Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 04:28 PM   #21

We have Verizon and recently purchased a Tablet for $100.00 with a mail in rebate for $99.00, such a deal!!!! it is a hot spot for our computer and cost $10.00 per month. Works fine ,last a long time............
saltyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #22

We have been using Verizon Jetpak for 2 years. It's a tiny 3" X 4" rechargeable unit, no outside antenna. We purchased the unit and change our monthly data plan as needed. Some months 6 gigs others less which is all done online thru Verizon wireless while we're on the road. We never use CG internet since not secure. We winter in the coach 5 mos in FL and travel a lot the other months and use it exclusively. Never had a problem with it.

ADK-RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:19 PM   #23

Internet on the road

My Verizon iPhone hot spot has worked fine on the SC coast and FL panhandle.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:23 PM   #24
nosaint3

I've used Verizon MiFi 2200 3G unlimited for years all over,even in the mountains of Colorado and have had no problems. I did find a tree infested campground in Michigan that slowed me down a bunch though. Scared to upgrade.
nosaint3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #25

I am searching for the right answer to internet and cell phone signal on the road. I have a iPhone 5S . Just got back from 9 weeks in FL. For the entire 9 weeks, except for 2 weeks I had little if ANY data or cell phone service using AT&T. I camped near Sarasota and Bradenton area, Mayakka River and Lake Manatee. Lake Manatee gave me one bar, mostly at night otherwise nothing. Mayakka River gave me nothing. I did use a consessionaire's WIFI hotspot everyday.

Camping in Mantee Springs near Chiefland FL gave me nothing while in the campground. St. George Island State Park gave me one bar sometimes depending on the weather conditions and not consistant enough to finish a phone call. St Joe Peninsula State Park gave me 1 or 2 bars with LTE data... I was a happy camper there.

I used my phone with and without my protective case... without which the signal improved a little bit. Data and signal would work sometimes if I set the phone down on a coffee cup, but would be gone within 5 seconds when I picked up the phone... telling me the signal must have been very weak.

I am about to look into Verizon service and giving up on AT&T. On the other hand I am also thinking of adding a Wilson cell amplifier.
Wilson 460103 DB Pro 4G Yagi Amplifier Kit | +65dB Gain

Anyone have opinions on ATT or Verizon in state parks outside the suburbs and other somewhat remote areas? Or does the add-on amp make more sense?
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #26

Verizon and Jetpack. It just works, period.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:40 PM   #27

I go to McDonalds with my laptop.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #28

We used a Verizon 4G adapter on our laptop during a 3 month trip nearly circling the US. We seldom had a problem getting a signal. Last spring we finally got "smart phones" and now we just use one of them to create a hotspot. We have the phones set up to only allow our laptops to use the hotspot.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:15 PM   #29

I've been using a Virgin mobile hot spot for several years now. They have several different plans. I have had very good luck with mine. I'm in the Atlanta area but I've used it in many different parts of the state.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:53 AM   #30

Like has been said you really have 2 options one is to borrow WIFI from a source like the RV Park, a coffee shop type place or a hotel. The biggest problem with these is they are open networks and all data you use is open to be captured by someone. The chances of something happening is small yet still there, plus you are at the submission of the quality of somebody else’s system.

The second option is to generate your own WIFI (what I do) lots of ways to do this. I think all smartphones can generate a hotspot (again what I do) or you can get a small device from ATT, Verizon and such. The fill as you go is an option if you only need it every once in a while.

Regardless of your choice you’ll need a data plan, if you don’t already have one get with whoever your cell service is with and they can take care of it.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:01 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I am searching for the right answer to internet and cell phone signal on the road. I have a iPhone 5S . Just got back from 9 weeks in FL. For the entire 9 weeks, except for 2 weeks I had little if ANY data or cell phone service using AT&T. I camped near Sarasota and Bradenton area, Mayakka River and Lake Manatee. Lake Manatee gave me one bar, mostly at night otherwise nothing. Mayakka River gave me nothing. I did use a consessionaire's WIFI hotspot everyday.

Camping in Mantee Springs near Chiefland FL gave me nothing while in the campground. St. George Island State Park gave me one bar sometimes depending on the weather conditions and not consistant enough to finish a phone call. St Joe Peninsula State Park gave me 1 or 2 bars with LTE data... I was a happy camper there.

I used my phone with and without my protective case... without which the signal improved a little bit. Data and signal would work sometimes if I set the phone down on a coffee cup, but would be gone within 5 seconds when I picked up the phone... telling me the signal must have been very weak.

I am about to look into Verizon service and giving up on AT&T. On the other hand I am also thinking of adding a Wilson cell amplifier.

Anyone have opinions on ATT or Verizon in state parks outside the suburbs and other somewhat remote areas? Or does the add-on amp make more sense?
We also spend our winters in Florida with HTC Ones on AT&T, mostly on the east coast but also in some of the west coast state parks and the only place we've been that did not have an acceptable signal was the Big Cypress Reservation. I think we even had a signal in Kissimmee Prairie State Park. But we have been in places where there was no or weak signals with AT&T and Verizon.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post

Wilson Electronics is now named 'WeBoost' and I have their 4G cellular amplifier and it made all the difference in the world. When we went to 'Daingerfield State Park' in Texas, the area supposedly had ATT coverage (according to the coverage map) but in reality I had zero to 1 bar of service and it tended to want to go in to 'Roaming' mode (which can be turned off). Then I unpacked my Wilson amplifier (and I bought a heftier antenna to go with it instead of using the small one it comes with) and set it up and voila!, I had 4 bars of service. I won't go anywhere without the amplifier, it works

Of course if the area doesn't provide a signal, then there's nothing to boost but most places will have some sort of signal (between ATT and Verizon). I do plan on buying a Verizon jetpack and having that in my arsenal for instances where there is no ATT coverage - this way I should be good to go for most any place we end up.

When I went to their website (WeBoost) it appears that another booster is coming on the market soon but as long as the one I have works I'm good
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #33
Do It Yourselfer

We used an AT&T hotspot on our 6000 mile trip from Ohio thru the midwest, to the west coast, back thru Montana without any dead zones. Very frustration using the campground wifi. So slow, if you can get connected and stay connected. An additional $10 a month, but worth it to avoid the campground aggravation. Easy to bump up data if it appears your getting close to your plan limit. And lower it after your trip.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's Easy to take 'Liberty' for granted, When you have never had it taken from You!
wuffwuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #34

We use internet on the go when no wifi is present best part buy time and it doesnt expire
siskom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:43 PM   #35

Mi fi by Verizon. Used it for 3 yrs x USA and back to Atlanta. Keep rv in N GA mountains. Never a signal issue. I am sure there are a outliers where weak or no signal, BUT, we never found any. We do not stream so our 15gb plan is sufficient. We use a COMBINED data plan for any device. It is our only internet service.

WARNING: it has limits. Example: automatic shut off if not in use for extended periods; hours, not days!
Not usable for home security. You cannot re boot it remotely.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:09 PM   #36

Quote:
We use internet on the go when no wifi is present best part buy time and it doesnt expire
I saw that it costs about $15 per GIG which is about $5 more per GIG than what other carriers charge... DOES IT WORK in REMOTE areas?

I don't need it on the road all the time... just some of the time when traveling... this looks like it might be a decent option for data... obviously won't work for cell phone.

I have been looking at the Wilson amps too.

Quote:
Wilson Electronics is now named 'WeBoost' and I have their 4G cellular amplifier and it made all the difference in the world.
I might buy the new one they brought out and buy both a home and mobile antenna so I can permanently mount both.

GOOD suggestions everyone...THX
Old 03-26-2015, 11:49 PM   #37

After spending the past hour studying coverage maps... if I can believe them... VERIZON is the winner!
Old 03-27-2015, 08:31 AM   #38

I have decided to actually keep the hot spot in my truck, it is basically the same price as other hot spots on the market, and it is a bit more powerful. And in my locations where I camp a lot, AT&T is better than Verizon. But that is 3G not 4G.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #39

I am done with ATT and yesterday was the final straw. Yes, I've had mostly poor to no signal while camping outside of large population cneters this winter near Sarasota and Breadonton, not to mention St. George Island in the panhandle. But yesterday I was early for a meeting and was sitting in a parking lot outside a Fire Department in Northern KY. I tried to make a call and had no signal with my iPhone 5S. I thought I would step outside the car and try and still had no signal. I then went inside the metal FD building. I noticed two firefighters using their phones in the building. I asked one of them what service he had and he showed me two bars using VERIZON inside the metal building. He said it gets better if sitting by a window. That finally drove me over the edge...

I talked to a Verizon rep later that day. I think I will have to wait until my contract with ATT is up in Novemeber, and then I will take advantage of any holiday promo they have going at the time. Plus the new Galaxy phone will be introduced and probably the iPhone 6 will be more discounted then it is now. I looked over the Jetpack and with that box and a stout enough data plan, I hope to be able to get rid of my Cincinnati Bell internet and land line phone service also... then take the Jetpack (Myfi, or whatever it is called) with me while over-wintering camping in FL. The DW has a Kindle and can only download books at a hotspot like McDonalds... this solution will free her from that problem.

Last night I looked at the Verizon coverage of all the spots I camped last year and they all show good coverage. Sprint and ATT did not.

Some people wonder why I worry about connectivity while camping... well, it is to be able to easily keep in touch with family and friends besides maybe saving me some pain if some calamity should occur while outside the city limits.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #40

Sounds like me three months ago, when I dropped Verizon after 12 years, due to poor service here in ID.
But I have to ask, did you try a different phone? I had trouble many years ago when living in UT, and pulled out my previous smart phone, reconnected it to the service and service was ok. So, I talked with verizon tech and they sent out a refurbished model and all was well. Sometimes it is the phone and not necessarily the service.
But everyone needs to go with what's best for them for where they live and during their travels.
And for 12 years, Verizon was great for me, but now, where I tend to camp, it appears AT&T is the best. Who would have thought!

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote