Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #1

Info about Mobile, Alabama

Going to Mobile in few days, would like ideas of thing to see and places of interest, also restaurants, rv parks, parks, etc. thanks topkat
topkattkg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
Censored Member

Don’t miss USS Alabama Battleship Park. There is a lot more than just the battleship there. Definitely worth a visit.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
Always Learning

We stayed at Meaher State Park. It’s right on the water but did have some highway noise from the nearby bridge.

Sugar ants are a problem there so go prepared.

We went for the Marci Gras parades in early February and that was a good time. Came home with something like 12 lbs of beads and a variety of other crap that the kids caught. Keep your head up- I caught a couple of things right before it hit them or my wife.

Food-wise, the only memorable place was when we drove down to Foley and ate at Lambert’s.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
Still a NOOB

I was in Mobile almost a year ago for an Industrial Fire Fighting School. I really like it there.

Agree with ManlyMan on the USS Alabama, and the adjacent Air Museum. It's neat to see some of those planes up close. One thing about the Battleship, some spaces can be tight and confined, after all, it's a Navy ship. Air movement can be lacking, and depending on outside temperatures, it can be hot and muggy in places inside that ship. But it was well worth it to learn that ship's story.

As far as eats, I really like a good old BBQ joint, and The Brick Pit delivered. It's a small place, it looks like someone's house that was turned into a restaurant. But the staff is wonderful and the food was amazing. You know it's a good BBQ joint when you get a slice of white bread with your meal. I would go back to Mobile for no other reason than to eat there again.

The Brick Pit
5456 Old Shell Rd
Mobile, AL 36608
(251) 343-0001

Also, if you are into seafood, specifically oysters, we went to the Half Shell Oyster House. It was highly recommended by some locals, and it was also a great place to eat. We actually ended up going twice in a 6 day visit.

Half Shell Oyster House
3654 Airport Blvd
Mobile, AL 36608
(251) 338-9350
Half Shell Oyster House - Mobile, AL Location

Finally, there's a lot of history just walking around downtown Moblie. Park near Dauphin St and just start walking and take in some of the architecture, parks, and scenery. FYI though, I heard someone say that Dauphin St can get rowdy at night with the younger crowd. Lots of bars. I really liked Mobile. Would love to go back. You'll enjoy it.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #5

Don't forget to go to the dog races, lots of fun. Also Bellingrath Gardens is truly beautiful.
lacrawgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #6
Censored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrawgator View Post
Don't forget to go to the dog races, lots of fun. Also Bellingrath Gardens is truly beautiful.
I was under the impression that they eliminated live Greyhound racing at the track last year and only offer simulcast now. Or am I wrong?
Old 04-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #7

Agree with the others about the battleship park. We were just there in February and even my wife, who is no fan of WWII history, enjoyed it. Allow plenty of time and don't miss touring the WWII submarine as well as the battleship. If others thought the battleship had tight spaces, wait until you try to make your way through the sub!

And, if you are really interested in that sort of thing, Pensacola is not far away. Pensacola Naval Air Station is not only home to the Blue Angels, it has the National Naval Aviation Museum. This museum IMHO ranks right up there with the Smithsonian and the Pima in Tucson as the best air & space museums in the US. I had never heard of it until I started planning our RV snowbird trip to Florida, but I am really glad I discovered it. We stayed at the nearby Big Lagoon State Park, which is a great place to spend a few nights while visiting Pensacola.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #8
Censored Member

I believe the sub was the USS Drum and when you walk through it you have a real appreciation of the conditions that WWII submariners had to endure. My hat is off to them.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #9

X2 on Meagher Park on the causeway. I have stayed there a number of weeks in the last 6 months. It is beautifully maintained (Adam), and managed (Anna). The ants can be a problem, but my Dad starts pretreating my site days before I get there so I'm lucky. The staff will help with ideas, comet, borax, etc.

Along with the other sightseeing suggestions, there are airboat tours in the delta, and an incredible learning center right across the street from the campground. Also, a new maritime museum is right next to the cruise ship dock in downtown, and the ever present duck boat tours from the battleship. There are dozens of great restaurants within fifteen minutes of the campground. Off the top of my head in no specific order....Boudreaux, Oyster House, Ralph and Kakoo's, Kravers (must go), Gambino, Dauphin, Eds Seafood, and on and on and on.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #10
Still a NOOB

The USS Drum was closed when I was there. But I have been on the USS Bowfin at Pearl Harbor. You guys are right on tight living spaces. Amazing what Sailors accomplished aboard those things.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #11

There are several Forts in the area to see if you are into Civil War History. Also a Light House on the Navel Base to see. We were in the area for the month of Feb and going back again this year.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #12

Be sure to check out Felix's Fish Camp for lunch or dinner.

Felix's Fish Camp - Seafood Restaurant, Seafood Restaurant Menus, Local Seafood Restaurants
Old 04-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #13

Smile

We full time and spend a lot of time on the Gulf coast in the winter.
The battle ship and Belengrath Gardens are great. The alligator swamp tours were also very interesting as well as the Duck water tours.
bobandbrenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:38 PM   #14

Clearance

Be aware that there is only 12 feet clearance available for the 90/98 tunnel.
oldgoat1526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #15

I live in Mobile. If you stay at Meyer State Park, there are several places to eat on the causeway. Felix's is the best. The Bluegill (Owned by Felix's) is almost across from the park and has live music outside on the bay. Three Rivers is also right there and has all the information about the delta. Battleship Park also on the causeway. Go east to to Hwy 98 and take the boardwalk along the bay to Alligator Alley and see the gators. Take Hwy 225 to Blakely State Park for Civil War battlegrounds. You can camp there also full hookups. Downtown Mobile on Dauphin street has tons of bars and eateries. More casual during the day. Dauphin Island has Fort Gains and sea lab. You can take ferry to Fort Morgan and go on to Gulf Shores. If you want to shop go to the Eastern shore (Baldwin county). Mobile Malls are the HOOD!
jandacamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManlyMan View Post
I was under the impression that they eliminated live Greyhound racing at the track last year and only offer simulcast now. Or am I wrong?
Just checked you are right about the greyhound races, sorry.
lacrawgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #17

Gulf Shores-Orange Beach

About 45 minutes away. Sugar white beaches, very family friendly with lots of more touristy things to do. Some excellent eating on the water too. Dolphin Cruise rides are fun. OWA is a new amusement park in Foley, just north of Gulf Shores. Mobile for history and a ride down Government St. to see the old mansions and gorgeous oak trees. GS & OB for beach, eating, fun.
GulfHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:39 PM   #18

trip to Mobiel

Yes must see the Battle Ship and Submarine.
831 BHDS Flagstaff 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:40 AM   #19
Censored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat1526 View Post
Be aware that there is only 12 feet clearance available for the 90/98 tunnel.
Exactly right. To cross the river use the Interstate 10 tunnel. The tunnel has plenty of clearance for RV's. I use that route when heading to Pensacola FL.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:06 AM   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Places to Visit

To really go back in time for the Mobile Bay area, visit the Bellingrath Gardens
and Home on the west side of the bay. You will learn how well people that were associated Coca-Cola lived in the days when Coca-Cola was delivered by
horse & wagon to the area.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alabama