Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2021, 09:12 PM   #1

Looking for opinions on RV specific GPS units

My DW struggles to use Google Maps on her phone to help with navigation. Rather than get a new DW, I'm looking at getting a Garmin RV specific GPS like this one on Amazon Has anyone else gone this route? Other GPS options (I admit, I prefer Garmin products over most others I've used)?
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
My DW struggles to use Google Maps on her phone to help with navigation. Rather than get a new DW, I'm looking at getting a Garmin RV specific GPS like this one on Amazon Has anyone else gone this route? Other GPS options (I admit, I prefer Garmin products over most others I've used)?
Bought the 890RV unit several months ago from techrv.com and I love it. I have used it several times but I am still learning how to use it. It has way more bells and whistles than my previous unit. The large screen is easy to see on the dash.
Ronnie

It is said the Good Lord does not take away from man's allotted time on Earth the time he spends Camping, Fishing or Hunting. If this be true, I may yet attain immortality!
wtbuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:03 PM   #3

wtbuck - does the 890RV come with lifetime map updates? I didn't see that anywhere on the Amazon listing for it.

Thanks again for the info!
Old 05-28-2021, 04:29 PM   #4

Mine did. If you go through Amazon you may want to check with them or Garmin customer service.

Ronnie

It is said the Good Lord does not take away from man's allotted time on Earth the time he spends Camping, Fishing or Hunting. If this be true, I may yet attain immortality!
wtbuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:34 AM   #5

I'm pretty sure it is lifetime updates. Just an FYI, you can buy the RV890 direct from Garmin for the same $399 price right now. That is how I bought mine. The RV890 replaces a 11 year old Nuvi 765T and I really like the big 8" screen. Much easier to see. I am also using the suction cup that attaches to the windshield. It has pretty strong grip and holds it real well. Like others mentioned, it does have a lot of bells and whistles but I like how it can be linked to my phone using the Garmin Drive app and then I also can check weather and get current traffic info and updates. I also went a step further and got the Garmin BC35 camera that also links up to this. I am still testing it out but it's nice not needing another display to look at a backup camera. I mounted mine in the spot for mounting a furrion camera. I just mounted it directly to the plastic plate that normally gets removed to mount the furrion camera. I drilled a hole in the panel to access the pre-wired power. I carefully pulled out the harness and it is connected to the rear clearance lamp wiring by little lever connectors. I just swapped out the furrion harness and connected the BC35 power wires using the lever connectors.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:03 PM   #6

I have had the Garmin RV for 8+ years. I have a larger 5th wheel. So the ability to configure a profile that has my width, length and height has been indispensable. The go’s has the larger route snd we use our phones to find restaurants and gas stations as were are travelling
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:22 PM   #7

I had a Garmin RV 660 and just upgraded to the Garmin RV1090. Love it , easy to use, big 10" screen. As for Garmin guaranteeing free map updates for life. You need to read the fine print, it means as long as that model is manufactured. Thxs
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:15 PM   #8
NXR

I have the RV 785, which is a 780 but with a built-in dashcam. It's a 7" diagonal display. The newer ones are bigger, which may cause a problem with blocking the windshield on a tow vehicle.

They do have lifetime map updates.

Ray
Old 05-30-2021, 05:39 AM   #9
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
The GPS doesn't care whether you are driving or boating. I use Co-Pilot because it doesn't need an internet connection and will work in the "Badlands". Cartography updates come down every month or so and are free (beware of apps where updates are spread out and definitely not free. My Ford SYNC3 navigation is pretty good, but not as good as my Tesla. https://copilotgps.com/en-us/rv-navigation/ You can put it on a tablet so you'll have plenty of screen real estate.
2018 F-150 4X4 Max tow EcoBoost 3.5
2020 Tesla Model Y
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:26 AM   #10

Garmin RV 890 or RV 1090. Might be time to get new DW!!
azwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:29 AM   #11

Thanks all for the feedback and details on some of the features. I think I'm sold and will order one soon. Then will come the fun part of getting the DW familiar enough with it that she can be a top notch navigator!
Old 05-30-2021, 11:30 PM   #12

Don't trust the suction cup - it WILL come crashing down and startle the bejezus out of you. Find a way to solidly attach the unit.
geoff270ssf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 02:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff270ssf View Post
Don't trust the suction cup - it WILL come crashing down and startle the bejezus out of you. Find a way to solidly attach the unit.
With the older ones I'm in complete agreement but this newer one that came with my RV890 seems pretty robust and has stayed attached so far. One thing you can do is clean the section of window really good where you plan on mounting it.
Old 05-31-2021, 06:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyk101 View Post
With the older ones I'm in complete agreement but this newer one that came with my RV890 seems pretty robust and has stayed attached so far. One thing you can do is clean the section of window really good where you plan on mounting it.
Just wait...
geoff270ssf is offline   Reply With Quote