Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #21
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Well you said it.
X3

Ok, rethink of my post...

While this is absurd, there is still a constitution and this is not a legal stop by any local authority (been there done that...). A gentleman was arrested in DC after a car stop. They requested either a search or they saw a single bullet on his floor board (plain sight). He was arrested for having unregistered ammo. So laws can be very weird. I believe he was from PA and just driving down the highway to pass through.

There is NO national gun registry that is false (unless it is class 3 other NFA devices). There is ways to know or find if someone has a carry permit. Some states maintain logs of what firearms you may have but not the US. If you were stopped (which actually DID happen along the Baltimore Tunnel by the tunnel police) just because a tag was run by cops, not the cameras.. The owner was found to HAVE a carry permit. He was stopped and pulled out of the car and searched. This was found illegal and the police paid for it. The constitution does exist.. Though it is read differently in different parts of the US.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
Travel at your own risk, I am done with this thread, I try and offer my knowledge and I get ridiculed

BTW, this thread will be closed in the near future because of sarcasm...

well wannabee clowns. you will lhave ruined information for others once again

Hope your proud or your great accomplishment to society,,,NOT

Well it looks like you took your ball and went home?

Lets see......you made a statement that did not make any sense and frankly is a load of BS......A few members questioned it, and you responded with.....

"The biggest problem with this forum is people who DONT have a clue having to put in their two cents worth "

Sarcasm you say?
Old 07-26-2016, 08:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Of course I live out west where according to some we still fight Indians and form posses, but I always leave home with my CC permit and my two best friends Mr Smith and Mr Wesson for that rare moment. Many of my RV acquaintenances do the same and have for years and years. To my current knowlege, none of us have encountered a problem with our practice although none of us walk around with twin bandoleers on.
LOL!! I love talking guns with guys from back east or CA for the same reasons you described dieselguy! I live in NM where open carry is allowed most places. I own several handguns and too many 'long' guns to count. I usually have a short, but legal, shotgun in the RV and a pistol in the truck. Do I ever brandish them... no. Have I carried them across the US with no problems, Yes!

At this time in history trying to sort out all the firearm laws in each state is near impossible. I would rather have a gun when needed and be tried for not having a piece of paper than be at the mercy of some thug.

We live 45 miles from Mexico who has some the strictest gun laws on the planet. But guess who also has one of the highest death by firearm stats?

I will probably break down and get a CC license this year or next, but then that means I'll have to buy a registered pistol. Registration just goes against my better judgement
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 07-26-2016, 08:36 AM   #24
Land of the Midnightsun

I wouldn't worry bout any of this. Most of y'all don't need any fire arms anyhow your just gonna hurt your selves
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:38 AM   #25
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJLOAD View Post
This will probably spark up some conversation and maybe not.

What are the laws and thoughts about bringing a gun (in the camper) on trips through different states? I have a retired Police friend who said it is Ok to carry a gun in the camper as it is an extension of your home. I find this hard to believe but was wondering what the forum folks think on this subject.

Please no nasty comments.

Thanks.
As said many times there is MANY LAWS across the 50 states. The burden is on YOU to know them. Your retired LEO friend MAY be able to follow a different set of "rules" due to his retired status. Active LEOs may carry anywhere in the USA and its territories with little restriction retired is about the same (if not the same) so keep this in mind. My guess you are talking handgun?

Handgunlaw.us or the NRA is good source to stay up to date on the laws, which change a lot. They have been changing for the better though it seems. If you do not have a carry permit or one that does not have reciprocity in the state it typically needs to be unloaded and secured in a locked container with the ammo separate. While the Federal Law MAY protect you (it is very specific on how and when it works) it is for an UNLOADED firearm.

Long arms MAY be treated different in your state. Here is PA you can carry a rifle in your vehicle, but unloaded only, even with a carry permit. If it is loaded you violate a game law ((weird)) but that is how it is... In another state a shotgun may be OK but certain styles of riffles may be illegal due to being banned.

So as you can see it is NOT very cut and dry. Unfortunately the tried by 12 mentality may work until you get caught for something silly then end up in prison. Also keep in mind the idea of self defense is VERY different even in the courts across the US. On the left coast the current SUPREME COURT ruling is you have NO right to carry a firearm in public for self defense only reason. Here the Supreme COurt rules you DO have a right... Very strange..

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-26-2016, 08:39 AM   #26

Check the rules for each state you are in. Stopping you just because you have an out of state plate and a carry permit is profiling and not legal in any state there has to be probable cause.

If you put your carry in a lock box or unload it you may as well carry a rock in your pocket.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
Old 07-26-2016, 08:47 AM   #27

Great thread stay cool like when you carry.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
Old 07-26-2016, 08:56 AM   #28
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Great thread stay cool like when you carry.
I agree. But like the diesel thread (yeah I went there) people get passionate about it. Those who hate guns will get political and testy, those who like them get political and testy right back.. Then the lock comes. False truths are made both ways from some fact and a lot of fiction..

It is a hot topic but with millions s of RVs on the road and even more people with firearms I think it is a real world and important topic. As long as it stay civil, which in my experience it either does not or the site just locks it because it could get sideways.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #29

This is not that hard.

Yes, the US Constitution has a 4th Amendment, and police can't just decide to stop you because you are driving down the road. Probable Cause is a tried and true legal concept that applies to all citizens.

But, each state does decide what is allowed as far as "open carry", and "carrying while traveling" and "what each requires to get a license in THEIR state to carry concealed" and "what reciprocity they will and won't accept with each state where you might possess a CCW license".

Those four things are the variables, and in a GENERAL sense, New York and Maryland are quite strict in all four. Illinois, and other states are more restrictive. And of course, Canada is a whole 'nuther country, and C-68 or whatever it is up there, applies. Their laws are their laws.

That said, the Days are Different lately........so you'll have to decide for yourself how far away the police are when you encounter a situation. You have rights, but they are not absolute. You also have a brain and a responsibility.

That's my two cents. As for me, I'll say this.

Mr. Government, as you read this, I don't own any weapons. I have some that were once registered with NCIC, but I gave them all to some homeless people. I don't have any ammo or anything. I think they're too dangerous, and I might drop one on my foot, so they're all gone.

And lastly, I keep SMH when I see folks ask for threads to be closed. Why? Disagreement is gonna happen, especially on 'hot topics'. So long as folks don't cuss/yell/ridicule, why close it? Just don't read it if bothers you. That is also my opinion.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 07-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #30

I use an app called CCW which allow me to type in my permits and determine where I am legal and where I am not. It also provides useful information such as duty to inform. In Missouri, you are not required to tell a law officer that you are carrying, in Indiana, you must.

beyond that, realize that certain items regardless of legality in one state are prohibited in another. Magazines that allow a certain amount of bullets or Hollow points.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:06 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
As said many times there is MANY LAWS across the 50 states. The burden is on YOU to know them. Your retired LEO friend MAY be able to follow a different set of "rules" due to his retired status. Active LEOs may carry anywhere in the USA and its territories with little restriction retired is about the same (if not the same) so keep this in mind. My guess you are talking handgun?

Handgunlaw.us or the NRA is good source to stay up to date on the laws, which change a lot. They have been changing for the better though it seems. If you do not have a carry permit or one that does not have reciprocity in the state it typically needs to be unloaded and secured in a locked container with the ammo separate. While the Federal Law MAY protect you (it is very specific on how and when it works) it is for an UNLOADED firearm.

Long arms MAY be treated different in your state. Here is PA you can carry a rifle in your vehicle, but unloaded only, even with a carry permit. If it is loaded you violate a game law ((weird)) but that is how it is... In another state a shotgun may be OK but certain styles of riffles may be illegal due to being banned.

So as you can see it is NOT very cut and dry. Unfortunately the tried by 12 mentality may work until you get caught for something silly then end up in prison. Also keep in mind the idea of self defense is VERY different even in the courts across the US. On the left coast the current SUPREME COURT ruling (9th circuit maybe?) is you have NO right to carry a firearm in public for self defense only reason. Here in the 1st judicial district the Supreme COurt rules you DO have a right... Very strange..
I agree with most, but be careful of handgunlaw.US. Good general site, but I highly recommend checking the state's website for weapons carry. The info on Handgunlaw for ID is technically incorrect by state law for RV carry.

And be careful when visiting national parks, national forests and BLM lands. Since they follow the laws of the state they are located in, if the park, forest cross over into different states, you might be legal in one, but illegal in another. (Note: some national parks have multiple juristictions. Canyon De Chelly is controlled by the Feds and also the Navajo Nation, and from my understanding you might want to follow Navajo law and place the gun in the glovebox or trunk just to be safe.

