Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2017, 09:25 PM   #1

Heading out West, where to go...

We are planning to go out west from Rochester, NY Aug 2018. Four kids and a wife. Current route is:

Grand Canyon
Lake Powell
Zion
Bryce
Arches/Canyonlands

From Moab/Arches...We are trying to decide if we should head to Rocky Mount NP then home...or head to Mesa Verde and to Great Sand Dunes then home.

Been Playing with the idea of going up to Steamboat and find the Hot Springs pools for the kids...or head to Colorado Springs for Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak.

Any suggestions? We have about six days to use leaving Moab and before we start the long drive home.

I even toyed with the idea of skipping Arches and heading to Vegas and to Sequoia and Yosemite, but that's a pretty big undertaking for us.
One other idea was skipping Arches and heading up to Salt Lake City, and then over to Dinosaur NM and then RMNP or Steamboat hot springs.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2 Gooseneck Mount
mekkerlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:36 PM   #2
Scoundrel

I'd recommend going to Steamboat and RMNP and avoid the Colorado front range until you have to drive through it on your way home (this includes Colorado Springs). Traffic congestion along the Fort Collins, Boulder, Denver, Colorado Springs corridor is terrible. Sand Dunes and the San Luis Valley are beautiful and easy driving. Steamboat, Grand Lake, RMNP are extremely beautiful - a little tougher drive coming down Trail Ridge Rd in RMNP but worth it.

Safe travels,
Rich J.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:06 AM   #3
Road Trippin

If you can make it out to Yosemite or sequoia/kings canyon I would definitely do that over Vegas. Don't get me wrong, we love vegas but fly there. From the sound of your trip, Yosemite and the Sequoias will be more enjoyable.
pismolocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:06 AM   #4

We just did this trip from Maryland, got back five days ago. We went out I70, did Pikes peak and Garden of the Gods. Then continued on 70 into Utah. We hit Denver around 10 am on a Thursday and had no issues with traffic. The climb up the pass and through the Eisenhower tunnel was good. I 70 west of Vail is a very scenic road. We then went to Bryce. We camped there and did a day trip to Zion, turns out Bryce was cooler than Zion so camping was more comfortable. Daytime temps in Bryce was in the high 80s while Zion was 101. We then went to the Grand Canyon, hit Hoover dam then the petrified Forest, meteor crater, canyon DeChyelle and home via I-40 through New Mexico, Oklahoma, Tennessee and virginia.
We did not have time to do arches though we went right by it. There is so much to see and we had only three weeks....we had to pick what we wanted to see most. It was a blast of a trip. Will have to plan another trip out there LOL. (This is our second big trip, five years ago we did Yellowstone, another great trip)

You don't mention the ages of your kids; my folks took me to the Grand canyon and the petrified Forest when I was 12. I remember some things about the trip but I was not very impressed with the whole thing. The grand canyon was a big hole in the ground and the painted desert was bland and there was no petrified Forest (no trees standing ya know). Now as an adult and many years later, I was much more impressed. Just be prepared that the kids may only remember only the things that impressed them the most and the rest may be a blur.

So pick what you want to see and go for it. And things you miss, well another trip may be in your future..... It is for us.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran RV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekkerlc View Post
We are planning to go out west from Rochester, NY Aug 2018. Four kids and a wife. Current route is:

Grand Canyon
Lake Powell
Zion
Bryce
Arches/Canyonlands

From Moab/Arches...We are trying to decide if we should head to Rocky Mount NP then home...or head to Mesa Verde and to Great Sand Dunes then home.

Been Playing with the idea of going up to Steamboat and find the Hot Springs pools for the kids...or head to Colorado Springs for Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak.

Any suggestions? We have about six days to use leaving Moab and before we start the long drive home.

I even toyed with the idea of skipping Arches and heading to Vegas and to Sequoia and Yosemite, but that's a pretty big undertaking for us.
One other idea was skipping Arches and heading up to Salt Lake City, and then over to Dinosaur NM and then RMNP or Steamboat hot springs.
Having been to nearly all of these places. I would recommend Mesa Verde and Rocky Mtn NP. Mesa has some really cool ruins from the 10th-12th century and they allow you to tour some of the ruins. Ricky Mtn NP is just a cool place to visit and photograph. Skyline Drive goes up over 10,000 ft MSL. The views are fantastic! Choices....choices......choices!
Old 07-15-2017, 08:23 AM   #6

We made that same route, but reversed 2 years ago. i would plan another trip for Yosemite and Sequoia. Those alone with travel time will burn 4 or 5 days. (Then you can add the Redwoods National Park as well. )
Mesa Verde is impressive, so is Chaco Canyon there is a lot in that area. Newspaper Rock near Canyonlands, Petrified Forest the list is endless.
We made the mistake of trying to cram everything into one trip, if you are not careful travel will eat up all your time. You can always do a return trip to fill in the spots you missed. We plan on returning next summer.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:29 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pismolocal View Post
If you can make it out to Yosemite or sequoia/kings canyon I would definitely do that over Vegas. Don't get me wrong, we love vegas but fly there. From the sound of your trip, Yosemite and the Sequoias will be more enjoyable.
Yosemite and the Sequoias are a must-we hope to make it back someday. If your around Vegas check out a hilicopter ride to the floor of the Grand Canyon.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekkerlc View Post

Grand Canyon
Lake Powell
Zion
Bryce
Arches/Canyonlands

Whatever you decide will be great. My advice as a westerner though is that all the areas are spectacular and don't try to cram too much in as you'll want to spend extra time in the areas you like best. And "Save our public lands" from those who want to take them from us.
Stevejfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #9

All great choices. Can do Moab then down to Mesa Verde. Then to Great Sand Dunes. You will go thru Pagosa Springs which have great Hot Springs. A trip from there north to Buena Vista Co and view the line of 14000 foot mountains. From Buena Vista east to Colorado Springs (garden of the gods). If you can spend a couple of days in Durango and drive to Silverton. Great views of the mountains and history.
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #10

Living in Colo since 1956, we've hit all of them you mentioned. Be aware, Rocky Mtn NP is booked solid already this year, you'll need to camp outside of the park unless you hit a cancellation. Not a big deal, it doesn't take long to drive the park. We camped through southern Utah, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef NP, & Bryce won hands down, Cap Reef 2nd, Zion last. I have videos on my Youtube Channel if you'd like to look. Search for "Garland Style Camping". You'll see all our videos.

You'll LOVE Moab & Arches if you guys like hiking or off roading. The Great Sand Dunes NP, if you mean the ones in Colo, may be a bit disappointing. The south/mid area of Colo is not as nice as Mid/Northern Colo by far.

Not sure of the size of your rig or ages of children, but all the parks are gorgeous. That's a lotta distance to travel, and there are good drives between all the mentioned areas. Have a ball!
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #11

Lots of choices!
I live in CA so I've been to all these areas. Skip Vegas... Don't miss Arches! Bryce / Zion will be one stop then relocate to Moab for Arches / Canyonlands. To come to CA for those stops will take an added 3+ days driving alone.
Enjoy your trip to see the West!
Celicabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #12

Height restrictions

Are there any height restrictions on route? We are thinking of a similar trip next summer.
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #13

Trip out west

On the return trip would recommend Wall Drug, SD and while there see the deactivated Minuteman missile silo and launch commend center which are a little east of the city. Further east, there is the American Eagle Museum along the Mississippi River.
2006SunSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #14

Not sure of back east, but out here most tunnels are set-up for big rigs so that should not be an issue.
Good Sam travel planner web site can help & advise on your chosen route.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006SunSeeker View Post
On the return trip would recommend Wall Drug, SD and while there see the deactivated Minuteman missile silo and launch commend center which are a little east of the city. Further east, there is the American Eagle Museum along the Mississippi River.
I've been to the missile site also, worth the stop & time!!! Make resers.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OswegoLion View Post
Are there any height restrictions on route? We are thinking of a similar trip next summer.
We hit only 1 height restriction, that was in Zion NP if you exit the East entrance.
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #17

My two cents: Taylor Park in Gunnison County.

https://gunnisoncrestedbutte.com/exp...s/taylor-park/

Visit the old town of TINCUP, CO!

We had a blast last summer. Enjoy and safe travels!
2014 2500HD Duramax Crew 4WD
2015 Forest River Salem 30QBSS
JnScattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #18

I'm surprised to see no mention of Yellowstone Park. It is an incredible place, with lots of stops along that route (Rushmore, Devils Tower, badlands, etc.)
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #19

That's an ambitious trip you have planned there! I would add Capitol Reef NP on the way over to Canyon Lands and Arches NPs. You can still go to Mesa Verde NP (which is spectacular by the way) then on to Great San Dunes east of Alamosa. A suggestion: since you are still in the planning stages, you might consider taking the family to Chama NM to ride the Cumbres and Toltec Narrow Gauge Railroad then continue on to Great Sand Dunes. I think they would really enjoy seeing how transportation has changed since the early 20th Century to today. It takes about 6-7 hours and you should purchase the tickets in advance. It would require two overnight stays.

Going from Bryce to Salt Lake City is fine, but it is a long way from Rocky Mountain National Park and out of the way. I recommend the trip from Bryce to Capitol Reef over to Canyonlands via Blanding. You will get to see the north side of Lake Powell in the process. Things are a lot farther apart than they seem out here in the West.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:34 PM   #20

Royal Gorge Colorado

Google the Royal Gorge and you will be amazed at what you will find. I was born and raised in Colorado and know the Royal Gorge well from top to bottom having worked in the Gorge with the Denver and Rio Grand Rail Road that runs along the Arkansas River through the gorge and have visited the tourist attraction at the top with family several times. There is a 360-acre amusement park located along the edge of the Royal Gorge. The main attractions are the 1,260 ft suspension bridge that crosses the gorge, the inclined rail that takes people to the bottom where you can see river rafters going through the rough waters of the river, the zip lines the aerial gondolas that cross the gorge. Having explored most of Colorado and the West, this is my favorite place to visit. Google the Royal Gorge and you will see why.
Rick-s is offline   Reply With Quote