Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #1

Cross Country National Park Trip

Need tips for a cross country tour we are trying to hit lots of National Parks. Planning on leaving New Jersey in late August and returning in November. We want to head west and hit lots of parks and see some nice sites before returning back to New Jersey. I'm looking for any tips from anyone who has done this before. My concerns are what to take with me like extra wheel bearings for the camper extra DEF for my 2011 F-350 Diesel and anything else that has already been thought of and taken. Another thought is a 12v air compressor that is able to fill 80lbs of pressure in my truck tires. Another thought is, I already have AAA and was wondering if Good Sam road assistance is better.

Any help is appreciated on this grand adventure.
NJLOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #2

I always carry extra DEF fluid and I have a Garmin GPS. The most important thing is a TPMS for the truck and camper that you trust. I like TST 507

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJLOAD View Post
Need tips for a cross country tour we are trying to hit lots of National Parks. Planning on leaving New Jersey in late August and returning in November. We want to head west and hit lots of parks and see some nice sites before returning back to New Jersey. I'm looking for any tips from anyone who has done this before. My concerns are what to take with me like extra wheel bearings for the camper extra DEF for my 2011 F-350 Diesel and anything else that has already been thought of and taken. Another thought is a 12v air compressor that is able to fill 80lbs of pressure in my truck tires. Another thought is, I already have AAA and was wondering if Good Sam road assistance is better.

Any help is appreciated on this grand adventure.
Fist thing is Buy a National Park Pass,If you are 62 its Only 10.00$ Lifetime! Plus Big Discount! If not 62 still Buy a NPP Passport, it Lists the NP by Region,and has a Location to place the NP Stamps! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:13 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies folks, I searched up the TST 507 and after looking at the price of the extra sensors was wondering what the chance of someone stealing them would be? I like the thoughts of the whole system but wonder about that. Extra DEF will definitely be going along and I need to find a good 12v air compressor as my rear truck tires require 80lbs of pressure.

I do have a NP passport book but just shy of 62 for the entrance fees.

Any thing else recommended would be appreciated.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:33 AM   #5

My wife and I made that trip last summer, we had a blast . We visited 14 national parks ! (I got the NP pins) my only suggestions would be do not try to cram too much into too little time, make sure to schedule a day off every few days to just relax. Don't forget if the National Parks are booked up the National Forest Service has campgrounds as well !
Have fun ! Which way ya going Southern or Northern ?
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:49 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Also, check your schedule as to where you are going to be and when. Depending on snowfall, most of Yellowstone could be shut down towards the latter end of your trip. I know they plow from the north entrance to Cooke City, MT, but that's a dead end once you get there. Beartooth usually closes first of November, but has closed as early as mid Oct.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #7
Dr Travel

Talking Weather

Good on ya for making a "big trip."

Wife and I visited 50 national parks from late April to end of November in 2010. Drove 35,000+ miles in an Airstream Interstate (Class B MH)

Not sure what your goal is, other than to see some "nice sites." But based on our whirlwind tour (from the Florida Keys to Alaska, Maine to southern California) we would urge you to slow down a bit, see less but see more. Visit fewer park but go deeper. Don't be a drive-by tourist. Average visit in national parks is somewhere between 90 minutes and half a day. Each and every park is unique and has much to offer. Recommend you sign up for at least one Ranger led walk/hike in each park you visit. You'll actually learn some things that will surprise you.

How close are you to 62? Any chance you'll turn 62 before you leave, or during your trip? Every park sells the seniors pass.

The greatest concentration of parks is Colorado/Utah. We spent three days at Mesa Verde and that was about right. Great Sand Dunes is worth a solid day, the visitor center there is pretty good, and traipsing around is a blast and will wear you out. Fantastic phenomenon. Rocky Mountain National Park could keep you busy for a couple of weeks, easy. Are you a hiker? Take photos? Enjoy history? Hard to give you guidance without knowing.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison, also in CO, is a good day's visit. You'll take that long to drive around the perimeter and stop at each overlook. It is an astonishing place and quite capable of giving you a case of vertigo. I think there is only one road down to the river and it was out of commission when we were there. Would love to go back and see if we could get down there and look UP>

On to Utah and you have Bryce, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Arches, and Zion. All within an easy days drive of each other. Bryce is magical and worthy of a hike down into the hoodoos. You can even horseback ride through there. Canyon lands, Capitol Reef, Arches and Zion each warrant a few days, at least. Best time to take the drive through at Arches is during sunset and sunrise. No crowds, fantastic light and the rocks sing with color. Zion - oh, my, Zion - likely you'll go through the main entrance and miss the northwest corner of the park. Nothing wrong with that, you are just missing some fantastic scenery and a great hiking trail or two or three. Make Zion your last stop and you are a hop, skip and a jump from the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Would not make that the last stop, as they close up the lodge and campgrounds up there kind of early. Easy to check the normal closing.

If you did all of the above in your time frame you'll be doing a lot. Allow some down time just to relax, maybe a day between each park. After all, you are on a vacation, not practicing a lifestyle.

Not sure why DEF is such a concern, it is readily available across the country. Maybe one container to tide you over just in case?

If you could share a bit more about what you like to do in national parks I could throw some more ideas at you. We did our marathon trip because it was sponsored - we only had to pay for our food. Otherwise, we would have taken two years to do what we did in seven months. I had just turned 63 back then so we did not have to pay any park entrance fees.

Oh, forgot to mention weather, other than the north rim thing. It would be a shame to go that distance and not see the north rim. So, plan it so you go there no later than October 1 and spend 4 - 5 days there, then swing up and go see Zion as your "last stop" before heading home. That means possibly great fall colors in Zion, too. BTW, if you finish up in Zion and then head east, plan your route to take you to two cool spots: Monument Valley and Valley of the Gods in southeastern corner of Utah.

Whatever, have fun, and like I said, rather than cramming in more parks, visit fewer parks and see more.
robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #8

You may be a little late for NPS campgrounds out west. Many close in Sept and Oct. Check out the closing dates; the info may help in planning your itinerary. Take a flexible funnel for pouring water from a container into your water inlet in remote locations where it's sometimes inconvenient to fill using a hose. So many parks, so many opportunities -- have a great trip.
Maineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJLOAD View Post
Thanks for the replies folks, I searched up the TST 507 and after looking at the price of the extra sensors was wondering what the chance of someone stealing them would be? I like the thoughts of the whole system but wonder about that. Extra DEF will definitely be going along and I need to find a good 12v air compressor as my rear truck tires require 80lbs of pressure.

I do have a NP passport book but just shy of 62 for the entrance fees.

Any thing else recommended would be appreciated.

I have had the 507 now for five years and never had a sensor stolen, they come with locks on them, you have a tool to take them off and on. I don't have the flow-thu so I don't use the locks. We are retired now and this year we plan on driving 1 day and camping 3 days. I have a air compressor, my tires on camper is 110lbs. I also carry 2 Honda's, 2000l. Plus I have a 100gl fuel tank, not to save money but to stay out of gas stations.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #10
CDR USN Ret

Don't understand the DEF issue - you can get it everywhere - any auto parts store, any diesel fuel stop, most minimarts .... It's easier to get than a headlight!
DSQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:36 PM   #11
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSQR View Post
Don't understand the DEF issue - you can get it everywhere - any auto parts store, any diesel fuel stop, most minimarts .... It's easier to get than a headlight!
Or Diesel fuel for that matter!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #12

I carry extra DEF fluid, you never know plus I never go to a truck stop. Walmart carries it, it's like extra oil, I always carry a quart.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #13

as others have stated, the biggest issue you face it that mountainous national parks start shutting down in sept and oct. for instance, Glacier starts shutting down many campgrounds and Services the week after labor day. With that said, the parks are very nice at this time, they aren't too hot so you won't miss not being fully hooked up. Animals are very active getting ready for hibernation, winter and mating so they are easier to find. Also, since kids are back in school, less families (less crowded)
Old 02-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #14

We are planning on leaving NJ in late August and Returning home before Thanksgiving. We are taking the northern route when we leave here. My wife and I are retired and my sister and her husband also retired are making the trip with us.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #15

We are going to Alaska this year and will start back in September and we would like to visit Glacier and Yellowstone and Grand Teton on the way back plus a few more on the way back to NC

Old 02-02-2016, 09:34 PM   #16

We took a trip from S KY headed up through OH through MI to the UP. We left on Sept 1. Then took Rt 2 all the way to Glacier natl Park. Then down to Yellowstone and on to ID WA OR CA. What we found is a lot of campgrounds are closed after Labor day. Way out in the boonies things get a bit sparse. My best advice is to get a good app for your smart phone and call ahead to any campgrounds that sound interesting. Take lots of warm clothing too, it gets mighty cold up in the higher elevations that time of year. Make sure u have plenty of maps. You cannot trust the GPS units some times. I had one take me down a logging road. Did not take me long to turn around. Even on the GPSs best day the dumb things will not take u on the best routes. We were in thick mountains and forest where GPS did not even work.

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ and Louie the wonder dog
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:51 AM   #17

I never rely on my Garmin, I always take maps and I take my laptop to check where I'm going the next day. I must admit that the Garmin RV760 has been really great so far, I still like to see where I'm going the next day

Old 02-03-2016, 10:03 AM   #18

Suggested Parks

I have done this trip several times from western PA. I would suggest stopping at Mount Rushmore, South Dakota for a couple of days. This will give you time to visit the monument and drive the Needles Highway. If your trailer is not too long, Custer State Park has several campgrounds to choose from.

From there it is a short drive to Devils Tower in Wyoming (or do it as a day trip from Custer SD). Leaving Devils Tower you can go NW to Glacier NP in Montana or go West to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons NPs. If you decide to go to Glacier NP (or the north entrance to Yellowstone) you will be driving past the Little Big Horn NM where Gen. Custer met his end. It is along I-95 in Montana.

There are multiple possibilities heading south from Grand Tetons. PM me and I can send you some more suggestions.
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #19

You may already have this in mind, but if you buy a 12 volt air compressor, consider a combined booster battery/compressor.

Be sure it has enough power to start your Diesel. The larger ones run $75 to $100. In a pinch, you could use it for your trailer lights and refrigerator if you run your coach battery down while without a hookup.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:39 AM   #20

I have an old AC Delco booster/compressor but don't think it would blow up my 80lb tires. I have in the past used a 1000w power inverter connected to a deep cycle battery to run my CPAP machine for a week.

Thanks for all the great suggestions folks, all good stuff.