Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2018, 12:08 PM   #1

From Maryland to California Part 1

Hello all,

I am planning a trip from Maryland to California that will last for several months, that is why I added Part 1 to the title, I will be seeking additional advice from you as the trip proceeds.

Due to family matters the 1st leg of my trip will be to Santa Cruz, CA where I plan to stay for around 2 weeks so my questions will revolve around this part of the trip.

1) Please suggest some places around Santa Cruz to stay. I am open to staying in various locations including state / national parks, regular campgrounds and " RV resorts ". I do not mind moving around a few times just for the change of scenery. If possible, when recommending locations, add your favorite spots in the facility.

2) I plan to stop in Arizona for a few days on the way there. I would like your recommendation on a place to stay there for about 3 days. I am thinking about a nice resort on a lake or other scenic area, just for a little peaceful R & R.

3) Last but not least, we are leaving Maryland in January so I am looking for route options. I know this is weather dependent and the default route would be to head south down I95 and head west somewhere in Georgia, either taking I10 or getting on I40. If you could recommend a different route I should consider that would knock a day or two off the travel time, that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions
colmbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:07 PM   #2

Just a request post pictures & info of places you stayed & visited as you travel that will help others planning a similar. If you decide on I 10 I can give info on campgrounds close to I 10 on TX, & Az
billy bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:26 PM   #3

Personally I would avoid the 40 in NM/AZ, go the southern route via the 10 then hook back up with the 40 in CA.

Enjoy your trip, some day I'll be planning our epic adventure.

Safe and happy travels.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:27 PM   #4

Depending on the weather report when you leave, you could go down through Virginia and across I-64 or into Tennessee and across I-40, then angle down to I-10, depending on the weather reports during your trip. Map out a few alternatives ahead of time.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #5

If you want to be super cautious, at that time of year, I'd take I 10. However, I 20 is also an option if the weather holds. If it's a snowy winter, you're going to run into snow on I 20. I 20 eventually merges onto I 10.

We have an offbeat place we like near Tucson, AZ. It's in a county park, Gilbert Ray Campground Gilbert Ray Campground - Pima County.

It's just down the road from two attractions, Old Tucson(the site of many movies and tv shows) and the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. Very quiet campground, not a lot of facilities, but if you want a real desert camping experience, it's ideal for a 3 day rest. Bring lots of water to drink if you're camping in the desert, no matter what time of year. (They do have water stations to fill your fresh water tank.)
Old 11-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Santa Cruz camping spots are in high demand year-round, even in the winter.
Depending on when you arrive, will dictate availability.
State park campsites, in the area, are booked 6 months in advance for much of the year.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:32 PM   #7
Multi-Slacker

If you take the southern route and want to visit Sedona, Az consider the Zane Grey RV Park in Camp Verde. It's an adults only park whose primary attraction is peace and quiet. We stayed there for 4 nights a couple weeks ago and used it as a base camp while we checked out Sedona, Jerome and Clarkdale. It is snowbird season and they may not have any site availability then so best to call.

Snowbird season means there is extra pressure on any parks or campgrounds that are near any attraction (Beaches, lakes, streams, mountains and deserts). There are precious few lakes in southern AZ or CA. Not being the wing-it type, I'd drop to the 10 and reserve my stops along the way.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:44 PM   #8

The best advice is to watch the weather and plan ahead. I would take a more southerly route. I-20 was mentioned and that is an excellent choice that takes you around the Appalachian mountains. The weather across Texas has been sort of strange over the last few months, so there is no telling what will happen in January. Be ready to swing farther south to I-10 if the weather turns icy or snowy. No way I would take I-40 across from Little Rock AR to Albuquerque NM. Recently, Amarillo received 6" of snow and I-40 was closed from the Oklahoma/Texas State Line to the east edge of Albuquerque. If you run into something like this, expect to stay put for several days until the roads are cleared to allow traffic to pass.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:00 PM   #9

place to stay in Santa Cruz

I highly recommend the Santa Cruz Redwoods RV resort. It would be a good idea to make reservations now as it does fill up, especially during the summer and on all weekends. Staff are especially friendly and helpful. Its located on hwy 9 in Felton Ca.

Hwy 9 between the park and Santa Cruz is not recommended for RV's. We come in from 101 to hwy 17 getting off at Mt Hermon Rd. I would ask for directions when making reservations.

Santa Cruz Redwoods RV Resort in Felton, CA 95018
lindalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:49 PM   #10

Wahweap RV & Campground in Page AZ is very nice and overlooks Lake Powell. We stayed there 2 years ago for 3 nights while doing the Grand Canyon thing. The campsite RV parking is on a slab, but you can have a campfire.
Camaro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalee View Post
I highly recommend the Santa Cruz Redwoods RV resort. It would be a good idea to make reservations now as it does fill up, especially during the summer and on all weekends. Staff are especially friendly and helpful. Its located on hwy 9 in Felton Ca.

Hwy 9 between the park and Santa Cruz is not recommended for RV's. We come in from 101 to hwy 17 getting off at Mt Hermon Rd. I would ask for directions when making reservations.

Santa Cruz Redwoods RV Resort in Felton, CA 95018
X2 and really! do get directions when you make your reservation. One of the routes in is way to tight for bringing in a trailer.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:33 PM   #12
code.org

X2 on Santa Cruz Redwoods RV Resort. We were there in late September and loved camping among the redwoods.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	506C8F90-866E-412B-9D19-36A47A0632FD.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	192373  
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:13 PM   #13

Need More Info

I live and have camped in the general area. Unless I missed, please give us the following info: Are you driving or towing, size, do you need full hookups, how far (driving time) from Santa Cruz are you willing to be on a daily basis? I do agree, that time of year, southern route is a must. Best advice for this trip is to leave as early as possible and take your time in winter weather.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:17 PM   #14

Agree with those who recommend a southern route rather than I-40 or I-70. Winter weather can be in the form of blizzards. There are dozens of interesting stops along the way before you get to California.

We have stayed in the KOA just south of Santa Cruz many times, and it has all the amenities you might find attractive. A bit pricey, but they will probably have lots of sites available in your time frame. Close enough to San Francisco for a day trip, closer still to Monterey, Carmel, and the Big Sur coast.

If you go I-10, once you get into New Mexico, there are great spots to stay near Las Cruces, then again in Arizona near Phoenix. If you have never seen the Grand Canyon, you might want to veer north from Phoenix to Williams and stay at the Grand Canyon Railroad RV Resort on I-40. Easy day trip to the south rim. Then easy day trip to Las Vegas and Sam's Town RV Park. Spend a few days, then on to California.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:26 AM   #15

You may want to check out the Santa Cruz Marina RV park. It's operated by the city and very central for visiting the area. It's just a parking area with full hookups and right at the north harbor. Restaurants nearby and walking trails. 831-475-3279
myclmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:32 AM   #16

Many thanks to all who have replied, I now have enough info to be dangerous for the first leg of this trip. Looking forward to the replies for Part 2, 3 and 4.

Thanks again.

Colm
colmbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:26 PM   #17

Following your trip, enjoy.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california