Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2017, 07:52 AM   #1

KOA Classifications

I think it’s interesting that KOA now classifies their RV Parks into three different categories. The categories are the KOA Journey, the KOA Adventures Begins, and the KOA Destination. While traveling I do use KOA’s but I think the categories should be, overpriced, even more overpriced, and outrageously overpriced.

We recently stayed at a KOA Journey in Stanton MO and paid $40 a night with our KOA Value Kard. We stayed there to tour the major caves in that area and check out the tourist attractions. The 4 major caves in the area are great but I’m getting too old and fat for Fisher Cave in Meramec State Park. That cave has a 100 foot section called the “duck walk” because the ceiling is only 50 inches high. Oh my aching back.

Like most KOA’s, the sites at this one were very close together. This was a small RV park with a total of 30 RV sites, 16 full hookups and 14 water/electric only. The 14 water/electric sites were in rough condition with a lot of slope and the owners put small RV’s in those sites. The pool was nice and very clean but the “clubhouse” was being used for storage. No cable TV here but you could get all the St. Louis TV stations over-the-air. Here are some pics of the Stanton KOA.

The full hookup sites.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0809.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	544.9 KB
ID:	150258

Our RV site in the full hookup section.

Name:	IMG_0826.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	150259

The water/electric sites.

Name:	IMG_0813.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	619.6 KB
ID:	150260

The Fishing Pond...yes, really.

Name:	IMG_0816.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	620.3 KB
ID:	150261

The dump station located at the end of the full hookup sites.

Name:	IMG_0832.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	539.4 KB
ID:	150262

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:04 AM   #2

Good points.

I use KOA for ONE reason only........when on a multi-leg trip (most of mine are), they are overnight stops for FHU Pull throughs when I just want one night, and usually a short night at that.

I avoided one 2 days ago in Wytheville, VA because of cost.....and ended up at a remote campsite that only had backins for FHU sites, and I didn't fit. It was a mess and I wished I'd have spent the extra $18 and been done with it.

More than one day? No KOA for me then.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #3
Citrus County, Fl.

I totally agree that most, if not all KOA's are over priced. However, we stayed at the KOA in Dayton, Ohio after the International rally and I will say in 18 years of camping with an RV that this is by far the nicest KOA we have ever stayed in.

We had a back in site since we were staying 3 nights while touring the National Air Force Museum and we had ample space between the sites. There are lots of trees and plenty to do if you have kids or grand kids.

There is even a mini-golf course and a gem mine plus a little train that goes around the campground carrying the kids.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170813_104646.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	150264   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170813_104612.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	478.9 KB
ID:	150265  
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:56 AM   #4
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
I totally agree that most, if not all KOA's are over priced. However, we stayed at the KOA in Dayton, Ohio after the International rally and I will say in 18 years of camping with an RV that this is by far the nicest KOA we have ever stayed in.

We had a back in site since we were staying 3 nights while touring the National Air Force Museum and we had ample space between the sites. There are lots of trees and plenty to do if you have kids or grand kids.

There is even a mini-golf course and a gem mine plus a little train that goes around the campground carrying the kids.

How was the water?

We chose to do our first shakeout trip Wapakoneta KOA instead of Dayton KOA (despite Dayton being just a stone's throw away) because of horrific reviews of the water.

What was your experience? Thanks.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:30 PM   #5

We use them pretty much for travelling only and really like them for that purpose. Wapakoneta is one of our frequent stops. Only ever stay for overnight, but like it as a stop. Never had an issue. I like that you can check for KOA vacancies online and have a couple parks in mind in case you aren't sure how far you are going to drive. We have our first "BIG" trip planned for our new trailer in a few weeks and have mapped out several KOA's along the route cuz you never know what to expect on the road!
mini-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I think it’s interesting that KOA now classifies their RV Parks into three different categories. The categories are the KOA Journey, the KOA Adventures Begins, and the KOA Destination. While traveling I do use KOA’s but I think the categories should be, overpriced, even more overpriced, and outrageously overpriced.

We recently stayed at a KOA Journey in Stanton MO and paid $40 a night with our KOA Value Kard. We stayed there to tour the major caves in that area and check out the tourist attractions. The 4 major caves in the area are great but I’m getting too old and fat for Fisher Cave in Meramec State Park. That cave has a 100 foot section called the “duck walk” because the ceiling is only 50 inches high. Oh my aching back.

Like most KOA’s, the sites at this one were very close together. This was a small RV park with a total of 30 RV sites, 16 full hookups and 14 water/electric only. The 14 water/electric sites were in rough condition with a lot of slope and the owners put small RV’s in those sites. The pool was nice and very clean but the “clubhouse” was being used for storage. No cable TV here but you could get all the St. Louis TV stations over-the-air. Here are some pics of the Stanton KOA.

The full hookup sites.

Attachment 150258

Our RV site in the full hookup section.

Attachment 150259

The water/electric sites.

Attachment 150260

The Fishing Pond...yes, really.

Attachment 150261

The dump station located at the end of the full hookup sites.

Attachment 150262

I've camped for decades, and never once stayed at a private campground, only state parks and Corps of Engineers campgrounds for me.
dstacy969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:49 AM   #7

Visit their official koa site. If the comments are not shown, eliminate them.
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:36 PM   #8
King of the Road

If your ever near Douglas WY, stay at the KOA there. Worth a night or several, very nice rv park.

Stayed there overnight on the way to yellowstone NP this year and the people are super nice and accomodating. Nice pool, playground and they have coffee and breakfast for ya in the morning if you want.

I think it's all about the owners/franchisees more than KOA.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat