Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2021, 11:45 AM   #1

GAS Station Fueling when Towing

My years (2012 to current) RVing are relatively short compared to many. My first RV was a 39’ TT, then I had a 35’ 5th wheel, then went to a 35’ Class A DP and in 2020 I downsized to a 25’ Vibe. Up until my Vibe all my tow vehicles and Class A were diesel so fueling up was never really a concern for me. I just used the truck lanes at trucking stations like Pilot, Flying J and others …. life was simple …. At least fueling up when traveling was.

My tow vehicle for my Vibe is a 2019 F150, 6.5 bed, so a 157” WB so my fueling up has to now be at the pumps out front, a situation I have not had to do since I’ve been RVing. So I’m hoping some of you who have been dealing with fueling (gas) for more years than me can offer me some tips, tricks, best practices for fueling up while towing?

I am a planner for trips I take, using google satellite views and street views to look at possible fuel stops. But my concerns are the swing of the rear of the TT as I attempt to pull out from a pump. When I look at fuel stations, it seems it is tight from the pumps to the store front where cars are parked (see photo). For me, its hard to look at a Satellite Image and determine if there is enough room (Yellow Line area) to pull far enough out to make the turn and not have the trailer tail clip the pump (making a right) or clip a car at the adjacent pump if turning left.

I am sure once I have to deal with fueling up when towing and get some experience, this won’t be such a concern.

So, any tips, tricks, general guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you. Safe travels.
-Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PilotStation.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	247413  
2019 F150 Screw, 6.5 bed, 3.5 Twin Turbo EcoBoost
w/ Trailer Tow Package - Yellow Sticker Payload : 1810 lbs. (sold)
RGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:55 AM   #2

An ongoing bad trend in fuel station layout for cars has been to orient the pump lanes perpendicular to the store front. You can easily get pinned in by people parking or dallying in front of the store. I have on rare occasions had to wait for a vehicle to move in order to be able to get clearance to exit. Outside lanes give you the most flexibility with a long vehicle. If you can, first pull in past the store front, then pick a pump lane pointing out away from the store. That way no one in front of the store can block you from exiting. I like to look for stations with the lanes oriented parallel to the store front.

The average car driver may not know or care what your RV's maneuvering ability is, so they sometimes unknowingly or un-caringly block you in.

Pilot and Flying J usually have more maneuvering space and often have special RV gasoline/Diesel lanes. They have a phone app that finds their locations and lists whether the station has RV lanes. I'm not sure what Loves offers in the way of RV lanes.

Walmart often allows RVs to stay overnight in their parking lots, but you can almost forget about pulling a trailer into a Murphy station. They are some of the tiniest fuel stations out there, almost intentionally designed to keep out RVs and boat trailers.

I also pull up to the pump 5 feet or more away (if space and hose length allows) to minimize the chance of motorhome or trailer swing from hitting the pump or a post.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:11 PM   #3

You have a good start to solving the problem, looking at the satellite view of your potential fuel stops is the best thing to do unless someone can give you first hand knowledge of a particular station. The one in your picture is one I would pass on with the Motor Home.

I use RV Trip Wizard to plan my routes so I know about where I will need fuel. I first look for Flying J as they seem to be the most likely to have a dedicated RV lane. TA stations also sometimes have the RV lanes. The newer Love’s often have a pretty good distance between the pumps and the building so they sometimes work as well. I always check the satellite photos to see if I feel confident about getting in and out. If I have to use a fuel station where there might be an issue getting in and out I do like BehindBars said and try to use the end pumps so there is more room to swing around.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:57 PM   #4

One thing I found extremely helpful in this situation and making turns in general is the mirrors. In particular how you use them. I end up with 3 mirrors on both sides of my TV. One of them is always dedicated to being able to watch the tires on trailer. Works for me. YMMV.

I am considering adding more cameras also. Can never have enough cameras.

Good luck.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
An ongoing bad trend in fuel station layout for cars has been to orient the pump lanes perpendicular to the store front. You can easily get pinned in by people parking or dallying in front of the store. I have on rare occasions had to wait for a vehicle to move in order to be able to get clearance to exit. Outside lanes give you the most flexibility with a long vehicle. If you can, first pull in past the store front, then pick a pump lane pointing out away from the store. That way no one in front of the store can block you from exiting. I like to look for stations with the lanes oriented parallel to the store front.

The average car driver may not know or care what your RV's maneuvering ability is, so they sometimes unknowingly or un-caringly block you in.

Pilot and Flying J usually have more maneuvering space and often have special RV gasoline/Diesel lanes. They have a phone app that finds their locations and lists whether the station has RV lanes. I'm not sure what Loves offers in the way of RV lanes.

Walmart often allows RVs to stay overnight in their parking lots, but you can almost forget about pulling a trailer into a Murphy station. They are some of the tiniest fuel stations out there, almost intentionally designed to keep out RVs and boat trailers.

I also pull up to the pump 5 feet or more away (if space and hose length allows) to minimize the chance of motorhome or trailer swing from hitting the pump or a post.
-->Great tips here, like pulling in to the pumps from the store side so you're pointing out, the 5 foot from the pump. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
You have a good start to solving the problem, looking at the satellite view of your potential fuel stops is the best thing to do unless someone can give you first hand knowledge of a particular station. The one in your picture is one I would pass on with the Motor Home.

I use RV Trip Wizard to plan my routes so I know about where I will need fuel. I first look for Flying J as they seem to be the most likely to have a dedicated RV lane. TA stations also sometimes have the RV lanes. The newer Love’s often have a pretty good distance between the pumps and the building so they sometimes work as well. I always check the satellite photos to see if I feel confident about getting in and out. If I have to use a fuel station where there might be an issue getting in and out I do like BehindBars said and try to use the end pumps so there is more room to swing around.
--> Since I am a trip planner (I also use RV Trip Wizard), I have always planned all my campground and fuel stops. I will usually route the trip's campground stays and then go back and add my fuel stops. My last long trip was 2019 when I still had my MH, about 8000 miles (2.5 months) and I had every fuel stop added on RV Trip Wizard. Of course with the MH being diesel it was easier and I had a 400-500 mile range. As I have started planning future trips with the F150 and Vibe, the satellite view of potential fuel stops has been always looking at the outside lanes. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
One thing I found extremely helpful in this situation and making turns in general is the mirrors. In particular how you use them. I end up with 3 mirrors on both sides of my TV. One of them is always dedicated to being able to watch the tires on trailer. Works for me. YMMV.

I am considering adding more cameras also. Can never have enough cameras.

Good luck.
--> With my MH I always used the mirrors, especially when backing into campsites and I would always lower my mirrors for a tire to edge of site reference view. But unlike the MH, as soon as I start to turn the Truck the mirror on the side opposite of my turn direction becomes quickly useless relative to seeing the trailer. So I am trying to consider that reality when I look at my pump exit turn options. I have a rear camera in the Vibe, side cameras maybe a consideration. I had them on the MH. Thank you.

My F150/Vibe 21BH is a new setup for me and due to COVID this past year I have gotten very little 'seat' time. With the hopes of longer, multi-stop trips planned in 2021, I'm sure my instincts about how my setup reacts will improve overtime and I will get better at looking at a gas station situation and know if it will work or not.

Thank you everyone for your replies and information.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:12 PM   #6

I don't know why fueling stations don't angle the pumps for consideration of long rigs. Especially the ones along the interstate. There are a few that do but they are few. Maybe us TV's should suggest it it them on line. Sometimes they listen if enough people complain.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 03:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
I don't know why fueling stations don't angle the pumps for consideration of long rigs. Especially the ones along the interstate. There are a few that do but they are few. Maybe us TV's should suggest it it them on line. Sometimes they listen if enough people complain.
I think the trend of running the pump lanes perpendicular to the store front is to give personnel in the store visibility to the pumps and the customers outside. With parallel (to the store front) or angled lanes, large vehicles could block the view of some pumps, where someone out there may be doing dirty deeds.

I think customer convenience takes a back seat to store security, and complaining about the station design probably won't help.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:25 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
An ongoing bad trend in fuel station layout for cars has been to orient the pump lanes perpendicular to the store front.
That's typically so that the employees can see your license plate. Especially if its a station that allows you to pump the gas without pre-paying.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 03:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
Yes, they would be great, but you're right I have not seen many.

I suppose the negative to angled pump islands is getting into the pump from the wrong direction. Unlike the normal bump island, it's a 90 degree turn from either direction. in and angled island setup it could be a 45 degree turn from one direction or 135 degree from the opposite.

But it would sure be nice for RVers!
Old 02-07-2021, 08:38 PM   #10

"RV Trip Wizard"...is this an app I can download? I can't find it for my Android phone.
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuB-IA2MI View Post
"RV Trip Wizard"...is this an app I can download? I can't find it for my Android phone.
It is a web site we pay an annual fe to use. It takes a bit of learning and is well worth it for me.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuB-IA2MI View Post
RV Trip Wizard
Old 02-07-2021, 09:59 PM   #13

Having a gasser, you have more choices of fuel pumps at about any fuel stop. I'm considerably longer than you and run a diesel. There is always a pump island on each end of the row of pumps that you have (by design) a bit more room to navigate. I just pull next to any end island even if I have to wait for a spot and fuel up without worry.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:55 AM   #14

I have dropped the TT once in a Wal Mart lot across from a gas station. I checked the station before the trip with google earth. The station was ok, but so dam busy I didn't want to chance a bad situation. Was worth the time. I would not hesitate to do it again if needed.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
I have dropped the TT once in a Wal Mart lot across from a gas station. I checked the station before the trip with google earth. The station was ok, but so dam busy I didn't want to chance a bad situation. Was worth the time. I would not hesitate to do it again if needed.
Yes that is a an option. Thank you.

Being retired, time isn't as critical as it once was when vacation time put a different value on that time, I am in no rush. So I plan around a 300 mile day with most of my trips and at 10+ mpg when I have towed and a 36 gallon tank in my F150, I could make it from CG to CG with not needing to stop for fuel. I'd just unhook when I got in to the CG and fill up and be ready for the next trip leg. But I have towed 400- 500 miles in a day of a few legs of some past trips. It all depends where the trip is to. So I do want to develop a comfort with filling up while still hooked up and will with the tips and tricks I have learned in this thread and of course more 'seat time'.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:32 AM   #16

- X2 on entering from store side if possible.

- I try to use outside pumps even if i need to wait.
- I really avoid pumps that will require a right turn to leave since you cannot see the left rear of the trailer slide past the pumps and crash bars.

- Well, I also try to avoid stations that will need those considerations.
- I've also taken explorer/pup through truck lane when gas was also available there and front lanes were packed. (Neither the trucker that showed up behind me nor the cashier seemed put out). I've not had reason to do so with the F150/Roo.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:40 AM   #17

Yep. Flying J and Google Maps are your friends. I always look at map and plan on rest stops about every 100 miles and gas every 200 miles. It makes a good safety factor. One thing I suggest is to add these to your “places” list in Google Maps. That way you have them for future trips.
Green are rest stops. Yellow are rv size gas stations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6F53FD56-52DC-4BF1-8452-84B50F26EF4D.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	247447  
Old 02-08-2021, 09:53 AM   #18
llr

I don't worry about it much and about half the time I back out instead of pulling through, I always take the furthest pump when doing this. This gives a lot more options, there are still stations I would never use with a TT. If the station is busy my wife gets out and watches otherwise the TT camera is enough. When I had a class A with a toad its much more challenging as you can't backup without disconnecting.

Of course if you can time the stops without the TT that is the best and what I do most of the time.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
I don't worry about it much and about half the time I back out instead of pulling through, I always take the furthest pump when doing this. This gives a lot more options, there are still stations I would never use with a TT. If the station is busy my wife gets out and watches otherwise the TT camera is enough.....
This is my exact strategy as well. Never had a situation where I couldn't back out if necessary.
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:15 PM   #20

Just want to say RV Trip Wizard looks cool. I'm gonna look into that more.

To answer the OP, I typically use google map sat view to see the layout of a station before I get to it, and try to stick to the outside pumps, even if it means I wait. Sometimes it also means I stop sooner or later, because some stations are just unusable.

If I have to use a pump where I will be between 2 pumps and not on the outside, I usually stay as far away from the pump I'm using to accommodate for the pumps/crash bars/etc. Of course on these rare occasions, it always seems someone with a large vehicle still manages to squeeze in on the other side. Not that I'm trying to block them, I'm just trying to get in and out of that area as fast as I can. I can't fault them.

I also plan before going on a trip, and before leaving to come back from one to hit the gas station and fuel up, just so its one less thing to deal with.

More often than not, when I'm with the trailer its the outside pump.
{Tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, gas, towing