Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2023, 03:55 PM   #1
Smiles, Trials & Tribs

Leaving your RV while boondocking

We're going full-time in July with the expectation to boondock at least 50% of the time with our 2 cats. We've never boondocked before and I'm a bit apprehensive about leaving our rig unattended all day while we sightsee. Plus, if it's hot I have to run the generator for many hours for the AC. Are my concerns unfounded? Thanks!
Old 05-31-2023, 04:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Vista View Post
We're going full-time in July with the expectation to boondock at least 50% of the time with our 2 cats. We've never boondocked before and I'm a bit apprehensive about leaving our rig unattended all day while we sightsee. Plus, if it's hot I have to run the generator for many hours for the AC. Are my concerns unfounded? Thanks!
As long as the generator keeps runnig there shouldn't be an issue. If it doesn't your cats are in for the time of their life. It's going to get really hot in there really quick. My preference, I wouldn't laeave a pet in an RV for very long if I was gone. Lots of people do it but I won't.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:39 PM   #3
Smiles, Trials & Tribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
As long as the generator keeps runnig there shouldn't be an issue. If it doesn't your cats are in for the time of their life. It's going to get really hot in there really quick. My preference, I wouldn't laeave a pet in an RV for very long if I was gone. Lots of people do it but I won't.
Thanks. We're heading north up into Yellowstone and that area to beat the Phoenix heat. If it's going to be a hot day we go out at sunrise and get back by noon.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks. We're heading north up into Yellowstone and that area to beat the Phoenix heat. If it's going to be a hot day we go out at sunrise and get back by noon.
If you're going to be up in the Yellowstone area , Montana, Wyoming , Idaho . you should be fine with out the AC just leave the windows open and look to park in the shade . Boondocking around henry's lake is very good and lots of shade ..
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Your concerns are founded. Leaving animals alone in an RV while sightseeing is a bad idea.

Even in an RV park with shore power it too can stop working for a variety of reasons. A while ago I was in an RV park in N. New Mexico when lightning took out the power for about half a day. A neighbor in the park came over to see if I had power back yet (didn't) as they were hoping to meet another couple away from their TT and were concerned about leaving their two puppies without A/C. I told them I had no plans and the pups were welcome to hang out with me. If it got too hot I'd start my Generator.

I spent the afternoon and part of the Evening with two pups that made themselves comfy on my couch and "we" watched a couple movies. Their "people" returned about dark and collected the pups.

Next morning I got a knock on the door and when I opened it I was handed a small bag of homemade cookies.

Unless you have someone to watch over the cats it would be a good idea to do sightseeing only on days where the inside stays under "cat comfy temps".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:23 PM   #6
Smiles, Trials & Tribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
If you're going to be up in the Yellowstone area , Montana, Wyoming , Idaho . you should be fine with out the AC just leave the windows open and look to park in the shade . Boondocking around henry's lake is very good and lots of shade ..
Shade is counterproductive to solar ;-)
Old 05-31-2023, 08:28 PM   #7
Smiles, Trials & Tribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Unless you have someone to watch over the cats it would be a good idea to do sightseeing only on days where the inside stays under "cat comfy temps".
I live in Phoenix and our cats refuse to come in off our patio when it's over 100°... the heat doesn't bother them at all... Obviously, we can't take our cats hiking and biking in and around national parks, so they will have to stay in the RV. Again, if it's toasty out, we will be back at the RV by noon before it gets hot. The RV will have to stay in the sun for solar charging while boondocking. Thanks, Mike.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:25 AM   #8

I would assume running the AC unit that the generator or generators would run out of fuel well before before you get back.

I would suggest running a larger fan. That way the generator would run at a quieter and lower rpm and keep the windows open.

We always bring a large shop fan when we take our trailer out. Comes in super handy. We use it outside and inside. Mostly outside though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4025.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	288018
2021 Cherokee Greywolf 23MK
Equalizer 1,000lb WDH
Guspech750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:30 AM   #9

Quote:
The RV will have to stay in the sun for solar charging while boondocking. Thanks, Mike.
That's why I love my portable solar setup.

I can park in the shade and set up panels out on the sun. Panels have a 50' extension cord that delivers ~35vdc to controller mounted next to batteries in TT.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 05:57 PM   #10

Go has high as you can to find cooler weather. If you have internet access you can install one of the following thermostats that you can access remotely to check on your pets, we use one and love it and we have multiple sources of internet and are always able to check on them.

https://www.microair.net/pages/easyt...select-a-brand

Because we always have internet we also have the following cameras that we put up on the outside and one inside that we can access remotely, they record to the cloud, and they can be setup to send alerts. Fun to see what wonders around us at night this last winter in the Arizona desert.

[2023 Upgraded Version] Security Cameras Wireless Outdoor 1080P Battery Powered WiFi Camera Color Night Vision 2-Way Audio AI Motion Detection for Home Security with Cloud/SD IP65 Weatherproof 2 -Pack https://a.co/d/iiNlre6

And we mount the cameras with:

Panavise ActionGrip 13101 Shorty Suction Cup Camera Mount (Matte Black) https://a.co/d/guL9u9A
Giboneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:54 PM   #11

Quote:
We've never boondocked before and I'm a bit apprehensive about leaving our rig unattended all day while we sightsee. Plus, if it's hot I have to run the generator for many hours for the AC. Are my concerns unfounded? Thanks!
No. Your concerns are valid.
Whether your rig unattended will be safe from someone breaking in and possibly letting out the cats and taking items from the rig is unknown. Most consider boondocking and camping safe, but an unattended rig is always vulnerable.

As to running the generator for many hours, I'm assuming that you're going to be there while it's running. Your main problem will be having enough fuel to keep it going.
You and the cats will probably be ok, but there are no guarantees either while boondocking or in a campground.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:08 PM   #12
Smiles, Trials & Tribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
That's why I love my portable solar setup.

I can park in the shade and set up panels out on the sun. Panels have a 50' extension cord that delivers ~35vdc to controller mounted next to batteries in TT.
Do you have both roof and portable? How do you connect the portable? Use an A/B switch to the charge controller? That might work, but it would take a while to charge 600AH... Thanks!
Old 06-01-2023, 10:13 PM   #13
Smiles, Trials & Tribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giboneys View Post
Go has high as you can to find cooler weather. If you have internet access you can install one of the following thermostats that you can access remotely to check on your pets, we use one and love it and we have multiple sources of internet and are always able to check on them.

https://www.microair.net/pages/easyt...select-a-brand

Because we always have internet we also have the following cameras that we put up on the outside and one inside that we can access remotely, they record to the cloud, and they can be setup to send alerts. Fun to see what wonders around us at night this last winter in the Arizona desert.

[2023 Upgraded Version] Security Cameras Wireless Outdoor 1080P Battery Powered WiFi Camera Color Night Vision 2-Way Audio AI Motion Detection for Home Security with Cloud/SD IP65 Weatherproof 2 -Pack https://a.co/d/iiNlre6

And we mount the cameras with:

Panavise ActionGrip 13101 Shorty Suction Cup Camera Mount (Matte Black) https://a.co/d/guL9u9A
Great setup, thanks. I have a Eufy system here at home that I'll be bringing, but I'm still trying to figure out the internet thing. All we have now is T-Mobile but I'm switching my wife over to Verizon. I'm seriously considering Starlink but the cost is quite high, which would bring internet to nearly $300 a month with the phones...
Old 06-06-2023, 09:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Do you have both roof and portable? How do you connect the portable? Use an A/B switch to the charge controller? That might work, but it would take a while to charge 600AH... Thanks!
Can't speak for TitanMike, but there are several ways to accomplish this.

If your rooftop panels connect to a central point using connectors you can unplug, you can simply unplug them and plug in a set of portable panels compatible with your controller. That is what I currently do. The single rooftop panel that came with my trailer is plugged into a connector housing using standard (for solar) MC4 connectors. I just unplug it, plug in an extension lead to the connector housing, and run the extension lead to one or more panels on the ground. See the attached image. Not mine, but similar. The black connector housing is where I would unplug the roof solar and plug in my extension leads.

Another option, which I have not tried but am considering, is have a second solar charge controller just for the ground panels. It is ok to have multiple chargers connected to a battery bank. Just leave the existing rooftop system in place and add in a charge controller with its own set of moveable panels. Here's an article which explains it better than me: https://cleversolarpower.com/multipl...e-controllers/

Search the forum. There's probably a post that goes into more detail and/or provides other options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roof-solar-connector.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	288297  
NoBoGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 04:43 PM   #15

I wouldn’t leave a generator running for any length of time unattended..it’s just not safe especially with your pet’s safety at hand.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 06:14 PM   #16
Smiles, Trials & Tribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacRV View Post
I wouldn’t leave a generator running for any length of time unattended..it’s just not safe especially with your pet’s safety at hand.
The generator will NEVER be running unattended
Old 06-07-2023, 06:16 PM   #17
Smiles, Trials & Tribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guspech750 View Post
I would assume running the AC unit that the generator or generators would run out of fuel well before before you get back.

I would suggest running a larger fan. That way the generator would run at a quieter and lower rpm and keep the windows open.

We always bring a large shop fan when we take our trailer out. Comes in super handy. We use it outside and inside. Mostly outside though.

Attachment 288018
Now that's what I call a tripping hazard... and takes up way too much valuable cargo space when full-timing...
Old 06-12-2023, 07:22 PM   #18

If the cats are your main concern, a Waggle Pet Monitor might be something to look into if you plan to leave them alone. It of course has a monthly cost, but for me it is invaluable because it alerts me via text if the power goes out, the temp goes above or below a set temp, etc. I use it plugged in, but it has an internal battery for power off and boondocking situations. It can also tell you if your RV has moved/is moving if you set the home range. As long as you can give it a charge every so often it works well. It has alerted me several times that I needed to get back to the RV in the year that I've had it for power out, high temp, and low temp situations.

(It also tells me when the RV dealer plugs the RV in and is working on it when it's in for service! lol)
RackOnInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 06:38 AM   #19

Waggle

I second the waggle device works great if you have cell internet reception ! Well worth the peace of mind !
Mountaincat900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 03:31 PM   #20

We are also from Phoenix and travel with a cat. Every year we go to a place deep in the woods south of Flagstaff where we boondock. We have never felt that our cat was in danger even when the temps get up over 95. We leave the windows open. Even when it is that hot, we often find our cat hidden in her spot under a canvas near the back bed - her choice.

We also have a portable solar set-up like TitanMike. That is in addition to our roof solar. We use a second solar charge controller just for the ground panel. It has worked for us for years.

I know that it can be risky to leave a trailer unattended but we usually go back to Phoenix for various reasons every week or two for a couple of days (the cat goes home with us). We leave our trailer locked but don't even put up the beds (it's a hybrid). After over 20 years of doing this, we have never had any attempt at a break-in. Not saying they don't happen, but we just haven't experienced it. It's just stuff. My laptop goes home and my husband keeps his tools in the truck so they go home too. Oh, and we do put the portable solar panel in the rig so it's not a temptation to someone wandering by. We leave chairs and a table outdoors so I'm guessing folks don't even know we're far away.

Boondockers since 1982
Jodiwer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking