Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2021, 03:09 PM   #1

First long distance trip

Hello RV fam!! Iím about to make my first long distance trip from Texas to Indiana!! Iím pulling my Ď21 prime time avenger with a Ď10 Chevy Silverado 1500. Any tips, tricks, pointers? I do plan on making the trip over 1.5-2 weeks to make it easier on my truck since Iíll be pulling right at itís capacity. Would appreciate any advice!!!!
Lisaortiz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Are you asking about travel advice or towing advice?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:40 PM   #3

Miles per Day

One thing you may realize is that miles pulling a trailer are slower and more tiring than just driving a car. We are doing our first long trip starting in 3 weeks and plan to drive no more than 300 miles/day. And always spending at least two nights at a stop so we can go off and do things...

After reading a lot of posts here, we dialed back after hearing that 400-500 miles in a day can be pretty brutal...
Tom 2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:42 PM   #4

Quote:
I do plan on making the trip over 1.5-2 weeks to make it easier on my truck since Iíll be pulling right at itís capacity. Would appreciate any advice!!!!
Yes slow and steady... stop to smell the roses, or wildflowers currently blooming. I personally like to use the many 4 lane US Route hiways that have been built in the past 20 or so years that go thru or close to the small towns that you usually zoom past on the interstates.

Keep an eye ( or touch with your hand) the hub and tire temps at every stop and react IF you feel one hub or tire that feels warmer then the others ( taking into account if the sun is shining on that side). This is usually an indication of a pending problem.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Are you asking about travel advice or towing advice?
Either!! The more the merrier!
Old 04-17-2021, 05:52 PM   #6

Yes thank you!! I do plan on enjoying every bit.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 2424 View Post
One thing you may realize is that miles pulling a trailer are slower and more tiring than just driving a car. We are doing our first long trip starting in 3 weeks and plan to drive no more than 300 miles/day. And always spending at least two nights at a stop so we can go off and do things...

After reading a lot of posts here, we dialed back after hearing that 400-500 miles in a day can be pretty brutal...

I didnít think about that. Thank you!! Lots to take into consideration
Old 04-18-2021, 03:54 AM   #8

Hopefully you are already equipped with a weight distribution hitch and some sort of anti sway device.

Don’t feel pressure to keep up with traffic. Drive at a speed you are comfortable with.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaortiz4 View Post
Hello RV fam!! Iím about to make my first long distance trip from Texas to Indiana!! Iím pulling my Ď21 prime time avenger with a Ď10 Chevy Silverado 1500. Any tips, tricks, pointers? I do plan on making the trip over 1.5-2 weeks to make it easier on my truck since Iíll be pulling right at itís capacity. Would appreciate any advice!!!!
What engine size does that 1500 have? I think the issue with any truck is how you drive it, not the distance. If it is your first trip, take some tome and figure out a strategy for fueling up. Remember you are now going to be getting 8-12 MPG. Have fun! Let us know how it progresses.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:23 AM   #10

First off welcome to the forum having graduated from ASU the North Shore of Angelo state park is one of my favorite places within 3 hours of the house to camp. As for long trips we try one a year. I enjoy driving whether pulling a trailer or not. The reason for the trip dictates how far I drive a day. If I want to spend time at my final location I push hard not only do I get their in fewer days with more days to enjoy. I also save money by not staying more places while traveling less hook up un hooks. However like this summer I plan to go to the northwest. I plan on pushing hard until I get to Oregon then once there I will only travel 4-5 hours each time we move locations, staying multiple nights. However other than Moab I will push hard to get home.

If you have questions about your trucks performance take a weekend head to Abilene State park. Going thru Bronte will give you a small ideal of how you will do but itís only two hours away. Itís a great excuse to visit a great park ( stay away from wagon wheel). Most importantly enjoy
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:11 PM   #11
Tundra 2014

Trip

Plan on a max of 350 miles a day. You are new to it, you will be moving slower than you are used to and stopping more frequently for fuel. When driving long distances we try to do the longer days early in the drive. We have found for us, 2-1 night stops and then a 2 day stop at a point of interest works. We have taken many 4- 8 week trips over the last 7 years. We learned to plan less stops and enjoy more/rush less.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:25 PM   #12

Try to plan ahead on fuel stops and use google earth to check out pump locations and ease of access. Small convenience stores may get you stuck.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:00 PM   #13

Is that 1.5 to 2 weeks one way or round trip?

You've got a journey of around 1200 miles which at 300 miles a day will get you there in about 4 days which is reasonable. If you've got to be there at a specific time, build in another day just in case you don't feel well or have trouble.

Then make reservations at campgrounds along the way at around 300 miles apart. If you're the only driver, consider making the distance between 250 miles or less. and add another day to your plans. Plan to pull into the campground well before dark so that you can hookup with plenty of light.

Of course, if that trip is 2 weeks one way, plan to make longer stops along the route.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
What engine size does that 1500 have? I think the issue with any truck is how you drive it, not the distance. If it is your first trip, take some tome and figure out a strategy for fueling up. Remember you are now going to be getting 8-12 MPG. Have fun! Let us know how it progresses.
5.8 v8
Old 04-19-2021, 09:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
First off welcome to the forum having graduated from ASU the North Shore of Angelo state park is one of my favorite places within 3 hours of the house to camp. As for long trips we try one a year. I enjoy driving whether pulling a trailer or not. The reason for the trip dictates how far I drive a day. If I want to spend time at my final location I push hard not only do I get their in fewer days with more days to enjoy. I also save money by not staying more places while traveling less hook up un hooks. However like this summer I plan to go to the northwest. I plan on pushing hard until I get to Oregon then once there I will only travel 4-5 hours each time we move locations, staying multiple nights. However other than Moab I will push hard to get home.

If you have questions about your trucks performance take a weekend head to Abilene State park. Going thru Bronte will give you a small ideal of how you will do but itís only two hours away. Itís a great excuse to visit a great park ( stay away from wagon wheel). Most importantly enjoy
Nice to see someone around my parts!!! Obvious idea that I didnít think of, taking a small trip prior!
Thank you!
Old 04-19-2021, 09:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Try to plan ahead on fuel stops and use google earth to check out pump locations and ease of access. Small convenience stores may get you stuck.
Google earth,got it!
Old 04-19-2021, 09:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Is that 1.5 to 2 weeks one way or round trip?

You've got a journey of around 1200 miles which at 300 miles a day will get you there in about 4 days which is reasonable. If you've got to be there at a specific time, build in another day just in case you don't feel well or have trouble.

Then make reservations at campgrounds along the way at around 300 miles apart. If you're the only driver, consider making the distance between 250 miles or less. and add another day to your plans. Plan to pull into the campground well before dark so that you can hookup with plenty of light.

Of course, if that trip is 2 weeks one way, plan to make longer stops along the route.
A two week one way trip!! Thank you!!
Old 04-19-2021, 10:41 AM   #18
Pseudonym

Brand new to towing. I towed 150 miles home from the dealer, through Dallas. This was the first time ever pulling a travel trailer too - nothing to it, just got to get used to making lane changes. Then I just did 1000 miles in a day at 70mph the entire way. Filled up every 200 miles. It wasn't a bad drive at all. Nice easy driving along I20 from Texas to SC. Took about 16 hours, 14 of which were in the driver's seat.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:25 AM   #19

A long trip is just a bunch of short trips strung together. I add a few more tools, fire starter, free standing tarp, an axe, etc. Otherwise it is not that different.

If you are in a hurry with an RV you are doing it wrong.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:42 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaortiz4 View Post
5.8 v8
No such engine size for the Silverado. You probably mean the 5.3 v-8.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote