Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
Retired

Going West

We are planning an early summer trip to Johnstown OH than onto Ames, IA from western Mass.
What would be your choice I90 through NY or I 80 through PA (only 11 miles difference to Johnstown)? Looking for any insights you have on I90 vs I80 . We will be hauling a 5er on this trip. Any recommended CGs along the way?

Thanks for your inputs
Happy Trails
Old 02-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #2

Haven’t done it in 40 years but you used to be able to stop And mine herkimer diamonds in places around herkimer ny.
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:31 AM   #3

My daughter lives outside of Boston and we are in Toledo, oh. Have driven a couple of times once pulling at TT. Other than crossing the Berkshires there is not much of elevation issues on I-90. I-80 has a couple of longer grades, but still nothing really difficult. Both a good roads, but my preference is I-90. We stopped in a KOA outside of Rochester for an overnight when we came across with the TT.
rocknroos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:49 AM   #4

Just drove I 80 last summer from just above State College Pa. and it was a decent drive, just remember 90 in NY is a toll road, only 11 miles more I would choose 80 but I usually am charged a higher toll rate with our rig. I went that route for a change from the Pa turnpike.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote