. Stop giving full bore lectures on forum etiquette.

SAFETY always outweighs weather or not the OP was looking for such responces

Move along, grow up, and stop criticizing

Fair enough.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:28 PM   #30

I would encourage you look at the Wonderbag non-electric cooker below:

Home page

It does require a bit of prep beforehand (not unlike an electric crockpot), but is not impossible. I purchased one recently but have yet to try it (I purchased mine new on eBay). You could put the whole thing in the sink or oven/microwave oven and let it cook while you are driving. There is absolutely NO electricity involved with how this bag cooks. Check it out, it might work for you!!
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:16 PM   #31
Living the Dream

Have you considered a Instant Pot?

We love ours, set it up and while you are setting up the RV turn it on and by the time you are done the food is cooked.
AKMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:12 PM   #32

You can cook with a crock pot while going down the road in a couple of different ways. Personally I wouldn't try cooking in a crock pot by leaving it in the trailer while I was rolling down the highway, it's just a recipe for possible disaster in my book.

1) Plug an inverter into a 12v power outlet in the backseat of your tow vehicle, if you have a crew cab or extended cab pickup, and then place the crock pot in the back seat while you're rolling down the road.

2) Purchase a 12V crock pot, that way all you have to do is plug it into a 12V power outlet in your tow vehicle. You can find 12V appliances at most truck stops or with an internet search. This was the way I would cook my dinner when I was an over the road truck driver, they're a bit smaller than one you might buy for the house, but they're the perfect size for one or two people and you won't have left overs to take up space in the fridge.
Lighting546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:41 PM   #33

Can’t speak to the Crock Pot, but this works like a million bucks for us!!!!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072QKTGM9...&pd_rd_w=6Ynwt

It’s 12v and cooks at 300f and is the size of a lunch box.
Thor Vegas 25.5
Randy’s Rod Shop & Fabrication
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #34

I don't know about the electrical issues, but I will say when you are traveling 65mph down the highway with all the idiots on the road with you, you never know what can happen. Blown tires, side swiped, and all kinds of other problems could result in surprises that aren't worth it. I would think better to cook the night before and save in the refrigerator to be warmed up the next night. Just my opinion, but you did ask
TraileringTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:42 PM   #35
Jack's Mini 2304ks

Crockpot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coney View Post
As a fireman, I would call that unattended cooking and a recipe (pun intended) for a pretty hot fire rolling down the road
In that case I’d say there’s a lot of unattended cooking going on in many American kitchens.
jjmffca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:53 PM   #36
Jack's Mini 2304ks

Inverter or converter?

If you have an inverter Yes
jjmffca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:50 PM   #37

Quote:

Sheesh
Really? What if the sun got too hot? You’re killing me..

I would pay attention to the fireman, he’s probably seen a thing or two.
Mike968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:27 AM   #38
RML

UNattended Slow cooking is DANGEROUS

I don't really understand all of the inverter details - but if basically you are using the lighter from the battery, why not just set the pot on the floor (inside a dishpan) inside the tow vehicle so you can watch it? We haven't used our slow cooker unattended in our home since my cousin's kitchen had a massive fire caused by the slow cooker when they weren't home.

happy travels - smell that beef stew cookin!
RML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:46 AM   #39

This may be to obvious but why not get a 12
Volt Crookpot ? Best Buy, Cabellas, etc. good luck.
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:08 AM   #40

Back in the good’ol days we used to make Foil Dinners on the engine.
Chunks of meat, potatoes, carrots, onions and a glob of butter along with seasoning wrapped in aluminum foil. We would put these on top of the engine (away from carburetor linkage) and by the time we drove the few hundred miles we were putting on, the dinner was done and ohhhhhhh so good.....
Nowadays, you can’t even find the top of the engines - we tried!

That’s When we bought the hot lunch box I identified earlier... it works the same as the engine, but only off of 12v
Thor Vegas 25.5
Randy’s Rod Shop & Fabrication
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel