Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2020, 12:57 PM   #1
Fathermo

Highway 40

Planned a trip from central California to Georgia and was going highway 40 for a portion of the trip. Any information on that road condition would be a big help. Is there a better route?
Old 03-01-2020, 10:46 PM   #2

This past summer we took I40 from Albuquerque,NM to Asheville, NC. To finish our Rockies trip.
The road surface, for the most part was good. Is places there was some sluffing off of the asphalt. Some of the rest areas were trashy with road debris and ruts from all of the truck stopping. The busiest areas for us was Memphis. Many lanes, fast. This is where we had a minor incident. There was a 4x4 that we were able to straddle but the toad hit it. Pulled over to inspect. Luckily everything was OK except for a safety cable got damaged.
II is better than most but like all other highways, could use some work.
I just drove 60-65 right lane, watching the traffic go by. Hope this helps.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:13 AM   #3

I can’t tell you much more than what’s in Tennessee. I40 is in decent shape. Yes, Memphis is quite busy, try to time your trip through during non rush hour times or maybe a weekend. You can actually take I-840 around Nashville as completely miss the traffic there. Your final chance of traffic issues is in Knoxville. I’ve pulled through there several time, no issues.

Good luck!

2016 Ram 3500 Diesel DRW Limited
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 273QBXL
Jasdow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:56 AM   #4

we've been on the western parts of i-40 as far east as albuquerque. for the most part it is ok. the portion just to the west of flagstaff was terrible but most of that has been repaved. also i assume you will be taking ca-158 from bakersfield to barstow. it was in poorer shape but there was a large construction project to reroute portions of this road and to widen it to multi-lanes. we were there a year ago so i am assuming the construction should be done by now. there was also construction on us-99 through the central valley but you probably know that.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathermo View Post
Planned a trip from central California to Georgia and was going highway 40 for a portion of the trip.

Is there a better route?
You basically have three choices: I-40, I-10 or a patchwork of smaller highways where you wander your way across America.
For the quickest crossing, go I-10 (flatter, hotter - also depends on whether you're headed for the Northern or Southern part of Georgia); for a somewhat cooler and more scenic (it's all relative) crossing, go I-40; for the "We'll get there when we get there - Let's take a couple/three weeks and go see 'Merica" version, pick your route through all the highways and byways and small towns and forests, etc.
In terms of road quality, they all have their crappy aspects . . .
Old 03-16-2020, 07:15 AM   #6

Take I10 if you want to buy a new RV when you get where you are going. Very heavy truck traffic keeps the road surface trashed. The debris on the shoulder is your first clue.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:42 AM   #7

I drive I-10 frequently, the portion I travel is in good condition, and speed limit is 80. In Texas you have El Paso, San Antonio and Houston for large cities. That said., We did a trip to Alabama and we did hit a few rough patches in all the states we went thru. It’s been a few years but when I drive to Oregon I prefer I40 better scenery, cooler nights ( easier for trailer to cool off) and cooler days. Pros and cons of both
Old 03-16-2020, 09:21 AM   #8

It doesn't matter what interstate you use, they all have good stretches and bad. Can't say the surface condition of one is any worse or better than another over their entirety.
So take the interstate that fits the weather or destinations better.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #9

I drive Albuquerque to Ft. Smith, AR, every year and for the most part the roads are not too bad. Just east of ABQ there is an easy pass to go over. Some rough stretch of road around Santa Rosa. Major construction east of OKC. Funny thing is you know when you cross the state line (other than the big sign)... the road surfaces change.

Safe and happy travels.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote