Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #21

Plan accordingly and you should be fine. I use google maps to check out a place before getting there. Usually works fine but some places that looked like they had plenty of room were tighter than appeared. Don't be afraid to drop the camper and fuel up. The 20 minutes of time is much better than a wrecked camper, tow vehicle, or gas station. I have done it before. Station was tighter than appeared and very busy. Used the Wal Mart lot across the road to drop the camper. Fueled up and all was fine and undamaged.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:58 PM   #22

Since I am co-pliot the majority of the time, I will use google maps and gas buddy. If we use the truck lanes I go in while my husband pumps. I let him know when it is good to pump and then make my bathroom break and get us snacks or drinks.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:05 PM   #23
SJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
Hello, while cruising down the highway towards our destination, I needed gas. It made me wonder...
How do we find the gas station that is big enough for RVs?
I chose a QT and could not fit. What do big rig truckers do?
Is there a mysterious marker on the road? A trucker code I don’t know about?
We have a Garmin RV 770. Maybe it can help!
Anyone care to share their secrets?
We use the book Next Exit and the app iExit as they indicate "RV Friendly" gas stations. I also note in the margins of the book which stations were really good or bad. We also tend to look for the big truck stops - Loves, TA, etc. but stay away from Pilot as we've encountered too many that were really tight for gas trucks. I tried to talk my husband into buying a diesel truck so we could go where "the big boys go" but I lost that battle!
SJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:06 PM   #24

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Pilot flying J has an app that shows all of their stations across North America. They also put out a publication the size of a readers digest that shows all their North America locations with explanations of what services are provided. Should be able to pick that up at any pilot flying J location.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:06 PM   #25
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Hello, while cruising down the highway towards our destination, I needed gas. It made me wonder...
Not sure what you are driving/towing, but some posts in this thread with rigs about 25 feet think this is easy and don't understand anything about TV, TT or 5vs 55+ foot long.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:08 PM   #26

Most of you say how long, but is the roof hi enough to get a RV motor home under it. Mine is 12.5 high.
Dave Bulkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:55 PM   #27

Ah yes gas stations - what drives some of us nuts . A few years ago I found a dated ( 2014) Pilot / FlyingJ travel guide PDF on line. It listed the locations by state as well as which had Rv lanes ( gas) as well as RV parking.I used this as a reference base and kept adding other spots as I learned about them
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJB View Post
We use the book Next Exit and the app iExit as they indicate "RV Friendly" gas stations. I also note in the margins of the book which stations were really good or bad. We also tend to look for the big truck stops - Loves, TA, etc. but stay away from Pilot as we've encountered too many that were really tight for gas trucks. I tried to talk my husband into buying a diesel truck so we could go where "the big boys go" but I lost that battle!
Over the holidays we took a trip form NJ to GA via I81/I77/I85... all major interstates/truck routes. My wife used iExit set for RV friendly. The first few stops were a Sheetz, and two Pilots. I was not impressed, having the same experience as SJB. While there were a lot of islands (6-8) there was only one pump per island. And they were pointing towards the stores. So even my short 23' trailer would stick out pretty far. There was a whole bunch of cars parked right in front of the store, and plenty of traffic buzzing around.I hit a few Love's on the way home and at least there islands were two pumps deep, so we didn't get in the way.

I didn't notice any RV lanes at these places, but then I didn't know I should be looking for them. This was for a gasser. The truck lanes were all wide and nicely laid out so if you have a diesel you should be good.

So I'll have to figure this out as I go along. I can't see dropping the trailer somewhere just to fill up. I'd just get back on the highway and try the next stop. Maybe I'll start hitting up the Flying J's

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:10 PM   #29

Thumbs up easy access when getting fuel

there's a free app called truckers path that shows you all the stations along your route including the price of fuel and distance that I find very helpful.
I pull a 43' fiver and found that access to the pumps is everything.
Tony4eight1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:12 PM   #30

Yeah, I with you, Google Map Street view is very helpful.
DJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:18 PM   #31
Catfish1953

Pilot Flying J app works!

Hey the Pilot Flying J app works for this.
Last week used it from Townsend Tn. to Springville Alabama I'm set up as an RV Driver. It tells you if RV friendly. How many parking spots their are for trucks and RV's. It will let you set up payment and then give you a code to put in for fueling. No chance of skimming your card. Also has many discounts and specials. You can even plan your trip and it will map out the fueling points for you. I like it so far. Here is a link for the app.

Have you heard about Pilot Flying J’s free rewards? Enjoy a free drink using my code! https://pilotflyingj.app.link/YydfoO...ode=jamesw3782

I will say I have ran into several rookies or just plane rude people in the last 3 trips at fuel stations. Both were at very crowded stations the people fueled then unloaded the kids and wife and went in to get fast food without moving to the side or out of the way of the pumps. Please be respectful of everyone else and move your rig to go inside if at all possible. It doesn't help our standing with Truck drivers or the normal motorist if we do the above mentioned. I rarely cannot find a place to pull to and park out of the way.
Thanks in advance!

USAF Retired
3rd Herd Life Member
2019 Forrest River E-pro 19-FBS
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
catfish1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:00 PM   #32
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
I have iExit... how do you set it for RV friendly?

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:41 PM   #33
Catfish1953

iexit rv friendly

You can enter a search of all places rv friendly in the menu using search around location scroll down to outdoors click rv friendly and search. A list of places around you will appear. All of the ones I checked said rv friendly in the amenities section of each description.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200106-162847_iExit.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	221480

Don"t normally use the app just loaded it to see if I could help!

USAF Retired
3rd Herd Life Member
2019 Forrest River E-pro 19-FBS
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
catfish1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:58 PM   #34

I first owned a GMC 2500HD gas truck towing a 30 ft. 5th wheel and ran into the same problem of finding a station that I could get into and out of. I up graded to a Chevrolet 2500HD diesel towing a 32 ft. wheel. Being a diesel truck, I can install a auxiliary diesel fuel tank. I added a 60 gal. tank to front of my 8 ft. bed. I now have a total of 96 gals. of fuel on board when tanks are full. I usually refuel after dropping the trailer in a camp ground, but have refueled at truck stops in the truck lanes. Do not worry about getting into or out of refuel points any longer.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:59 PM   #35

I always go to the end pumps (depends what side my gas fill lid is on)and stay away a max distance so the hose will reach.....
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:20 PM   #36
Dorothy and the Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgemark View Post
Any big truck stop like flying J, Loves, Speedway, pilots and such. I have the Rand McNally rv gps and it tells me where bigger gas stops are.
x2 even to the RM GPS

Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:25 PM   #37

Quote:

Get the book next exit tell all Rv friendly station
Mitch 201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:43 PM   #38
Canadian Member

I almost never tow further than 2 tanks full of gas will get me in a day. I fill up the truck the night before and when we get to our destination without the trailer hooked and use Gas Buddy to find the best price. If we’re travelling far enough that I have to fill up along the way, I plan where I’m going to stop by either finding a truck stop like a Flying J or I use Google Maps/Streetview to make sure I’ll have lots of room.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:58 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
LOL... didn't take long to turn into a gas -vs- diesel debate!
Geez!
For those who have a diesel, check out TSD Logistics fuel discount card. Works at Loves, Pilot Flying J at the truck pumps in the back. Paid $2.65 today. Published price was over $3.00. Card is free, but must be linked to a checking account. TSD gets 10% cut on the discount and debits your account in a few days. Works well for me.
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbulkley View Post
Most of you say how long, but is the roof hi enough to get a RV motor home under it. Mine is 12.5 high.
I am 12.5’ also. Has never been a problem. Most canopies seem to be made to accommodate semi fuel delivery trucks. I would look for low clearance signs otherwise I would think it would be fine.
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas