Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2018, 08:09 AM   #1

First "real" big trip

Taking our first big trip in August. Yellowstone, Glacier, Black Hills etc. Just looking for any advice or opinion on preferred places to stay at West Glacier and in Black Hills. (Have 38' Cedar Creek fiver and Chevy 3500 dually. Would guess length at 50' or so) Have done lots of research but first hand knowledge beats all the best research. Thanks in advance. Good travels to all.
hollandsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:16 AM   #2

Lots of nice places to stay in the Black Hills area. We stayed at the Rafter J and had a great time. Custer in nice too. Book early!
Link:https://www.rafterj.com/
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandsam View Post
... (Have 38' Cedar Creek fiver and Chevy 3500 dually. Would guess length at 50' or so) ....
Off topic to the original question, but I'm skeptic of your 50' estimate. I've done a lot of math recently in order to fit our choices of new camper and truck in our 47' 10" driveway, and with our choices of a 32' fiver and F250 SB we still might be 4" or so into the road. If that's a LB Chevy, it wouldn't surprise me to see your total length is closer to 60' than 50'.

Just want to make sure you got your sizes right. I haven't been there, but I hear a lot of places can be be tight in the Black Hills and you don't want to find out you can't fit until after you're there.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandsam View Post
Taking our first big trip in August. Yellowstone, Glacier, Black Hills etc. Just looking for any advice or opinion on preferred places to stay at West Glacier and in Black Hills. (Have 38' Cedar Creek fiver and Chevy 3500 dually. Would guess length at 50' or so) Have done lots of research but first hand knowledge beats all the best research. Thanks in advance. Good travels to all.

West Yellowstone is nice, Grizzly RV is a great park, book early. I would book now at the places I wanted to camp at. We have stayed at West Glacier. I would hook up and take a tape measure out, it’s like someone said you will be closer to 60 feet. I have extended cab Silverado 3500 SRW and a 32RL Cedar Creek and I’m 52 feet. You dually is a crew cab. We enjoy camping out west. Fishing Bridge is already booked in Yellowstone but you could call. We use rvparky and rvparksandcampgrounds apps to book all our spots. We never get tired of Yellowstone. By all means see Old Faithful and at the Inn they have a great lunch buffet.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Lots of nice places to stay in the Black Hills area. We stayed at the Rafter J and had a great time. Custer in nice too. Book early!
Link:https://www.rafterj.com/
X2 on Rafter J Bar. A bit pricey, but exceptional campground. Very roomy spots, easily take your rig. Its in Hill City, and your just a few miles from Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, Custer Park, Needles Drive.
Stayed there twice in past 3 years, and would go again.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:59 PM   #6

There is a rv Park not far from Rapid City at Hermosa, it’s a Passport America club. You don’t have to be a member to stay there. The rv park is Heartland RV Park that’s not very expensive. We don’t stay in rv parks except to sleep. Passport America doesn’t cost to much to join and it’s half off, you can just stay in one of there parks for four days and it will save the membership fee. We don’t like Camping World but we have and use Good Sam, it’s ten percent off. We save when we can.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:06 PM   #7

we are booked in at Custer,SD KOA and also at Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone,MT in early June for a week
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:18 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Hi Rider
First "real" big trip

Think about staying at a site either in Red Lodge, MT; Big Timber; MT or even in the Northeast part of Yellowstone. Then drive the Bear Tooth Highway if you haven't done it yet.

Two of my favorite MT RV parks are:

The Nugget RV Park. 105 Old Highway E, St. Regis, MT 59866. Phone: 406-649-2122. E-mail

Spring Creek Campground and Trout Ranch. 257 Main Boulder Rd, Big Timber, MT 59011
Phone: (406) 932-4387.
2020 - 162 Days and 5,359 Miles
2021 - 113 Days and 3,835 Miles
2022 - 35 Days and counting, and 3,372 Miles and counting
Hi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:50 PM   #9

You do not want to be in the Black Hills starting the 4th or 5th of August and until the 12th. 1. You won't find a place and most places are booked a year in advance. 2. Unless you have a toy hauler and hauling a motorcycle it won't be much fun for you.

It is the week of Sturgis. If you are traveling in the area please use extra caution. Especially on two lane roads. They will be wanting to get around you and I know you won't see them behind you. They will peak their heads out to see if it is clear to pass. I know because I use to do the trip. There will be large groups on the interstate as well.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #10

Sturgis

Sturgis is a motorcycle meet-up and gets pretty wild!
LannyCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannyCox View Post
Sturgis is a motorcycle meet-up and gets pretty wild!
Yep, one of my friends was riding his motorcycle in the campground naked. Glad I was not staying at that campground. I guess he took it literally when the campground was Bear Butte. He did keep his boots on I heard.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:07 PM   #12

Motorcycles will wake up the dead. I like Ocean Lakes campground in Myrtle Beach SC , no bike riding
Old 04-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #13

When visiting the southern Black Hills, we stayed in a great hilltop campground at Angostura State Rec Area. Long, paved, back-in, W/E sites, new restroom-shower building, a dump across the road, and a terrific view of the lake. We would gladly stay there again.

We stayed at the Custer SP's Sylvan Lake cg to visit the northern Black Hills based on its great reviews. Cramped, too short, W/E sites and no SP dump for 20 miles. Old , too small restroom-shower building and no views of the lake at all. We wouldn't go back there under any circumstances.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #14

We went to Custer SP and was in a line for bison crossing, we stayed in a bison jam for over a hour. When we finally made it the buffalo they started coming across the road and us with buffalo all around us, wow was that cool. Anyway we left the park and then found ourselves back in the park. A park ranger looked in my window and saw my Garmin and told me the Garmin would get us lost in the park, she was right. We ended up on the Needles Highway, we had to pull in our mirrors to get through. It was hailing on the side we went in and raining when we came out. Needless to say we got lost again on the way back to campground. Well as long as I have a full tank of diesel I’m not lost, just taking the scenic tour. Camping is fun