Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2024, 04:26 PM   #1

Long Trip Question

Apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but we’re about to take a very long trip next month .. we will be gone for approximately 30 days. Our plan is to travel from New Jersey to Texas so we can see our son graduate from the Air Force Academy.

Most legs of the trip are going to be in 4 to 6 hours spurts of driving with staying at campgrounds 2-3 nights to relax and sight see but there will be a few instances where we are only going to stay over in a campground one night.

For the times that we’re only staying one night in a campground I was planning on doing minimal set up. Ie: just hooking up water and electric and not worrying about hooking up to the sewer. Is it OK to do a day of driving with waste in the black tank? Something tells me it is actually a little beneficial because it’s going to stop waste from caking with all the moving around.

The only other thing I thought about doing is not even putting the stabilizer jacks down and just taking some pressure off the hitch if we’re not gonna go anywhere with my truck. Would appreciate any input or recommendations if you guys do anything like this.
Captainron19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 04:49 PM   #2

Absolutly beneficial to travel with something in the tanks. Slosh is one of the best cleaners. Don't worry about pressure on the hitch. It doesn't care.

If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go where they went.

Will Rogers
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 05:00 PM   #3

We often stay hooked up when stopping overnight, as long as the RV is relatively level. I do put the jacks down to keep it stable. Traveling with water in the tanks will indeed keep things agitated so they will dump more cleanly. I don’t like to travel with the waste tanks full, I prefer to have it no more than 1/3, it can add a lot of weight if it is full.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 05:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainron19 View Post
The only other thing I thought about doing is not even putting the stabilizer jacks down and just taking some pressure off the hitch if we’re not gonna go anywhere with my truck. Would appreciate any input or recommendations if you guys do anything like this.
I will normally put my stabs down just to minimize any rocking. Never have done anything with the hitch jack but have usually been fairly level.

Nice to have a Levelmate Pro or similar in these instances where not unhooking. A couple of spots it took a bit to find a good sweet spot with no levelers under the wheels.
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 05:04 PM   #5

When we did our trip from SF CA to Arkadelphia AR, we did it in 3 days, never unhooked, never dumped tanks. Zero problems or issues. Went that way for our daughters wedding and we had all the wedding parties clothes in our trailer.
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 05:42 PM   #6

I put the stabilizers down as they are electric
pulled the trailer 7 pin so didn't have a chance to drain tow vehicle battery
7 pin charging will probably stop when ignition off but I have to have some OCD items

emptying the black tank I use two gallon plastic milk containers pre-filled filled with water, so don't take up time at the dump point
when tank is emptied and closed back up will add the 2 gallons to slosh around

if it is over night I usually won't connect the city water carry about half tank of fresh water and some bottled water for drinking/cooking.
keep eye on fresh tank and top it up as needed

stayed at some Cracker Barrels for the first time... free is always good
upgraded my batteries and added some solar so could stay off grid whenever I wanted

last trip FL- Toledo OH 1200m each way 3 adults
gray water was the biggest concern .. emptied gray twice and Black tank Once

saved a bunch not having to pay for overnight stops
This trip estimate save $300 ... paid for my two solar panels.
even some Interstate rest areas have dump points....
Old 04-22-2024, 06:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainron19 View Post
Apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but we’re about to take a very long trip next month .. we will be gone for approximately 30 days. Our plan is to travel from New Jersey to Texas so we can see our son graduate from the Air Force Academy.

Most legs of the trip are going to be in 4 to 6 hours spurts of driving with staying at campgrounds 2-3 nights to relax and sight see but there will be a few instances where we are only going to stay over in a campground one night.

For the times that we’re only staying one night in a campground I was planning on doing minimal set up. Ie: just hooking up water and electric and not worrying about hooking up to the sewer. Is it OK to do a day of driving with waste in the black tank? Something tells me it is actually a little beneficial because it’s going to stop waste from caking with all the moving around.

Going on extended trips is one of the best ways to "learn" how to optimize your resources and equipment. We are presently "boondocking " at a Cracker Barrel in NW VA. The previous responses are spot on....they all learned through the school of "hard knocks" !!!

PS You do know the AF Academy is located in Colorado Springs....right ???

2022 FR3 34DS
2021 FR Wildwood Lodge 42FK
2017 Thor Chateau 24B
ForestGump34DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 07:16 PM   #8

coming to texas stay at ARMY CORP PARKS . SEE if you qualify for a access pass on rec.gov. cost is cheap, same quality as st. parks.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 07:26 PM   #9
Site Team

Moved thread from the General Tech and Repair section to the On the Road/Travel Chat section.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 07:37 PM   #10

No problem traveling with water in the black and grey water tanks. One night shouldn't result in too much water in the tanks.

When we towed a trailer and staying only one night, we'd try to get pull through sites at rv campgrounds.

We'd chock the wheels, put down stabilizers, and unhook the electric cable from the truck before hooking up to campground power. We had a friend who didn't unhook the electric cable from their truck and got a feedback surge to the truck that burned out the electronics in their truck. Shouldn't happen, but it did. Chocking the wheels adds an additional safety factor.

Six hours is a long time to tow unless you've got two drivers. Safe journey.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:24 PM   #11

When we travel I keep water in the freshwater tank. That way on the late one nighters I just hook up power cord. This coming trip in June my first night will be that way off work at 4 on road by 5 shut down around 10pm then onward around 7:30 for second longest leg of our 22 day trip. On a side note congrats on graduating from basic and thanks to the son for serving as former USAF dependent and veteran IYAAYAS

Tags
question