Example is Yellowstone. If you have a permit from any State to carry concealed you are legal in the ID part of the park, but you might NOT be legal in MT or WY (ID recognizes all State issued permits, MT and WY only recognize certain State permits), the same is true of National Forests and BLM lands, and they do not always have a sign stating you are crossing into another state.

I know some Federal Law Enforcement Rangers who have nailed people for carrying illegally on Federal lands (Park, Forest and BLM) cause the person did not pay attention to the State they were in. They were NOT stopped for gun carry (unless it was open), they were stopped for other reasons and the Ranger became aware of the gun at that time.

And be careful in Indian reservations. Example; Navajo Nation Monument Valley...place it in the trunk or glove box. However, you can carry legally on the major highways that go through a reservation such as Hwy 163 through Monument Valley as long as you remain on the state's right of way.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #32
Who Dares, Wins

You are correct. All these sites are for reference only.. Only as good as the person who maintains them. These laws can and sometimes do change daily. This includes the states Web sites.. Sadly. We have things (not gun related) that are illegal and enforced in PA that is not on the Web page that shows the crimes code (what we call our book of laws) because the site has not been updated this year.

I just got dinged by my Township for not having a work permit. I was told to follow the Web page and complete the forms as applicable by the Township. I did and found I was exempt from the permit. A week later the enforcement officer showed up and cited me, the Web page is wrong... But I get dinged.. So!

That being said they are a good reference but a phone call might be needed.. But that might not even be good.. Could be the district attorney you are speaking to or his janitor.. It's a pain.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post

As long as you stay on the Interstate Freeway system and do not get off for any reason at all, Federal laws allow you to legally transport through an illegal state as long as you are coming from a state that is legal and going to a another state that is also legal.

New York is a really big state.
Please reply to this with the applicable regulation that allows this. The individual states have control over the Interstate systems within their own borders so I am a bit skeptical.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #34

18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

RED: This means you must be legal to own that gun in the state you start in, and legal in the state you are going to end up in.
So, if the gun is legal in North Carolina, but NOT legal in CA, it would not be legal under the Code. And that is all I will say on this...

There is NO stipulation that you must transport via interstate hwys, you could legally do it on county roads.

MOST STATES, would have NO problem if you stopped to fillup, or have something to eat. Some states would consider a motel stop OK, since once you enter the hotel/motel it is considered a part-time residence. (BUT THAT CAN BE INTERPRETED BY STATE LAWS AND COULD CAUSE PROBLEMS.)

At one time, NY state was arresting people who were flying LEGALLY with a gun in their checked baggage and stopped over either to switch planes and they left the airport with their baggage and gun, or were stranded in NYC with their baggage and gun. SO it can get very tricky. (Not sure if they continue to do so due to lawsuits. But NOT sure).

However, that is why it is desirable to avoid some states.

Another example was before the new laws in IL, someone transporting a gun per Title 18 in the northern part of the state might encounter problems you would not encounter in southern IL.

And NJ used to be notorious for arresting people tranporting guns via Title 18; state troopers would arrest, hold, but the prosecutor would just throw it out. They were sued many times since it was total harassment by the state troopers.

So even though Federal law allows it, some states will push it to the max and harass you which will end up costing time and expense.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #35

We always carry wherever we travel, but my wife and I are active police officers. I still contacted the rangers when we traveled to Yosemite. It can be a sticky subject with others though.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
Old 07-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #36
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneb236 View Post
We always carry wherever we travel, but my wife and I are active police officers. I still contacted the rangers when we traveled to Yosemite. It can be a sticky subject with others though.
A big "Thank You" to you and your wife for your service!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 07-26-2016, 11:07 AM   #37
Site Team

Thank you all for your contributions in this sensitive thread. Lots of pertinent information here. Being retired Leo myself, I was tempted to offer some information also, but it appears anything I could have offered has been covered.
Be safe. Be wise. Check your resources. 🚓

Old 07-26-2016, 11:25 AM   #38

Good thread ! Thanks for the info !
Old 07-26-2016, 11:43 AM   #39

I won't comment either way on ShermanD's post, but I wills say that handgunlaw.us is the best source of info available. It is continually updated as laws change. I check it each time I leave my home state. And no, I won't be spending my time or money in the northeast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
A big "Thank You" to you and your wife for your service!
It's a pleasure. Thank you back for caring. I'm not worried about me, but I do worry about my wife. Thankfully she's crime scene now so not always at the front lines.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
Closed Thread