Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2022, 04:18 PM   #21

I second crossing at Sarnia rather than Detroit. The 401 across the province lets you make time and ensures available fuel and food locations. Just stay in your lane and let them go around. Second vote for getting off at Gan and taking the 1000 Islands Parkway. In fact I’d get off near Kingston and take #2 being sure to see the Long Sault Parkway too. Beautiful camping along the seaway. Enjoy your trip!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 05:50 AM   #22

rwriley, I would like to recommend the Hideaway campground on Cape Breton island. Also make time to drive the Cabot trail and take the tour of the Glenora distillery, you won't be disappointed. I did this trip in 2018 and it was a bucket list for me.
I'm going back but this time on my motorcycle and I will rent one of their trailers to stay in.
Tom
https://www.campingcapebreton.com/index.html

Old 04-21-2022, 08:47 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to Jumper Send a message via MSN to Jumper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
We have close friends in Halifax but have never driven all the way. Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal for sure. Google Maps shows three (3) routes (without messing with it manually), 2 US to the Maine border and one thru Canada via Windsor. All 3 are the same time and distance. They're pretty much "water level" routes without major grades. Don't forget to consider tolls. NY Tollway and PA Turnpike are expensive for example. Have no idea about the Canadian tolls other than I think there are none in Ontario or starting soon. Easy navigation 'cuz you'll be on 401 most of the way from Windsor.

Other than Quebec you'll hardly notice the "different" country if you go North. 4-lane divided highways look the same there. Canada stopped driving on the left side of the road about 100 yeas ago so there's no excitement there. The currency looks different but your credit card won't know the difference.

Have fun! Be sure to get up to Fortress Louisbourg.

-- Chuck
I'am from NS and the best route would be through Maine, I travel from Florida back to Cape Breton Nova Scotia every year. Enjoy
Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:52 PM   #24

I have done both routes many times. Travel through upstate NY is a bit mountainous and the same can be said for New Brunswick as both have different mountain ranges. I never found them too steep but there will definitely be some slower ascents. The Canadian route is wide open and you will be able to visit some cool stops (Prince Edward County - great wines - you can Harvest Host or provincial parks). Montreal and Quebec City in Quebec, the St. Lawrence River near Tori’s Rivičres, and the Bay of Fundy (St. Andrew’s By the Sea). The Maine drive is incredible too.
FRFreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:39 PM   #25

You going to help Rick and Marty search for treasure on Oak Island?
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:56 AM   #26

Lots to see in both countries

All major cities in both Canada and US have traffic headaches. Plan accordingly. Fuel expensive everywhere but cheaper in US. Fill up before you cross.

You have to gave proof of double vaccination against COVID-19 to enter Canada, a passport or Nexus card and use the ArriveCan app to enter Canada. If traveling with pets they need their shots.

Some telco companies have brutal roaming rates. Look into a package before you enter Canada.

I live close to TCH about 75 miles south of NB - Quebec border, a six hour drive from Halifax. My rv is parked in a two acre field beside my home with 30 Amp and water. PM me of you want to boondocks on your way
dog rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:57 AM   #27

Lots to see in both countries

All major cities in both Canada and US have traffic headaches. Plan accordingly. Fuel expensive everywhere but cheaper in US. Fill up before you cross.

You have to gave proof of double vaccination against COVID-19 to enter Canada, a passport or Nexus card and use the ArriveCan app to enter Canada. If traveling with pets they need their shots.

Some telco companies have brutal roaming rates. Look into a package before you enter Canada.

I live close to TCH about 75 miles south of NB - Quebec border, a six hour drive from Halifax. My rv is parked in a two acre field beside my home with 30 Amp and water. PM me if you want to boondock on your way
dog rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 06:56 AM   #28

US to Halifax

We've never taken the camper, but would highly recommend the route through the US, driven it tons of times going to St John NB and Halifax NS. Now that we are retired we have talked of going there again but with the FW, just hasn't happened yet. Spend some time around St John also.

Other posts are very correct about going through Canada and the traffic, signage and prices.

Also no matter which way you go be sure you check what you are allowed to bring across the board, especially foods. They will go through your vehicle and remove what you cannot take.

Enjoy the trip!
Rosebud54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 11:39 AM   #29
Charlie & Sue

Have full-time RV'ed extensively through Canada and USA and many trips between northern NB and Indiana in recent years. The route from Quebec City past Toronto is well known and not that difficult. Recommend the Port Huron, Sarnia crossing in either direction or at Fort Erie/Buffalo. We have driven through Toronto on the 401 and picking the right time of day can make a difference. We have taken the 407 bypass to avoid Toronto, and while it is a toll road, it is by camera and we never paid as we are out of Province. From what I have been able to determine if you have Quebec, Ontario or New York plates there is a working agreement between the 3 entities and they will bill you eventually. As you approach Montreal look for Route 30 (divided) that will take you south of Montreal. I believe the toll for the bridge across the St. Lawrence may no longer be in place, but it was only about $10. You will get back on the 20 east of Montreal, Be on the look out for the turnoff directing you to Quebec City. When you get there you stay on the south side of the River. A good campground at Saint Nicolas will allow you time to tour the historic City. Language will not be any issue anywhere along the way and taht i coming from an English speaking head. At Riviere Du Loupe you will make a decision to go to Edmundston, NB or continue to Mont Joli and take Route 132 to Cross Point, Quebec and then cross the Restigouche River into Campbellton, NB (nice campground beside the River at the bridge). A very scenic drive through the Matapedia River Valley. You can make Halifax in a net 6 hours from Campbellton.

When in Nova Scotia allow a week if you can in the Halifax area as a base to explore everything within a couple of hours drive (Halifax, Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg with their good restaurants, Burnt Coat Head - according to Guinness the highest tides in the world - sorry NB, and Grand Pre to name some highlights). Couple of really good campgrounds in that area. The Shubie Park campground is my preferred, but you need to book now in hopes of getting a full service site. The KOA is further outside the City with many full service sites. The Cabot Trail is a good tour, but do not recommend taking your RV unless it is a Class B or a small Class C. Camp at say Baddeck and do a full day trip around the loop making sure you travel clockwise for the better scenery. And of course there is Fortress Louisburg where you will want to spend the best part of the day in order to take in all that they have to offer. Oh, forgot to mention I am originally from NS and while NS campworking for 6 summers I provided appreciated tour directions to hundreds.

If travelling through Maine, take the I-95 to Woodstock. The Airline Route on the 99 would not be my recommendation due to hills, etc.

Happy Trails
mecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 02:40 PM   #30

Go Canada route!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwriley1053 View Post
We are planning a trip from Fort Wayne, Indiana to Nova Scotia this summer. There are 2 routes I could take. One takes me up the U.S. side and I cross over in Maine. The other takes me up thru Michigan and I cross over near Detroit and do most of my traveling in Canada. Is anyone familiar with either of these routes ? I'm looking the most RV friendly route, especially avoiding severe descents, and finding good campgrounds. My 1st inclination is to take the Canadian route because of the adventure of RVing in a country other than my own, but if there are compelling reasons to go the U.S. side I would like to know.

Any suggestions are most welcome !
We have traveled the Canadian route and also the US route from Iowa. Difference is we were on a motorcycle, so I can’t help with camping. But the Canadian route is beautiful. We went to New Brunswick, PEI, Cabot Trail, down to Nova Scotia, and back through Maine. Sooooo much fun! The food is outstanding (think poutine food trucks), scenery gorgeous.
rgklever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 02:45 PM   #31

I'm unable to give current info, I took my wife and girls up to Ontario for a week back about 2004/2005. Going there, took the Detroit route and crossed into Toronto. We started in Kansas.

Posting mainly to say that it's BEYOOTIFUL up in Canada driving on the provincial highway system. Getting off of it usually gets you almost immediately into heavily wooded areas (Ontario). Another thing - GET YOUR STOPS LINED OUT BEFOREHAND. Laws in Canada prevent signage (or did at the time), so you didn't get the sign of what restaurants/fuel/etc were available at exits on the provincial highway. Taking an exit - you just got signs telling you "X" is thataway 8km, or "Y" is theotherway 12km. And once you get into town, you still can't see signs - a law about signage not being over about 15 feet tall or thereabouts. Had to be right ON a sign to even know there was one.

In Ottawa, had to pull off, ask for a phone book, and guy asked what I was looking for. First day after getting up there, so trying to find some fresh groceries, etc. He said to go back on the 4 lane a few klicks, then get off at exit somethingorother, and look on the NE corner. I'd been by that - NOTHING showed at all. All exits go "up" at that point. We went there - topped off, and found a massive outdoor shopping, Walmart, eating, etc. No clue it was there from the highway, only 100 feet off to the side and below.

On the way back, we came back through the Watertown, NY area, drove to Niagra Falls, and stopped there for a while.

I would really like to go "back" to Nova Scotia. Dad was stationed there in Barrington at the radar site - part of NORAD (one of those things they made pilots do for a bit when they're an LT). Site is decommissioned now, and think it's just a park - Point Barrow, Bacarro or something like that. That was back in 1960/61 - so don't take ANY advice from me on Nova Scotia. I was a wee lad at the time, about 3 1/2 - 4. Remember stuff, and know they are memories bcz there are no pics. Never got much further north than Halifax. Mostly southern areas of NS. Took the ferry from Bar Harbor, ME to Yarmouth(?). Spent the entire passage sliding across the room on the floor while playing with my new Matchbox cars.

So I'd like to go back and spend some time - see if I can find the place mom and dad rented near Barrington, go to all the old "haunts"

Good luck and have fun! And I'd like to hear back - as I might be headed that way in a couple years when I retire.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...ic154394_1.gif
tundrwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:12 PM   #32

Took the route from Detroit through Canada on a ski trip to Mount tremblant. Staying north of the Great lakes avoided lake effect snow but we still incountered
A small ice storm. Next time we went, lakes were not frozen and we took the ny thruway. Both are pleasant routes.
k24ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 05:13 AM   #33

I lived in the Toronto area and drove to the east coast every summer for 14 years or so. We took both the highways through Ontario, Quebec & New Brunswick as well as the scenic route through upper NY, Vermont, NH and Maine.

Traffic in Toronto is indeed brutal with no good time to make the drive but there is now a bypass around Montreal called route 30. It passes along the south shore and involves either a toll bridge (cheap) or a transit through a small town then over another non-toll bridge. The non-toll bridge route was clogged with trucks when I tried it. The drive through Quebec on route 20 south of the St Lawrence is really quite nice with numerous pulloffs with restroom facilities and coffee. Don't worry about the language, anybody who wants your money will speak English. Plus there will be plenty of out of province travellers on that route.

Be aware that route 185/85 in Quebec and route 2 in NB has hills. Very long grades in NB. Great road though. You may see a moose behind the moose fencing if you keep your eyes peeled.

If you are concerned about traffic through Toronto, why not take I-90 across the south side of Lake Erie and Ontario then head north on I-81 to cross into Canada just east of Kingston, ON?

That route would also allow you to take the scenic route along route 2 in VT, NH and ME. A beautiful drive that does have hills but nothing outrageous. Link up with route 9 at Bangor and cross into Canada at St Stephen, NB. Route 9 did have hills.

Either way, the Canadian or US route will involve hills as you are travelling across the Appalacian mountains. Google it.
Old 04-23-2022, 06:07 AM   #34
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumper View Post
I'am from NS and the best route would be through Maine, I travel from Florida back to Cape Breton Nova Scotia every year. Enjoy
X2 on the Route via Maine. Also found the Hideaway campground was a great location and campground.

No Blinders and No Negativity ! Just the facts.
Started in the "Pumpkin" '79 Burnt Orange Dodge "Street Van" ... NW cruise, Canadian Rockies, Round trip to Alaska. Then' 94 Tioga Montara, '06 Jayco Jay Flight 5th Wheel. Workmanship decline started : '15 Thor Siesta & '17 Tiffin Breeze.
Another RV learning experience with our 2022 34KD Force.
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 03:40 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MevetS View Post
Also found the Hideaway campground was a great location and campground.
Hideaway campground was indeed nice. However, it is also the only campground that I have ever visited where campers had to pay for a hot water shower.