Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
Now a "Top Member"

IH-10 Houston to Florida

I just wanted to update everyone on my recent trip across I-10 from Houston to Florida. This was a non-camper trip. But the road conditions are the subject here. First off, hats off to Florida. They have some of the most beautiful highways I've seen in a while. Very clean and very well maintained.

So, from Houston, the I-10 to the Louisiana border is pretty rough. Not bone-jarring necessarily, but they need help. They are getting it (i.e., lots of construction, especially between about Beaumont and the border). Both sides. Pack your patience and drive nice.

Border of Louisiana pretty much to at least Lafyette is also pretty beat up. Again, lots of construction here and there. Some really rough patches, but no broken teeth.

Somewhere after Lafyette, things smoothed out, and it was a wonderful drive the rest of the way until we got off at I-75. Mississippi, Alabama and Florida have done wonders. BUT...Hurricane Michael did some major destruction in Florida. Not to the highway, other than tree debris, but oh my at the loss of trees. And it was a little eerie as we passed Pensacola, and got to where the hurricane started it's path of destruction. When we first noticed trees down, they were all pointing to the southeast. As we went further east, eventually the trees were a mix of lying south, southeast, then southwest. Then as we went past where the eye went overland, the trees were all lying point to the southwest. It was really something to see. The destruction there reminded me of the loss of trees when we had the big fires here in Texas a few years back. We are still recovering from that. I know Florida will be recovering for years.

And finally, I want to commend ALL the states I went through EXCEPT Louisiana for their rest areas. Well, Alabama sorta doesn't count as you were through there before you could burp. But Louisiana...what's up with the no rest area? None. At all. C'mon...people gotta pee!!

Anyway, I thought I would pass on my experience. I hope someone has some use for it.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:26 PM   #2

Back in 2008 Louisiana decided to close many rest areas due to the cost of upkeep. I think they were trying to encourage people to support businesses along the interstates.

Hope you took I 10 to I 12 to I 10 and avoided New Orleans.

As to I10 in Texas from Houston to the Louisiana border.... that stretch has always been rough but the rains we've had haven't helped. Lots of flooding from rains in the area and from the rivers that drain northeast Texas.

For me, the worst part is the air quality from the refineries east of Houston. I roll up my windows and recirculate the air.

Thanks for the update. It's going to help someone.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the info Ed Junior. I am headed that way just after the first of the year.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:41 PM   #4

We’re headed that way in Mid-March so thanks for the information. Being unfamiliar with that part of the country we set up rv parks along I 10 all the way to Orlando so it’ll be an experience for us, no doubt.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:47 PM   #5
Now a "Top Member"

Y'all keep in mind, I did not have my camper (5th wheel), so some of the roads may be a bit worse than what I experienced. Still, for the most part, accurate.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #6

I took my first trip with our 5er on the interstate system and never again... Too many big rigs like to cut you off when your going up hills faster than them and then way too many idiots that cut you off because they don't want to be behind your trailer.
Since that we take the 2 lane highways and it is much more rewarding. Better scenery, less traffic and hardly any big rigs on them. Yeah sometimes you'll have to follow a farmer or local on the highway for a few miles but I'll never take the interstate again. Oh and one more thing less troopers!
43 feet
CoMaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:19 PM   #7

I have traveled mostly on Interstates some good most need work. The item that folks traveling south on I 65 or North is, there are no rest areas between Kentucky and Alabama. Just the beginning on each direction.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:56 PM   #8

Thanks for the update. Mid January I’m going Florida to Texas.

2014 Coachmen Brookstone 325RL
2015 Chev Silverado 2500 Diesel.
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #9
Enjoying Life

I hate the section just west of Baton Rouge heading east just before the Mississippi River bridge. Never seems to be a time when it's not backed up.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:54 PM   #10

We normally take the interstates, we can find more campgrounds. But it all depends on where we are
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
I hate the section just west of Baton Rouge heading east just before the Mississippi River bridge. Never seems to be a time when it's not backed up.

Biggest pain on I-10 East of Houston, for sure. Be sure you have the lane usage figured out in advance for both sides of the bridge, because people are really uncooperative about letting you merge. They have no respect for RV or Semi traffic.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida